Geshelli j2
Nov 27, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #91 of 198
Sounds like my Element DAC II+.
I think I'll like it. I don't need any 'special sauce' from a DAC in this chain; only that it be very capable and spacious.
That’s my exact experience with the j2 4499 specifically with the sparkos dual descreste opamps. That’s the great thing about this dac, if you want a bit of flavor you can swap opamps.

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #92 of 198
Preference is key, i like when technical capability meets flavor, i like to think of clean as something needed for an audio engineer, but as the listener, i like some warmth, some coziness added to my listening session. Furthermore, my amp is what I like to consider warm enough, yet it was not able to pull any sort of body from the j2

Preference is key, i like when technical capability meets flavor, i like to think of clean as something needed for an audio engineer, but as the listener, i like some warmth, some coziness added to my listening session. Furthermore, my amp is what I like to consider warm enough, yet it was not able to pull any sort of body from the j2 4499
I agree 100. That’s why I usually have a few great dacs. Switch them out when I want. The differences aren’t really ever night and day for me if I stay within a certain price range, but they are enough to be able to chose what emphasis I want if I want some change and I think that’s great. It’s like having the ability so sprinkle a bit of seasoning on my sound from time to time.

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #93 of 198
The Geshelli J2s 4499 sounded so much like my Denafrips Pontus in warmth & tonal color. Listening with the Sparkos SS 3602 the Pontus was better at orchestral violins, but after switching the single ended output to Sparkos SS 2590, the Geshelli was the sweeter & more detailed. The Geshelli is now my favorite DAC: purity in that it does not seem to slice & dice the texture, warmth, incisive speed, imaging. This year I also had a iFi Pro iDSD & heard a Gustard R26 & Denafrips Ares 12th. The JDs is also powered by a linear power supply which adds more body, warmth & juice.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #94 of 198
The Geshelli J2s 4499 sounded so much like my Denafrips Pontus in warmth & tonal color. Listening with the Sparkos SS 3602 the Pontus was better at orchestral violins, but after switching the single ended output to Sparkos SS 2590, the Geshelli was the sweeter & more detailed. The Geshelli is now my favorite DAC: purity in that it does not seem to slice & dice the texture, warmth, incisive speed, imaging. This year I also had a iFi Pro iDSD & heard a Gustard R26 & Denafrips Ares 12th. The JDs is also powered by a linear power supply which adds more body, warmth & juice.
Are you saying that you had the Sparkos SS3602 in the J2S single-ended path and replaced it with the SS2590 (with an adaptor, I assume - 6-pin to 8-pin) ?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #95 of 198
I reckon you could get a couple of those onto the balanced outputs using the Burson extender things. Just have to position it all carefully I guess.

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #96 of 198
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #97 of 198
Very tempting.

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #98 of 198
I was so disappointed with the sound coming from 4499 with sparkos ops that i didn’t even bother trying different power supplies. Returning it this week, and it’s not to speak down on Geshelli, awesome company and i love what they represent, but the j2 just wasn’t for me, i like some heft to my music and while the j2 presented the music impressively, it started to sound rather boring, quickly. To each his own i suppose.
This is suprising to hear. I got my 4499 J2S with Sparkos OpAmp and it’s anything but boring. I hear great dynamics, bass depth and soundstage. I guess system synergy could be at play here. Also, I have mostly been listening via speakers and it sounds great to my ears. I’ll see if it has the same effect via headphones. It has been my experience that I hear less differentiation/impact from DACs in my headphones setups than via my speakers.

