Grace 901 replacement: Grace m902
Nov 3, 2004 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 209

Brunobiseu

Head-Fier
It appears Grace Design is planning to launch the replacement of its 901 headphone amplifier, the m902, and it seems quite promising...
It should include:
-Balanced and unbalanced analog inputs
-AES3, S/PDIF, TOSLINK and USB digital inputs
-Variable level unbalanced analog outputs
-"Latest generation" 24/192 DAC with s-Locktm dual stage PLL
-Precision level control with a 95dB range in .5 dB steps
-Crossfeed circuitry
-Infrared remote control (Optional)
-No electrolytic capacitors in the signal path

Grace Design has some preliminary info about it in pdf at:
http://www.gracedesign.com/news/m902...ary%20info.pdf

Nov 3, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 209
Wow USB inputs, analog outputs, crossfeed, remote control, looks like a great new product
biggrin.gif
Hopefully their DACs will catch up with their headamp section for this new version.

-dd3mon

Nov 3, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 209
Oh boy. Obviously, we'll have to wait until it's actually released and some people get to hear this thing. But on the specs and features announced so far, it looks terribly terrriby enticing. And if it debuts for the same price as the 901, then I may have to be an early adopter.

Nov 3, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 209
The 901's DAC was mediocre at best. If they are able to catch up to the DAC1, and have analogue outputs, well, I think they would have a very nice product on thier hands.

Nov 3, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 209
This Grace seems to belong to a new component category: the headphone "receiver". For sure will be the most feature-loaded headphone amp it seems. Wonder if so many features together might compromise performance in some of those features.

Nov 3, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 209
Also, no electrolytic capacitors in the signal path... erghhh... It is my understanding that no caps film or otherwise should be in the signal path. Senior electronics gurus please correct me if I am mistaken.

Nov 3, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 209
This product would be perfect if the internal DAC and headmp are awesome and there's a stepped attenuator inside. Still the lack of a balanced output reduces the unit's effectiveness as a DAC for my purposes.

Nov 4, 2004 at 9:26 AM Post #10 of 209
No SNR, THD+N, or dynamic range numbers, so we're left guessing as to what "latest 24/192 DAC" actually means. Sombody will have to get this and take the top off.

Nov 4, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #12 of 209
It seems the stepped attenuator of the 901 has been replaced by a rotary encoder. I'm not sure what the latter is though. Almost seems like digital volume control.

Nov 5, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #15 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
m902_Prelim_01.jpg

A little bird at Headroom told me that they will be getting them sometime in December.

Happy Holidays to me!
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Seriously?!?! Well this will be fun indeed. I love that it has a USB input option built right in, though like Neil said, too bad no balanced outputs for a total solution, but then again it is supposed to be "just" a headphone amp. I guess with this you could ditch you remaining RME, eh Ed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back