Grado Fan Club!
Dec 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #21,316 of 65,799
How about this one? Sounds excellent on my only remaining Grado---SR80i with L-Cushions!

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL2wCCiky2eR2dKI1Z1CqeFHeynTjDMhbZ&v=zRIbf6JqkNc[/VIDEO]

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #21,317 of 65,799
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urSYWcbWrkY[/VIDEO]

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #21,318 of 65,799
Nice. I put a Turbulent Labs Coffee headband on my ZennJazzGrado project. They're really comfortable!

Neat project! I just read your detailed post on the construction.

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #21,319 of 65,799
Neat project! I just read your detailed post on the construction.

Yes, I figured I'd make a lot of pictures while I was doing it, so others can use them for their own projects. I can buy another PX100II for twenty euro (+shipping) and I'm tempted to make a second one.

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #21,320 of 65,799
Anybody here fans of modding Grados? I'm thinking of venting my SR80i, anyone have experience on this? What's the SQ like?

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #21,321 of 65,799
I did this with my SR60i with 2 holes, I've got more low-end, but not controlled like in new E generation . If u want heavier or darker sound - u should try.
Btw, new SR80e come already vented with 2 holes.

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #21,322 of 65,799
I did this with my SR60i with 2 holes, I've got more low-end, but not controlled like in new E generation . If u want heavier or darker sound - u should try.

Second that. A small but noticeable improvement, but not something that ruins the headphones. Don't vent all the holes though, stick to 2 or 3 and let your ears get used to the new sound before you decide to poke more holes. If you vent the drivers too much, the lower end might become muddy.

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #21,324 of 65,799
Anybody here fans of modding Grados? I'm thinking of venting my SR80i, anyone have experience on this? What's the SQ like?

Watch the results carefully. I have done it with a pair of non-i SR60...its fun, and can bring out a nice little bit of low-end....but if you're a Grado-head that can be bad if done in excess.

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #21,325 of 65,799
Btw, new SR80e come already vented with 2 holes.

Second that. A small but noticeable improvement, but not something that ruins the headphones. Don't vent all the holes though, stick to 2 or 3 and let your ears get used to the new sound before you decide to poke more holes. If you vent the drivers too much, the lower end might become muddy.

Watch the results carefully. I have done it with a pair of non-i SR60...its fun, and can bring out a nice little bit of low-end....but if you're a Grado-head that can be bad if done in excess.

Thanks. How does venting compare to the tape mod in terms of resulting SQ?

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #21,326 of 65,799
I haven't been feeling well these last few days, so my plan to have another take at the PS1000e fell trough, for now, at least.

However, I have recieved my C-Moy from Biosciencegeek, 

It's the 18V version and has the JRC4556 OP amp, I also ordered 4 more, wich I have yet to try. I had planned to use it in my bedroom with my I-Pod and my SR80e, but next thing I knew, I was listening to my PS1000 and HP1000, trying to keep my jaw from hitting the floor. It's powerful, dead quiet, has great bass extension, and control, and an extended and very detailed treble. As you guys must know by now, I tell it like I see it, even if my findings seam surprising. Now,I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact, that an amp made from an old mint tin, is giving my Grado HPA-2, a run for it's money.

Don't worry Parbaked, I still love the HPA-2, and I believe that it performs like it should. I just think that the C-Moy is an over achiever, that's all, so, it's all good.,

So, to say that the C-Moy has exeeded my expectations, would be a major understatement.

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #21,328 of 65,799
Less refined than the tape mod, less subtle. Muddier for want of a better term.

Considering venting is irreversible, there's no advantage to it at all vs. tape mod, yeah?

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #21,329 of 65,799
Considering venting is irreversible, there's no advantage to it at all vs. tape mod, yeah?

With a little patience and the right materials it is reversible (I hear...I do not know from personal experience). The advantage vs the tape mod is solely preference. Some folks prefer the flavor of the holes as opposed to the tape. Different strokes for different strokes...

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #21,330 of 65,799
I haven't been feeling well these last few days, so my plan to have another take at the PS1000e fell trough, for now, at least.

However, I have recieved my C-Moy from Biosciencegeek, 

It's the 18V version and has the JRC4556 OP amp, I also ordered 4 more, wich I have yet to try. I had planned to use it in my bedroom with my I-Pod and my SR80e, but next thing I knew, I was listening to my PS1000 and HP1000, trying to keep my jaw from hitting the floor. It's powerful, dead quiet, has great bass extension, and control, and an extended and very detailed treble. As you guys must know by now, I tell it like I see it, even if my findings seam surprising. Now,I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact, that an amp made from an old mint tin, is giving my Grado HPA-2, a run for it's money.

Don't worry Parbaked, I still love the HPA-2, and I believe that it performs like it should. I just think that the C-Moy is an over achiever, that's all, so, it's all good.,

So, to say that the C-Moy has exeeded my expectations, would be a major understatement.

I'm not surprised at all, stacker45. Having listened to expensive amps and finding the substantially cheaper and smaller amps (such as O2 and iFi nano iDSD) sounding better to my ears, I could believe you.

As long as the amp has sufficient power for your HP, I believe the shortest wire is best, which usually means smaller amp...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back