Generic 'Which headphones should I start with' thread.
Jul 5, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #16 of 49
Edited.

Are knock-offs really common around here?
Last place I would've thought there would be a market for it.

And yeah I get the feeling that I'm going to be going deep down the rabbit hole after getting my first pair.

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #17 of 49
Just bought he HFI-580's (erugh so expensive, only store in Australia is insanely expensive as opposed to Amazon's $130 price :|). I still have an onboard soundcard on this computer, will that be a problem? Or do I need to go out and buy a decent soundcard to support these phones. I don't really know anything about soundcards / amps / dacs so any help or links would be appreciated.

But I guess (hope) they'll sound good out my ipod?

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #19 of 49

Quote:
Yes it will. You don't have to worry about soundcards, DACs or amps if you're a first-timer with the HFI-580.

Well I mean.. having said that if I wasn't a first time user what would the difference be?
Are you saying I won't be able to hear the difference?

If so I should have just gone for the M50's? :l

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #20 of 49
Ive had the HFI-580's for about a year now.  great headphones, although after extended use the head band starts to hurt my head.

Im thinking of grabbing the Shure 440's for like $50, ive heard they are went comfortable

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #21 of 49

Quote:
Ive had the HFI-580's for about a year now.  great headphones, although after extended use the head band starts to hurt my head.

Im thinking of grabbing the Shure 440's for like $50, ive heard they are went comfortable

Actually now that im here, can anyone recommend some closed headphones that would be the next step up from the entry level m50s and 580s?  Looking to upgrade, maybe around $200?

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #22 of 49

Quote:
Actually now that im here, can anyone recommend some closed headphones that would be the next step up from the entry level m50s and 580s?  Looking to upgrade, maybe around $200?

Denon AH-D2000. I'd suggest some, if not all of the 'markl mod' and if you have the means and skill or know someone who does, wood them out. A well enclosed and damped D2000 with distanced ear cups exceeds a stock D5000, and can at least compete with if not surpass a stock D7000 in some areas.

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #23 of 49

Quote:
Well I mean.. having said that if I wasn't a first time user what would the difference be?
Are you saying I won't be able to hear the difference?

If so I should have just gone for the M50's? :l

I would consider the M50 as a downgrade, but that's just me.

As for the improvements, I'm hearing only slight differences when I go from my iPod to my stock Toshiba. IMO, I don't see the need to upgrade my soundcard, but an amp may help a little. However, the HFI-580 run at about 90% potential ampless, so the differences will be minute.

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #24 of 49
Wait i'm confused, I ordered the ultrasone dj1 pro just a few days ago off amazon and paid only 150AUD for them (compared to headphonic's price 300AUD) they are on their way to me right now, amazon was perfectly fine with me being in Australia, don't tell me you paid 250AUD for the HFI 580.
confused_face_2.gif

edit: I've added some of my order infomation 

[size=small]
[size=small]
[size=small]  [/size]
[/size]
[size=small]

[/size]
[size=small]

[/size]
[/size]

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #25 of 49
Honestly, I do love my HD25s more than the M50s that I've sold. Although for instrumentals, there isn't as much soundstage which is the only downside I can see honestly, due to the on-ear design rather than over-the-ear. I bought my HD25s for $168 w/.. free? or like $5~10 (don't remember honestly) USD shipping on ebay from a top rated seller (+ authorized). They sound great for both my hip hop and pop / rock / etc. needs :). Bass is crisp, although it doesn't rumble like the M50s, but I had to amp up my M50s to really hear the rumble. Everything sounds better to me on the HD25s despite the fact they have pretty much no sound stage and has basically no rumbling bass (which I do love).

I also have an onboard soundcard, and really, I don't think dedicated audio cards will help THAT much. I've built my desktop from the ground up, and the only thing (well really, two things) that didn't cross my mind was an audio card (and a network card). I don't have experience with 100+ ones, but for say, an E7, I noticed NO difference. Then again it could be just me and my damaged hearing but I kind of doubt so :) (but then again my doctors tested me and nothing was wrong with my ears, although I do have tinnitus).

And let me just say that my $25 USD walmart earphones back then (albeit Koss) sounded much better to me than Beats Solo (although I don't know for Studios and Pros, don't recall how they sounded). They were also in-ear monitors though, but they still had better bass to me than Beats. Mids were recessed though, but not as harsh as Beats.

For the open vs closed argument, I honestly don't know because the only open headphone I have had so far were AD700s (and they were for gaming, honestly) and I HATED them. They gave me a headache and I have no clue why (though I hated their pads). I returned them, and the soundstage wasn't much better to me than DT770 Premiums / even the M50s (although the AD700s did have a bit more than the M50s). For soft songs they sounded great though (although I still preferred how my current headphones sound over the AD700s, but I have yet to try others. Thinking about getting some Grados next or something).

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #26 of 49
Quote:
Wait i'm confused, I ordered the ultrasone dj1 pro just a few days ago off amazon and paid only 150AUD for them (compared to headphonic's price 300AUD) they are on their way to me right now, amazon was perfectly fine with me being in Australia

I did the same thing, just ordered a pair of HFI-680 and it went through the system fine.

Some items have restrictions and some dont. I think one particular difference is Amazon themselves seem to ship Ultrasones, but a lot of Amazon sellers dont. For other brands, or for Ultrasone models that arent in stock from Amazon itself, it can be much harder to get them shipped.

For example, in looking through my options before deciding on the 680 I found that a lot of the Shures listed on there wouldnt ship.

So the advice that Amazon wont ship is incorrect overall, but it is often the case.

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #27 of 49

Quote:
I did the same thing, just ordered a pair of HFI-680 and it went through the system fine.

Some items have restrictions and some dont. I think one particular difference is Amazon themselves seem to ship Ultrasones, but a lot of Amazon sellers dont. For other brands, or for Ultrasone models that arent in stock from Amazon itself, it can be much harder to get them shipped.

For example, in looking through my options before deciding on the 680 I found that a lot of the Shures listed on there wouldnt ship.

So the advice that Amazon wont ship is incorrect overall, but it is often the case.

seems like the OP just lost $120 AUD 
triportsad.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-DJ1-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000GU77SC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311418594&sr=8-2

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #28 of 49
The m 50 and hfi 580 as i know of are very easy to drive a zune portable mp3 player has enough juice to make them loud.

I suggest the hfi 580, it is a good can for entry into audiophile terrority has more bass than pro 900 in terms of slam punch and how they can shake on your head whereas the pro 900 does not.

The hfi 580 i think is okay for rock,v good with trance dnb electronica that sort of music.

Get the hfi 580 and get some cheap options you don't need to spend alot to be fine with hfi 580 and also m 50 regarding dacs amps etc.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #29 of 49
A normal pc soundcard does not have enough ommpf to make the hfi 580 shine to bring out the bass when its loud etc.

Get your self one of these 

Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card with built in Headphone Amp [90-YAA0K0-0UAN0BZ]

If your cash strapped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back