grado 225
Nov 15, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 12
I've had the MS2's. They were pretty good with out an amp. I used them right off a PCDP, and I would think the 225's would work just fine until you can get an amp. All the headphones I've had have done better with an amp though.

Nov 15, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 12
The 225's are great without an outboard amp...and even better with one...

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by metal_monger
Are the grado 225's worth even considering purchasing before having a amp? I will be using these for home setup(from pc/ipod/other non uber sources)....was pretty set on 225's until I started to hear that some of the top end grado's dont sound good w/o a amp.

The 225's are excellent out of lesser amped equipment, I know it's only my ears and what I have heard, but they sound excellent out of a simple headphone jack on a receiver.

In short the grado's will perform very good, all of them, you just will not get the maximum out of the cans.
mind btw, that I am only talking about no dedicated amp here, NOT a poor source, garbage in garbage out, what you feed the cans they will present to you, ruthlessly.

Some higher end grado's do need an amp to get their uneven balanced frequency response to sound good, i.e. they will need the boost and especially the nice tight and strong grip a good amp can give in the bass frequencies, to compensate for their accentuated highs and lots of detail that would still be present without amp but in effect, be overpowering without one for the bass dept.

If you have ever heard a speaker system that has had a low power amp replaced for one that has lots more power you will know what I mean with dominating control and grip on bass compared to flabby and bloated pushing of air, before.

Nov 15, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
The 225's are great without an outboard amp...and even better with one...

smily_headphones1.gif

Yah I agree, the sr225 sounds good with out an amp. But I highly suggest you plan on getting one soon after the buy or with it if you can.

Nov 15, 2003 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 12
If the sources are non-uber, the 225 could be sort of overkill. Check how the sr80 sounds with an iPod. I can't hear $150 worth difference between my Koss KSC-35s and my sr225's from my iRiver.

Nov 16, 2003 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 12
Out of an unamped iPod...

(only three I've tested in that situation).

The jump may not warrant the price difference though. With an amp, by all means yes (and 2 and 3 change places). That said I sold my 225's once I got the ER4P's. That seems the ultimate iPod phones.

Nov 16, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 12
any others care to share any critical points on the 225's. i am pretty convinced on getting a set of these headphones (/rude upgrado fetish) and just wnat ot know any other factors to consider in purchasing these badboys.

home use
lots of rock
non amped for a while (this may change eventually)
currently have senn 200's (mainly use these for gym/school) but i woudl want the grado 225's to be a significant audio upgrade (not considering isolation issues)

thanks for any advice.

Nov 17, 2003 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 12
The 225's work great without an amp. That said everything, just about, works better with an amp. Nothing is ever any better than the source you feed it with. . . . . . .However, if you buy the 225's, instead of the 80's, when do decide to get an amp you will have a much better headphone to use. In either case, all the Grados, hold their value really well, so in trading up you won't lose much. If you plan to really get into the headphone hobby, I'd buy the best you can afford. To get a better can for the money can always look towards getting a "used" set.

-augustwest

Nov 17, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 12
The 225's are very good without an amp; especially with flat pads replacing those awful bowl pads. I had sr-80's and sr-225's at the same time, and my daughter got the 80's because I never wanted to use the 80's with the 225's around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back