Goldcab, new product introduction!
Jun 4, 2007 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hoosterw

500+ Head-Fier
The Qables “Goldcab” introduction.

After many requests from customers I finally was convinced that I should introduce a fully pure gold wired interconnect LOD for sale. I had already build and sold some and the feedback I got is all that was needed to take this step.

In line with my previous product introduction, Silvercab, I have named it Goldcab and have it also supported by its own logo and packaging.

Goldcab_logo_HI.jpg

Goldcabbox700.jpg

Now why gold? Gold is maybe (at first sight) worse for conductivity then copper or silver by the looks of it? A closer look at the physical and natural characteristics will learn that the impedance is maybe less but the crystalline structure is far better then that of silver or copper.
Gold has the (natural) big advantage that is not easy polluted and it does not corrode due to air or other influences. The crystalline structure is by itself much more perfect then that from silver or copper and therefore behaves much better from sound performance point of view.

Then the mechanical considerations? Gold is in principle a soft material but on the other hand it has a much tougher crystalline structure and is there for less susceptible to breaking then silver. Yes, it is softer but like grass it bends easy and does not break like the bigger stronger tree. It actually can have more then silver can. I guarantee the Goldcab the same way as I do with the Silvercab brand and I am confident about the mechanical quality.

Enough of the school book stuff, the sound???? Well this is a cable you do not hear at all!
It is so “not present”, no colouration, no harshness like some claim silver has, also no nice, warm bass as proclaimed by others for copper. This makes the music reach your ears just like it is meant to be.

Now to the mechanical build of the Goldcab. The balanced winding method that I have been applying so far for the SilverCab cables, can not be applied industrially for gold wire. So I had to revert to the hand winding method. But now I had to choose which method to use?
Just a standard winding or weaving?
Well, weaving gave the best sonically performance. And I can tell you, I have been listening to 5 different ‘hand’ type constructions since last autumn when I first produced a ‘gold’ LOD.

I fit the gold conductors in PTFE tubing and weave those in the desired pattern. Then I fit the whole in 5 layers of PTFE foil. The whole is then fitted in a Reflex Techflex sleeve.

Please find here some 3D images of the internal mechanics of the GoldCab:

goldcabstainlessreflex.jpg

goldcabblackreflex.jpg

The Goldcab comes with a certificate of the Gold. It is certified by me and my supplier and certifies the purity of the gold used. Each Certificate is signed and gets a unique serial-number.

I want customers to be sure that it is real pure gold what they get and that is why I certify it.
I have the gold wire specially manufactured to my specification by a supplier that also supplies the jewellery stores. He also signs off on the purity of the gold.
With the certificate comes a small part of the gold wire as example.

I only use: High Purity 99,99% gold (Au 999/9)

Analysis (ppm):
Fe2Pb0
Cu2Si0.5
Ag < 20S 0.2

Annealed, perfect temper. 77% IACS (International Annealing Copper Standard)

I hope this new product development will add another dimension to our already great and interesting HiFi hobby.

Thanks for your interest.

Hans Oosterwaal
Qables®

Jun 12, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will a Mini to Mini be available? If yes how much for a 7" tip to tip?

Hi mrarroyo,

Naturally they will become available.
mini-mini (Switchcraft) will be 200euro and right angled it will be 220euro.
These are the same price differences as with the Silvercab.

I am presently building the mini-mini and soon I will have pictures up.

Goldcab will only be produced in maximum lenghts of 2ft (60cm). That is the only restriction.

Also for the time being I will not introduce mini or dock to RCA.
I am not yet satisfied about the Y-splitt. I have to work some more on this before I can introduce it.

Rgds Hans.

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. BTW although more expensive you could go 2 for each side the whole length, thus no need to mess with spliting the ground.

Yes You are right I have thought about that.
However the longer part of the cable is nearly always the single part not after the y-splitt. So the extra costs involved are quite 'heavy'.
And secondly I have found it difficult to get the performance right in that case.
I had the same problem when developping the silvercab. Two ground leads and two signal leads. I personally do not like the sonicaly performance of the weaving method that is often used around here for 4 leads.
But I will keep working.

Thanks for helping me.

Hans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back