Get the Looks of Vista, on XP. For Free!
Feb 14, 2007 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

exX08

500+ Head-Fier
http://www.windowsxlive.net/

I just downloaded it, I will take a screenshot. BTW In order to get the transparent effect you have to buy Windows Blinds, but it looks good without it.

windows.jpg

Feb 14, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 22
"Is all the stuff on the right of the screen ( clock, temp guage, etc.) part of it?"

Yup it's Vista. Asta laVista Baby.

We have Vista here at work. Seems if you know how to use a computer it is confusing since everything is dumbed down. Think AOL as an OS.

Mitch

Feb 14, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Seems if you know how to use a computer it is confusing since everything is dumbed down. Think AOL as an OS.

Kinda reminds me of HP's Dashboard (for Windows 3.11). Anyone here old enough to remember that?
blink.gif

What's the memory footprint on that Windowsxlive?

Feb 14, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 22
Uhggg.. WHY would anybody want to do this? I have all of xp's eye candy settings disabled as it is.

The only useful program like this is Calmira, which made windows 3.1 like windows 95.

But vista is just stupid eye candy, I don't see why anybody would even care or want to bog down their computer with it.

Feb 14, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kinda reminds me of HP's Dashboard (for Windows 3.11). Anyone here old enough to remember that?
blink.gif

What's the memory footprint on that Windowsxlive?

I don't thinkt theres much.

And the Widgets are included.

Feb 14, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 22
Personally, I'd rather just install WindowBlinds and LiteStep. Get all of the widget/module functionality of the Vista desktop without having a good chunk of your screen eaten up by oversized clocks and gauges and whatnot. Plus, I'd imagine that LiteStep uses less system resources than Explorer with layers of extras.

Feb 14, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 22
Right now you can't use I-tunes or your I-pod with Vista as Apple is not ready is that correct? Why bother if your XP is working OK. I think my next move will be back to Apple and a 17" Laptop with 3 Gig of Ram. I purhcased one at Christmas for my wife who is a professional musician along with Pro tools and Digital Profomer. Now this year sometime it will be my turn to go Apple.....good bye PC's.....

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #14 of 22
Ehh I played around with docks and widgets and whatnot for a while, I didn't really like them. Most of them I never used and setting them up was always a hassle. Now all I use is a simple Windowblinds skin and some extensions for FF (like the weather).

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only useful program like this is Calmira, which made windows 3.1 like windows 95.

God I loved that. Used to use it on my old laptop. Until I spent a whole day haxing the real win95 onto it.

But yeah I don't see the point of this one personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back