Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 11, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #10,441 of 62,501
Seems like he’s saying the T1 isn’t great for taking phone calls and the controls aren’t as nice...I like the way he describes the sound signature of the T1, that’s more up my alley I think. MPow sounds more detailed and resolving but more balanced...I still haven’t received my T1 yet...hopefully it will arrive soon!

Hmm, I just the KZ T1, and quite impressed as my first foray into TWS (even if it does have what feels like 7 different volume settings - I find it sounds best 2nd from max)

But I did just read your review and mentioning the MPow 5 having a better sound?

It’s on sale with 7% off on amazon, but is it really that much of an upgrade over the KZ T1’s?

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #10,442 of 62,501
Are there any buds that do the ambient or transparent mode well? I really wanted the Galaxy Buds before I read some reviews that the sound was meh and the ambient mode was unpleasant to use. The Jabras seem to be so-so overall. @FYLegend didn't have very kind things to say about the Firefly Pro. Is it just immature tech at this point?
It's still quite usable, just sounds like a call microphone with some hissing/buzzing. It also increases in volume after resuming from a phone call such that you need to restart it. I've also noticed it briefly cut out on the right side when facing direct sunlight, oddly enough. I have the black version but there is a narrow see through window for the lights.

JLab Air Executive is another alternative with ambient sound, as is the upcoming MIFO O4.

I can't get the Sabbat E12 to seal flush in my ears, particularly the left bud. The right bud definitely has more bass, otherwise I'm just not getting the left one sealed properly. If I pull it out partially it sounds more balanced but the fit is not very secure. The sound is more airy and lean than I was expecting.

Aug 11, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #10,443 of 62,501
Aug 11, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #10,444 of 62,501
They had them on display at best buy. Very interesting experience because it's like not having anything inside or around your ears, but hearing stuff and thinking the sound is part of he environment due to this. I would rather get a good set of sunglasses (of personal taste) and a quality iem. The practicality of it is an issue. The obvious hurdle is that your ears are open to noise around you. If try hard enough, you can maybe think of a usage scenario for these?...

I tried them at the Bose store. Virtually no bass but sound ok for what they are. The battery life isn’t good. I need prescription so they were just a curiosity for me.

Aug 11, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #10,445 of 62,501
For me the journey was kinda the opposite. I had my first Bose product as a teenager. I trusted that their products were as good as their reputation. But as time went on I listened and learned. Two decades later I understand now that Bose makes an inferior product. Always has. The sound is decent but there are offerings that cost half as much that sound much better. And Bose is constantly trying to tell the consumer what they want. It is a product for people who don’t know how to make decisions for themselves and trust their own ears. I have no interest in passive listening tech or paying too much for a subpar product.

I began buying Bose products in the last 2 decades so I am your polar opposite. I like the sound even though I know they equalize the sound. I have run over 1,000 miles using the Bose Sound sport wireless I purchased for $80 from the Bose outlet store. My Bose outdoor speakers survived hurricane Harvey and are still providing great sound. I don’t fly without taking my Bose noise canceling headphones or earbuds. I also take a Bose Mini Bluetooth speaker when I travel. I think the old cliches about Bose are no longer valid.

That being said, it’s true that many audio products are available that cost less and sound better. I just don’t think that applies to the products I mentioned above.

Aug 11, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #10,446 of 62,501
I tried them at the Bose store. Virtually no bass but sound ok for what they are. The battery life isn’t good. I need prescription so they were just a curiosity for me.
Interesting thoughts. Now I wonder what's a frequency response of bone conduction transducers. How would you measure it? lol

Here's one from Rtings with a huge pit in the bass area, the balance overall is terrible.

trekz-air-raw-frequency-response-l-graph-small.jpg

Remember when earbuds were common? Since the earbuds didn't isolate so well, the concern was ambient noise level being too much that the listener would turn up the volume to possible hearing damage level (if the ambient noise is loud enough, and I'm sure this can happen during flights with such high engine noise). Also, you hardly got any low frequencies with those, and airplane cabin noises are pretty significant in the low frequencies, and they can mask other frequencies, so people probably turned them up to dangerous level on the flights.

So, one take away from this is that ANC is useful in certain situations.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #10,447 of 62,501
For me the journey was kinda the opposite. I had my first Bose product as a teenager. I trusted that their products were as good as their reputation. But as time went on I listened and learned. Two decades later I understand now that Bose makes an inferior product. Always has. The sound is decent but there are offerings that cost half as much that sound much better. And Bose is constantly trying to tell the consumer what they want. It is a product for people who don’t know how to make decisions for themselves and trust their own ears. I have no interest in passive listening tech or paying too much for a subpar product.

Bose makes a lot of products, and to make a blanket statement that they're universally inferior is a lazy generalization. Sure, they make products which aren't competitive at their price point (I would never buy their speakers), but they also make several that are quite good and/or are best-in-class. They're like any other company in that regard: some hits and some misses. You could make the argument that they have a tendency to overprice their products because of the name on the box, but it's not like they push out crap across the board.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #10,448 of 62,501
Aug 11, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #10,449 of 62,501
The new SOUL also has an ambient mode and is quite small for $55-ish. https://www.soulelectronics.com/pro...rue-wireless-earphones?variant=29093729337453

Not sure how they are yet though.

These look like a slight upgrade to those for a few more bucks. https://smile.amazon.com/Soul-Elect...-xs2&qid=1565573149&s=electronics&sr=1-1&th=1

I found a couple reviews on smaller sites, they seem to be pretty favorable. One said his only problem was the sound was bad with the provided ear tips because he couldn't get a good fit. Once he put a bigger set on, they sounded great. V shaped sound signature. I might try em out!

Aug 11, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #10,451 of 62,501
Are there any buds that do the ambient or transparent mode well? I really wanted the Galaxy Buds before I read some reviews that the sound was meh and the ambient mode was unpleasant to use. The Jabras seem to be so-so overall. @FYLegend didn't have very kind things to say about the Firefly Pro. Is it just immature tech at this point?
I guess no one is aware of the non advertised ambient/hear thru mode of the Mifo 05’s that is found in both the standard and professional versions...?

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #10,452 of 62,501
I guess no one is aware of the non advertised ambient/hear thru mode of the Mifo 05’s that is found in both the standard and professional versions...?
Even if it does have it, which even the manual mentioned nothing about, I hated the tiny buttons and pressing them sometimes caused the right side to disconnect. I already sent them back to Amazon.

Aug 12, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #10,454 of 62,501

Users who are viewing this thread

Back