Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Dec 28, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #2,146 of 2,153
Dumb question. I want to use a mic or headset through the m9xx. Can I? Not sure if this is limited by the headphone input with or without an adapter? I read it’s a TRS. Headsets are TRRS. Can I just use a Microphone and Headphone Splitter - 3.5mm Male Aux to 3.5mm Female Audio & Mic Combo Jack Y Cable or a direct TRRS to TRS adapter?

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #2,147 of 2,153
That’s the toughest part, m9 is already above average to me. Definitely looking for something that’s night and day.
I own both RME is a end game dac. I have the m903, m9xx too, RME is better. If you only use headphones stay with the m9xx, if you plan to adding more equipment, amplifier and speakers, I would get the RME. How much better is the RME vs the grace? You can definitely tell, I'm playing through the JBL 580, it delivers a very clean sound. grace design was wow that's very good, RME is ok I'm done looking.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #2,148 of 2,153
I own both RME is a end game dac. I have the m903, m9xx too, RME is better. If you only use headphones stay with the m9xx, if you plan to adding more equipment, amplifier and speakers, I would get the RME. How much better is the RME vs the grace? You can definitely tell, I'm playing through the JBL 580, it delivers a very clean sound. grace design was wow that's very good, RME is ok I'm done looking.
What a nice, concise comparison.

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #2,149 of 2,153
Hi fam, can anyone tell me how much better the m9xx is as an amp/Dac to a schiit hel?

Jan 10, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #2,150 of 2,153
Hi fam, can anyone tell me how much better the m9xx is as an amp/Dac to a schiit hel?
@21qz, good question. These both have that super convenient 'big knob' design so it would be nice to know how they compare under the hood.

it looks like you now have both devices, so I'm wondering if you find them more similar than different? One thing I've found helpful is extended listening sessions. If one unit is subjectively more tiring than the other, then that can be an important difference. Just a thought. Also are both amps able to drive your K702s to your satisfaction?

Sep 2, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #2,152 of 2,153
Anyone still use m9xx ?
I remember it from years ago sounding smooth and great pair with Grados
I'm using mine (as a DAC only) between PC and amp.
I've upgraded a few times since having the m9xx, and it has scaled very well with the other gear.
Currently using Source > m9xx > Stax SRM-007tA (modded by Mjolnir audio) > Stax SR-007mkII HPs.

Sep 2, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #2,153 of 2,153
Anyone still use m9xx ?
I remember it from years ago sounding smooth and great pair with Grados
Interesting you mention Grados....it is the daily driver for my favorite Hemp HPs. It is still available from Grace as the m900 available from many sources and is timeless. The desktop ergonomics are a favorite as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back