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #99 of 198
This is suprising to hear. I got my 4499 J2S with Sparkos OpAmp and it’s anything but boring. I hear great dynamics, bass depth and soundstage. I guess system synergy could be at play here. Also, I have mostly been listening via speakers and it sounds great to my ears. I’ll see if it has the same effect via headphones. It has been my experience that I hear less differentiation/impact from DACs in my headphones setups than via my speakers.
Glad your enjoying it, and i can definitely see why people like it, just a little light and over smoothed for my taste

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #100 of 198
I received my J2S with 4499EX & Sparkos 3602 yesterday, 4 weeks to the day I placed my order which was great. Have about 3 hours listing in so it is very early for impressions. So far I believe it to be an excellent DAC, the best I have owned so far (six total) since 1995. I do believe in system synergy so results may vary for each listener as to which Geshelli configuration would suit their needs. Currently my only headphones are Grado RS2e's with an older Burson Soloist SL amp and I stream Qobuz via SPDIF coax through a Wiim Pro. My previous DAC was a Topping E50. I am only using the SE outs due to the fact the the older Burson is SE only. The smooth nature of my J2S configuration is excellent with Grado's. Overall vs. the E50 (which is a fine DAC in its price range) the J2S stages and images better with more pronounced depth and excellent overall musicality across the board. It just plain sounds better, there seems to be a layer of congestion on some music that has been eliminated with the J2S that was present with the E50.
So far so good, I think it is great.

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #101 of 198
After reading up a bit. I found some had reviewed a few and ultimately settled on this one...
I have 2 and I think they work well.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtVtj9e
Thanks for the advice. Hooked up this very power supply with my J2S (AKM 4493/Sparkos SS3602) last night. Hard pressed to discern a big sonic difference, but it is sounding great today. Maybe smoother? Maybe placebo? Don't care - I like the idea.

Also received the Sparkos SS2590 with pre-installed 8-pin adaptor in the mail recently (an impulsive Black Friday discount purchase). Will report on how it changes the sound after I have a chance to swap it in - probably mid-January or so. Still have not tried the Burson V6V Vivid that Burson sent me for free. That one will be trickier to fit in the case.

Dec 12, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #102 of 198
Has anyone had any luck installing the huge Sparkos dual mounted SS2590 opamps into both RCA and XLR opamp slots on the J2 AKM4499? I do have the Burson opamp extention lead but I'm looking at photos on the internet of the board of the J2 4499 with the massive size of the Sparkos dual SS2590 installed in the RCA slot and when I eyeball it from the photo, I don't see that even with the Burson extentions I would be able to install the massive beasts in the XLR slots as well as the RCA.

Has anyone successfully done this?

Dec 12, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #103 of 198
Has anyone had any luck installing the huge Sparkos dual mounted SS2590 opamps into both RCA and XLR opamp slots on the J2 AKM4499? I do have the Burson opamp extention lead but I'm looking at photos on the internet of the board of the J2 4499 with the massive size of the Sparkos dual SS2590 installed in the RCA slot and when I eyeball it from the photo, I don't see that even with the Burson extentions I would be able to install the massive beasts in the XLR slots as well as the RCA.

Has anyone successfully done this?

Have you seen the link I posted in post #96 above? That will answer your question.

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #105 of 198
I have done it. Sadly I don't think we took pictures. We did it before the retail launch. Thought I mentioned it in my posts.

So, yeah, I have 3 SS2590 Dual Pro in my J2-99EX

You actually only need one extender in one spot. The one furthest to the front. Other two need risers only.

⭐ I also had to use a right angle dip8 adapter on the board.

You truly need a 10mm extender really. This gives you the means to put it in that spot. I will illustrate after the tub in a follow up. If I remember.

I had my extentions made on AliExpress. About $10 USD for 2 custom 10mm extensions.

I used high grade self conforming and self adhering electrical/thermal isolation tape.

- Both around the angled Dip8 adapter and specifically around the opamp like an upside down box. As the opamp sits upside down in a spot with as few circuits on the board as possible but still needs isolation to be safe.

Works fine, no issues. Sounds amazing!

➡️ If Grandpa Geshelli makes the box ever so slightly taller... Like the Archel 3P, you could mount 2 opamps regularly and then the one with one or two risers and just a right angle adapter. Maybe a support structure

It was super easy...

I have a cool led mod planned with little glass domes and illuminated sockets for the top of the case.

Make em look like tubes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back