Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 13, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #55,247 of 62,958
I posed the question a few weeks ago on how much I needed to spend on wired earbuds to basically get better sound than the current top-tier TWS earbuds... some people said that some semi-cheap chi-fi buds would be better than the best TWS even, and some people said that person was completely wrong.

Well, honestly I'm inclined to agree with that person, and the answer to my question was basically $85, which is kinda funny.

Aug 13, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #55,249 of 62,958
I posed the question a few weeks ago on how much I needed to spend on wired earbuds to basically get better sound than the current top-tier TWS earbuds... some people said that some semi-cheap chi-fi buds would be better than the best TWS even, and some people said that person was completely wrong.

Well, honestly I'm inclined to agree with that person, and the answer to my question was basically $85, which is kinda funny.
I was certainly one of those that said that a cheap iem can easily compete with a high end TWS. I think I said around $50 would be enough, but as you have plumped for $85, your now in TOTL TWS territory :ksc75smile:

Aug 13, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #55,250 of 62,958
@cr3ativ3

That's because everyone is trying to do a slightly different variation of the same tuning and sound presentation.

Some one find me an iem that does what the Nuratrue Pro/ Denon PerL Pro do.

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #55,251 of 62,958
@cr3ativ3

That's because everyone is trying to do a slightly different variation of the same tuning and sound presentation.

Some one find me an iem that does what the Nuratrue Pro/ Denon PerL Pro do.
What is their frequency response tuning like?

And why could another TWS not be made to sound close with EQ? I think my MTW3 have a pretty good frequency response with the EQ I’m using.

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #55,252 of 62,958
What is their frequency response tuning like?

And why could another TWS not be made to sound close with EQ? I think my MTW3 have a pretty good frequency response with the EQ I’m using.
TWS are based on insanely cheap consumer earphone, so most of them either have an completely muddy sound or what japanese call "donshari" which means lots of bass and lots of treble.

As this tuning sounds rather garbage but is loved by the majority of people because bass and bass and bass (no matter the quality, most important is to hear a lot of it.

The Nuratrue Pro just doesn't sound bad, thats all, so nothing special and nothing excellent or good. They too are just average consumer grade earphone but they use a tuning that is not horroundes which is an novelty in the TWS space.

But they are nowhere close to good. They are the one-eyed between the blind, but they are not the only one either.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #55,253 of 62,958
TWS are based on insanely cheap consumer earphone, so most of them either have an completely muddy sound or what japanese call "donshari" which means lots of bass and lots of treble.

As this tuning sounds rather garbage but is loved by the majority of people because bass and bass and bass (no matter the quality, most important is to hear a lot of it.

The Nuratrue Pro just doesn't sound bad, thats all, so nothing special and nothing excellent or good. They too are just average consumer grade earphone but they use a tuning that is not horroundes which is an novelty in the TWS space.

But they are nowhere close to good. They are the one-eyed between the blind, but they are not the only one either.
This thread is 3800 pages long and you basically just trashed all of us here on headfi. Pretty condescending post. The vast majority here would vehemently disagree with your blanket statement about TWS headphones. Please go back to your fancy audiophile world where those of us here don't belong. And learn how to use spell check while you're at it.

Aug 13, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #55,254 of 62,958
Sadly the MTW3 are going back to Amazon. They hurt my ears, don’t fit well and seem to collect sweat where my other tws don’t. Once sweat is in them, they are awful. They also have nearly useless ANC (although wind mode was decent). Strange ergonomics. On to the next …
A little while back I posted about sweat getting into my MTW3 and making them sound "squishy." A few days later the right earbud basically gave out and I returned them to Amazon for a refund. I guess my experience was not unique.

I actually think my AKG N40's are my best-sounding true wireless earbuds at this moment. They have great bass and, since I use them at the gym, the fact that they are able to produce louder volumes than say, the Sony wireless earbuds is a big plus. No problems with sweating, either.

Slight digression: I still see a fair number of people wearing actual headphones at the gym. Our of curiosity I tried this with my refurb Sony WH-1000xm5's and within a few minutes of starting moderate aerobic exercise there was sweat on the earpads. I put them away.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #55,255 of 62,958
This thread is 3800 pages long and you basically just trashed all of us here on headfi. Pretty condescending post. The vast majority here would vehemently disagree with your blanket statement about TWS headphones. Please go back to your fancy audiophile world where those of us here don't belong. And learn how to use spell check while you're at it.
Yes, you’re right Clerk.. It’s undeniable and fact that TWS have come a super long way, and in my opinion, are the most fun/exciting corner in audio!!!

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #55,256 of 62,958
Yes, you’re right Clerk.. It’s undeniable and fact that TWS have come a super long way, and in my opinion, are the most fun/exciting corner in audio!!!
3800 pages. The most active thread on headfi by a mile. But yeah just dial up the treble and bass to 11 and take our money. I suspect @nobleaudio would beg to differ with the post as well.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #55,258 of 62,958
A little while back I posted about sweat getting into my MTW3 and making them sound "squishy." A few days later the right earbud basically gave out and I returned them to Amazon for a refund. I guess my experience was not unique.

I actually think my AKG N40's are my best-sounding true wireless earbuds at this moment. They have great bass and, since I use them at the gym, the fact that they are able to produce louder volumes than say, the Sony wireless earbuds is a big plus. No problems with sweating, either.

Slight digression: I still see a fair number of people wearing actual headphones at the gym. Our of curiosity I tried this with my refurb Sony WH-1000xm5's and within a few minutes of starting moderate aerobic exercise there was sweat on the earpads. I put them away.
Yeah this is exactly my experience. Squishy is right. Then they get uncomfortable and the sound gets hollow. Bummer.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #55,260 of 62,958
BTW, everyone I know listens to music and/or streams on their phones.. I know no one who owns a DAP…. Very specialized
Since we're talking about "true wireless" in this thread, is there any advantage to using a DAP for bluetooth streaming? I use a Fiio M11 Plus with my wired IEMs, but I see no reason to say, take it to the gym where I listen via bluetooth. People generally want their phones because it serves multiple uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back