Grado Fan Club!
Nov 13, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #49,471 of 65,841
I own the original Grado SR225. I have had them forever. They were my first good headphone purchase. Wondering how different or improved the 225x would be? Anyone have any insight? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #49,473 of 65,841
Tested Hifiman sundara and Grado.
Sundara is a good allrounder.
But there is something magical with Grado.
So for me, the Grado would be the best buy.
This was the last pair. 40% off
Did you end up buying the 1000e. Couple on UK ebay . I picked up a great second hand set from market place a while back at good price. Not the E version. I like them.

Nov 13, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #49,474 of 65,841
Nov 13, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #49,475 of 65,841
Did you end up buying the 1000e. Couple on UK ebay . I picked up a great second hand set from market place a while back at good price. Not the E version. I like them.
No :wink:
Was on tour with my colleagues,3-4hour from home with a overfilled backpack.
And can’t afford them right now.
But now I know what it is, and what I get If I buy some in the future.
Hope my boss give me a ok christmas bonus this year :)

Nov 13, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #49,478 of 65,841
Hey guys.:)

The ones here who have heard the RS1x/2x, how do these compare to the GH-1? I sure form reading through the forums some of you who have heard RS1x/2x have heard or owned GH-1, unless my memory is wrong. The 'new' Grado sound seems to similar to what I hear in the GH-1 (I use with L cush).

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #49,479 of 65,841
Hi guys, new here but not too new to headphones. I have a pair of SR325is which I adore, and I'm considering buying an amp for it. What is your experience with/opinion on the Objective2+ODAC combo with these headphones? Or with any Grado headphones, for that matter.

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #49,481 of 65,841

The ones here who have heard the RS1x/2x, how do these compare to the GH-1? I sure form reading through the forums some of you who have heard RS1x/2x have heard or owned GH-1, unless my memory is wrong. The 'new' Grado sound seems to similar to what I hear in the GH-1 (I use with L cush).
I’d be interested in this too. I used to have the GH1 when they were first released. Although, I haven’t heard them for awhile, so my memory of them is almost nonexistent.

I do feel like the RS1x is different than any Grado that I’ve owned. It has a slightly fuller sound and maybe a slight boomy-ness to it. There’s also a very natural timbre it has to my ears. Sometimes it feels like I’m listening to a musical instrument (if that makes sense).

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #49,482 of 65,841

I was going to do some other impressions, I have the GH1 along with the others, will look to expand. I am glad to be seeing the first impressions as people receive their new phones.

Attachments

• 7F634A05-B6F8-411C-98D2-F4A41A8BD508.jpeg
    7F634A05-B6F8-411C-98D2-F4A41A8BD508.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Nov 14, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #49,483 of 65,841
One thing I have thought about "e" and "x" reference series the dampening of the cup and driver.

When you have two channel speaker system in room with no carpet or rug, the music can reverb/resonate/echo and get out of control.
You need something to dampen the room.
However when you have too much carpet (shaggy), it can kill the music. The music can't breathe and decay naturally. It hits the room (overly shaggy carpet) and just dies.
The treble especially needs some dampening but over dampening can just kill it. The decay dies too fast. The music can sound dull, flat, closed in and dead.

When I compare the RS2e and RS1i. They seem to have "close enough" amounts of treble, but the RS2e treble decay does not last long as the RS1i.
I believe (in my opinion) this is due to increased dampening of the cup and driver in the Reference "e" series. I believe "x" has even more dampening.

Yes, the RS1X has less treble quantity than the "e" and "i" series (except for RS1e) in general but I believe it's the increased dampening that makes the treble die sooner.
It just does not last very long enough to give the music a sense of air and breathe. I believe this makes the "e" and "x" reference series ( and above GS/PS) more clear, controlled, and clean but at the same time, takes away from the reverb/resonance that music needs to some degree to sound airy, open and live.

edit:
Those of you who have modded their fostex t50rp, know what I'm talking about.
It was all about the right amount of modeling clay (plasticine), sorbathane foam, and dynamat to dampen and control the cup resonance and control the driver and tighten the bass and the right amount of teased cotton balls to give it treble and air.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #49,484 of 65,841
The reason I mention GH-1 is because it seems to fit in between pr500/e, rs2e, rs1e and I keep reading the same words like thick, bass, full, non fatiguing treble but still lively when people describe them. Could they be the great all rounder? I don't know, but I can tune them differently from changing ic's, to try and match what I read about other models. Really interested to hear comparisons with rsx1/2 series.

One headphone that will forever haunt me is the MS-Pro, is it also a tamed RS1? Maybe this also fits into the GH-1 category. Damn you Grado for doing this to me.

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #49,485 of 65,841
Damn you Grado for doing this to me.
Yes, I think Grado did it to a lot of people...

My Grado's aren't just a commodity, they are my drug of choice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back