Going Electrostat
Jun 28, 2019 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ableza

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, I am about to take a plunge into the world of electrostatic headphones. I need the help of Head-Fi opinions.

Stax SR-007 or 009
MrSpeakers Voce
HiFiMan Jade II

Tell me what to buy and why. Make your case. Spend my money. :dt880smile:
And thanks.

Jun 28, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 9
I'd find a dealer with all 3 that can produce source and amps to drive them. I'd listen to a large amount of my favorite music. I'd pick the top two. Have a shot at other amps? Take it. One more long session. Make sure you feel good, are well rested, and the barometric pressure is where you like it for long sessions. For me I get headaches if its rainy.

My fav combo is the Voce and HFM Jr. Good bass, good thick body, high end decent detail, not peaky or over detailed.

Meh on the Jade.

007 & 009 - detail uber alles, fey bass.

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 9
Jun 29, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 9
I'd find a dealer with all 3 that can produce source and amps to drive them. I'd listen to a large amount of my favorite music. I'd pick the top two. Have a shot at other amps? Take it. One more long session. Make sure you feel good, are well rested, and the barometric pressure is where you like it for long sessions. For me I get headaches if its rainy.

My fav combo is the Voce and HFM Jr. Good bass, good thick body, high end decent detail, not peaky or over detailed.

Meh on the Jade.

007 & 009 - detail uber alles, fey bass.
Jr amp sounds like there a slight a bit of warmth compared to Carbon. Carbon may sound a bit more separated and clearer in sound, but also may sound a bit much to the point of incisive level, but on the other hand, Jr amp sound a bit more blended-in, warmer, and the timbre may come off more natural. This is with VOCE and 009. Jr headphone was the bottleneck in the system. The amp was fine.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Jr amp sounds like there a slight a bit of warmth compared to Carbon. Carbon may sound a bit more separated and clearer in sound, but also may sound a bit much to the point of incisive level, but on the other hand, Jr amp sound a bit more blended-in, warmer, and the timbre may come off more natural. This is with VOCE and 009. Jr headphone was the bottleneck in the system. The amp was fine.

Natural timbre is the correct term, inviting warmth without being tubey or sloppy. Think of the warmth of the HD-650 over the HD-600, then toss out the veil and thickness. Warmth and transparency - talk about near/at the ideal.

Jun 29, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 9
Natural timbre is the correct term, inviting warmth without being tubey or sloppy. Think of the warmth of the HD-650 over the HD-600, then toss out the veil and thickness. Warmth and transparency - talk about near/at the ideal.
Yup, that's a good analogy. I like the 650 (or 6XX my case) with good amping (enhances bass, the tightness, less warm, more articulation), but I agree that the attack on the highs should be stronger. I think it's due to what people would consider 'veil.' Which saves my ears from excessive peaks, but there are caveats to that as well. Even with this, still sound more dynamic probably due to the upper-mids elevation and mid-bass.

Slight warmth is fine, but like you say, thick tubey type isn't good. Lately I realized, thick mids smoothen the articulation too much, and creates perception of slowed response.

Thick tubey mids can make sound disjoint of low to mids and treble. Low to mids lacking articulation causing the disjoint from the treble sparkle.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 9
I auditioned the Stax 'stats and I liked the 007 more than the 009. Next up is to find someone with a Voce to give a listen...

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #9 of 9
Ive had the luck to try all the electros you mentioned at an audio salon.

My favourite was the VOCE, but for best bang for buck id go for the jade 2, being better value for money.

I didnt like the stax build quality and felt the smaller round ear cups less comfortable for listening than the mrspeakers or hifiman. Also, if anything happens to the stax, goodluck with customer service or parts. From what ive heard, they're terrible to deal with. Mrspeaker has great customer service however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back