GR9 iPod Transport???
Jan 12, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #92 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As well as the device from Onkyo

Forgot about that one

I have the MSB I link which does the same. It did however require a mod on the I-pod and they have no plans of making a portable version.

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #93 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really appreciate the form factor of the Rx amp. Thin and flat. It goes a lot better with iPods than the RSA amps. I hope that they stick to that format. A match box on an iPod is tacky.
smily_headphones1.gif

I totally agree with the above. Looks like the PICO slim is going the same direction (thin and flat). I also wish RSA has some amps in that form factor also. Lets hope Matt is paying attention to this thread and does the GR9 in this form factor. At least following the RX. Since it is an ipod device, it really should match the form factor of ipod carefully.

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #94 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattmacbeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here's the unit we showed at RMAF:

This unit is the second version... the current version is very close to the size of the Rx amp; I can't say much more right now.

Matt I don't mind if it has to be bigger (or thicker?) than the Rx but if it is at all possible, do you think you can make it the same length and width the same as the RX so if all three are stack together (Ipod, GR9, RX) it is consistent. I don't mind if the GR9 has to be more thick. Just my wish but you are the man.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #95 of 131
Matt, from a design, functionality, and utility perspective, do you think you will put a version together that combine the RX and the GR9 in one enclosure? may be about 2-3 times the size of the Rx. This way, we could eliminate one additional piece and one cable connection yet allow a digital-in (usb and/or spdif) in the back for computer connection. Just think about the possibility makes me thrill. A totally awesome and clean package. 2010 is going to be unbelieveable. I don't know about you guys but if I have to dream, I would put a balance out on the GR9 and go for the balance amp also. Wow.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #96 of 131
That means that I have to wait until June to purchase my new amp. I am really getting the itch to make a decision.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #98 of 131
Hey Ken,
Hoping you can clear a few things up,
From all my research, there are only two ways to get digital out from an ipod...
1. To physically hack/mod an ipod (ala, msb ilink) to pull the i2s dac input signals direct to some spare dock pins.
or, 2. Getting your grubby hands onto the apple proprietary authentication (aka DRM) chips, which tell the ipod that it's okay to output digital out(what wadia does).

So my questions,
*Can you confirm the method of how you have gotten digital out?
And assuming you have the apple chips,
*Would the GR9 only work with certain generations of ipod?

Also, from what i have seen of these chips they are very small, small enough to fit inside the ipod docking connector themselves(which is what apple have done with the video cables, see picture). Is there any chance you can just fit one of these chips inside a simple LOD cable, thus saving us all from another box to lug around (or do they require their owns power supply). This would mean we can choose our own DAC/AMP (balanced
cool.gif
)combos.

Jan 15, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #99 of 131
Will an there be a benefit to using an iMod as a source in a kit that includes the GR9 Transport? Or, does the new transport make it un-necessary?

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #103 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubrmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will an there be a benefit to using an iMod as a source in a kit that includes the GR9 Transport? Or, does the new transport make it un-necessary?

You could use just the Imod and amp combo for circumstances which require a slimmer package Gym, Jog, Ect..

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #104 of 131
All right guys, hear me out on this one. So Apple has announced their new iPad. This is not so much meant to replace laptops or desktops, but to basically fill the gap between iPhone and a MacBook. Something the netbooks haven't quite lived up to. This new iPad syncs to a laptop or desktop using the 30 pin connector just like an iPod or iPhone. It may be way to early to tell, but imagine a system build around the iPad as a digital transport, solid-state memory feeding this new ALO/GR9 iPod transport, (I still like the name OTC). So the question is, could this work, and is there a reason not to consider a setup like this? Just a thought... now where is my penny?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back