Grado Fan Club!
Jul 28, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #17,356 of 65,942
You can use the sr80i without an amp....I would just use them un amped for now, and save until you can afford something a little better.

They will sound darn good , even unamped.
Thanks for the advice, how much should I spend for it to be worth buying? Also, if I'm currently using google music downloads (which I believe are mp3s) will I notice a difference at all?

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #17,357 of 65,942
Also, if I'm currently using google music downloads (which I believe are mp3s) will I notice a difference at all?

Use Apple Lossless from an iPod/iPhone. Much less compressed-sounding than MP3s.  A very good program to interconvert music files is XLD, free download It's also good for ripping CDs to whatever file format you wish. I rip to Apple Lossless into iTunes, and FLAC to my portable drive for music playback on my Bryston BDP-1 on main system.
Enjoy!

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #17,358 of 65,942

Use Apple Lossless from an iPod/iPhone. Much less compressed-sounding than MP3s.  A very good program to interconvert music files is XLD, free download It's also good for ripping CDs to whatever file format you wish. I rip to Apple Lossless into iTunes, and FLAC to my portable drive for music playback on my Bryston BDP-1 on main system.
Enjoy!

ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) is not compressed at all. 
normal_smile .gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #17,361 of 65,942
As others have said a cheapo amp won't make a difference for a Grado.

Get the L cushion pads, they'll give you the true Grado sound!

et al....

Have the L cush pads changed over the years? I bought a pair of 125s (the original ones, not even an i) years ago that came withLl cushions and I found them horribly uncomfortable. Mostly due to the fact that they were big enough to completely fit over my ears, but not deep enough to rest on my skull. This meant that my ears were basically resting on the housing - pretty much could've taken the pads off. Could onIy listen for bout 45 min before they became borderline painful. Needless to say they spent most of the last few years in their box until I got my X3. Took them out again and quickly remembered why I bought em in the first place 
smily_headphones1.gif
. Just as quickly remembered why I never used them
mad.gif
. Anyways, I recently bought a pair of S cushion, and they are a huge improvement in comfort (still nowhere near my old senn 590s though). Everybody says the Ls do sound better (never bothered comparing myself), and was wondering if Grado has done anything to make them more comfortable (seriously, when is Grado going to make a deal with comply since they make earpads now).

BTW, I've noticed that hardly anybody mentions the 125s round here. What's up with that?

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #17,364 of 65,942
I have 125i's and I love them. No complaints. I use the L cush with the tape mod and had to break them in in order to have some comfort as well as bend the headband so they didn't clamp on my head like a vice.

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #17,365 of 65,942
Have the L cush pads changed over the years? I bought a pair of 125s (the original ones, not even an i) years ago that came with L cushions and I found them horribly uncomfortable. Mostly due to the fact that they were big enough to completely fit over my ears, but not deep enough to rest on my skull. This meant that my ears were basically resting on the housing - pretty much could've taken the pads off. Could onIy listen for bout 45 min before they became borderline painful. Needless to say they spent most of the last few years in their box until I got my X3. Took them out again and quickly remembered why I bought em in the first place :) . Just as quickly remembered why I never used them:mad: . Anyways, I recently bought a pair of S cushion, and they are a huge improvement in comfort (still nowhere near my old senn 590s though). Everybody says the Ls do sound better (never bothered comparing myself), and was wondering if Grado has done anything to make them more comfortable (seriously, when is Grado going to make a deal with comply since they make earpads now).

BTW, I've noticed that hardly anybody mentions the 125s round here. What's up with that?

It's possible that you're not wearing it right; no criticism whatsoever. It's not so obvious how it's meant to be worn. One might think that since it's an on ear, it goes directly on the the ear, but it's actually meant to be worn lower so that the top of the L-cushion rests in the very top groove of the outer ear. Google says it's called the scapha amongst other names.

125 sucks. :evil:

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #17,366 of 65,942
It's possible that you're not wearing it right; no criticism whatsoever. It's not so obvious how it's meant to be worn. One might think that since it's an on ear, it goes directly on the the ear, but it's actually meant to be worn lower so that the top of the L-cushion rests in the very top groove of the outer ear. Google says it's called the scapha amongst other names.

125 sucks.
evil_smiley.gif

Everything sucks in its own way
evil_smiley.gif

I tried moving round the phones to try and them to fit better, but the back of my ear would always rest on the face of the housing (freakish genetics I guess). Maybe if I make it in to a dealer I'll try on a pair and see if they fit any better before I decide if L is worth it, but for now I'll stick with S.

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #17,367 of 65,942
  My thoughts are from a financial point of view-the LCD-2 is the way to go. But, I'm find myself responding to lo less bright, to warmer, smoother, more robust sounds.

I would say the Audeze is probably the biggest contrast to our RS1's. The issue w/ the Audeze IMO is finding the right amp to really get it right. But, I like the big lush warm sounds, w/ gorgeous base. And, I got a little bit of that feel with the Grado 500 oddly enough.

I don't know the Audeze line well enough to contrast the old LCD-2 to the new one w/ fazor. All I can say is it sounds good to me and enough of the X sound. The show was a bit like being a a kid in a candy shop w/ severe ADHD
L3000.gif

MarkM1:
I love my LCD-2. You are spot right on -- warmish, crystalline highs without any brightness. The amp I find works really well with LCD-2 is Burson Soloist. For balanced, I do also Bryston BHA-1. But Soloist all the way. Cheaper on Canuck Audio Mart. Good luck!
PM me if you want more info on matching.

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #17,368 of 65,942
Mr. Trev....I love your avatar....Fallout boy with headphones...haha

Best games ever , by the way

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #17,370 of 65,942

MarkM1:
I love my LCD-2. You are spot right on -- warmish, crystalline highs without any brightness. The amp I find works really well with LCD-2 is Burson Soloist. For balanced, I do also Bryston BHA-1. But Soloist all the way. Cheaper on Canuck Audio Mart. Good luck!
PM me if you want more info on matching.

Thanks. I'm not going to buy any time real soon. But, it's on my wish list. I will definitely take note of your recommendation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back