Grado Fan Club!
Jan 28, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #64,097 of 65,831
.... keep going. I found that after 150 hours, RS-1x really 'came on song' - regardless of the music played. When that happens for you, putting RS-1x down will be 😫😭.
It's already hard to put em down. Can hardly wait

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #64,099 of 65,831
His GH2 also seems darker than mine… but maybe that’s just after polishing.
:slight_smile: no it is not the wax. They have been that dark since I bought them as - very shortly after their release.....

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #64,100 of 65,831
Vikingatheart: WARNING !!!

smile_phones.gif

I started with SR80i's too, maybe 18 months ago. I absolutely loved them I returned them and upgraded to SR125i's in 2 weeks. Look at my signature.

BEWARE !!

biggrin.gif
I started with the SR60's I believe in 2006. What a long strange trip it's been! Very rewarding by the way! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Leo

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #64,101 of 65,831
Started with an SR80X and stayed with an SR80X :relaxed:

Jan 29, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #64,102 of 65,831
1706570479919.png

Jan 29, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #64,103 of 65,831
So today I tried some guy's EQ settings for an SR80 from long ago on my relatively new RS2x and I have to say the sound I was hoping to get to after burn in is what I'm hearing now. I bumped up the lows a little bit and I have to say I'm very much pleased with the sound. Anyone else using EQ in their Grados? Using Roon as player. Let's see if I still feel as enthusiastic about it after a few days.

Jan 29, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #64,104 of 65,831
So today I tried some guy's EQ settings for an SR80 from long ago on my relatively new RS2x and I have to say the sound I was hoping to get to after burn in is what I'm hearing now. I bumped up the lows a little bit and I have to say I'm very much pleased with the sound. Anyone else using EQ in their Grados? Using Roon as player. Let's see if I still feel as enthusiastic about it after a few days.
I use EQ for all of my headphones and have for a few years now. EQ helps accentuate what different headphones may lack in a specific part of the sound. Works for me and I wouldn’t go back to listening without it.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #64,105 of 65,831
Just to share my enthusiasm over grado rs2x ... its getting better and better until it has the most play time among all of my headphones including staxs.
Sure it doesn't have very meaty bass but its very cohesive sounding. I enjoy listening to Dr dre the chronic album with rs2x

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #64,106 of 65,831
Just to share my enthusiasm over grado rs2x ... its getting better and better until it has the most play time among all of my headphones including staxs.
Sure it doesn't have very meaty bass but its very cohesive sounding. I enjoy listening to Dr dre the chronic album with rs2x
Sort of wormed its way in?, powerful statement. If you haven’t hit over 100 hours more good is coming your way.

Enjoy………..

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #64,107 of 65,831
I use EQ for all of my headphones and have for a few years now. EQ helps accentuate what different headphones may lack is a specific part of the sound. Works for me and I wouldn’t go back to listening without it.
I'm having similar positive results with EQ for my 1266 as well. So far because I've managed to "fix" my issues with these headphones I've stopped looking for additional DACs or alternative amps. I hope it stays this way and the effect is real as I'm getting tired of the merry go round with gears to be honest.

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #64,108 of 65,831
Jan 29, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #64,109 of 65,831
• There is a little more going on here than what initially appears.
FC5D7A55-24BF-4FFE-9644-CA01DBDD3340.jpeg

• Yes, RS-1x and Hemp on the tunes! Courtesy of Violectric HPA V200 👍!
• On Hemp are L-pads. Fellow Grado Fan Club members know of my expressed dislike of L-pads. Why now?
• The thought occurred to me while I was soaking F-pads in mild dish soap solution (routine maintenance) to try the same for L-pads (which sat in storage). So I did, then rinsed, press-towel dried, air-dried L-pads, put them on Hemp.
• L-pads are now softer, not as stiff, still retain their beveled shape, and do not have that 'aerosol' (?) smell. Far more comfortable (for me). L-pads are now pads, not megaphones. The 'cupped hands, hollow shriek' that tortured me is gone. Sound diffracts through cleaned L-pads without being encumbered or tunneled. And the added millimetre (or few) of distance from ear to driver really adds to spaciousness & soundstage width - without a loss in bass impact. I am stunned & delighted! Hemp sonic achievement has just vaulted to new heights!
• The RS-1x? There as a reference for Hemp. I have another pair of L-pads air-drying 'for' RS-1x. I cannot say that L-pads will replace F-pads on RS-1x; but being in that 'rotation', for me, would be a bonus. L-pads do have a bright future on Hemp, as I see it 🙂. A glorious combination!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #64,110 of 65,831
• There is a little more going on here than what initially appears.FC5D7A55-24BF-4FFE-9644-CA01DBDD3340.jpeg
• Yes, RS-1x and Hemp on the tunes! Courtesy of Violectric HPA V200 👍!
• On Hemp are L-pads. Fellow Grado Fan Club members know of my expressed dislike of L-pads. Why now?
• The thought occurred to me while I was soaking F-pads in mild dish soap solution (routine maintenance) to try the same for L-pads (which sat in storage). So I did, then rinsed, press-towel dried, air-dried L-pads, put them on Hemp.
• L-pads are now softer, not as stiff, still retain their beveled shape, and do not have that 'aerosol' (?) smell. Far more comfortable (for me). L-pads are now pads, not megaphones. The 'cupped hands, hollow shriek' that tortured me is gone. Sound diffracts through cleaned L-pads without being encumbered or tunneled. And the added millimetre (or few) of distance from ear to driver really adds to spaciousness & soundstage width - without a loss in bass impact. I am stunned & delighted! Hemp sonic achievement has just vaulted to new heights!
• The RS-1x? There as a reference for Hemp. I have another pair of L-pads air-drying 'for' RS-1x. I cannot say that L-pads will replace F-pads on RS-1x; but being in that 'rotation', for me, would be a bonus. L-pads do have a bright future on Hemp, as I see it 🙂. A glorious combination!
The L pads take a looong time to break in. Without washing them, eventually the oils on your ears do the same thing overtime and soften them up. The pads on my sr325i feel like air. I could sleep with them. But it's worth it imo. The L pads offer a far more dynamic sound than the F pads, but that's only my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back