Grado Fan Club!
Jan 30, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #64,111 of 65,821
I'm having similar positive results with EQ for my 1266 as well. So far because I've managed to "fix" my issues with these headphones I've stopped looking for additional DACs or alternative amps. I hope it stays this way and the effect is real as I'm getting tired of the merry go round with gears to be honest.
As have I. That’s wise on your part and I share that philosophy.

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #64,112 of 65,821
As have I. That’s wise on your part and I share that philosophy.
.... with the Brystons in hand 👍, why seek "additional DACs or alternative amps"? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #64,116 of 65,821
Do these sounds similar to original Grado pads or different?
Imo all the pads sound different as your ear is at different distances from the drivers and the materials are different. Nyczaj and BA etc over improved comfort and increased bass, the G definitely thinner base and subjectively a different soundstage etc. I have them all and flick about and also use EQ, just play around. The only one I don't like is the flats with the RS2x, others say it's their favourite

I'd probably leave the Ls on if they were more comfortable but BA merino, full leather and Nyczaj are all so comfortable it's hard not to leave them on

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #64,118 of 65,821
Imo all the pads sound different as your ear is at different distances from the drivers and the materials are different. Nyczaj and BA etc over improved comfort and increased bass, the G definitely thinner base and subjectively a different soundstage etc. I have them all and flick about and also use EQ, just play around. The only one I don't like is the flats with the RS2x, others say it's their favourite

I'd probably leave the Ls on if they were more comfortable but BA merino, full leather and Nyczaj are all so comfortable it's hard not to leave them on
Between pads and EQ, there's certainly a lot of room to tweak the sound of Grados which we all like to different degrees here. I'm certainly happy to have these options before adding a GH4 or 325x to my RS2x (but y all know im already thinking about it).

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #64,119 of 65,821
Do you use EQ with 325x?( Flat pads) If yes what settings do you recommend? I use the headphones with an android phone and Poweramp equalizer.
This is the EQ for an SR80 that I tweaked a bit for my RS2x. I know these 2 models sound differently to begin with, but it was a good start for me as I'm not technical at all to draw up my own settings much less perform a test first to base it on.

If others are willing to share their settings, I'd be happy to try those out too.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-30 115652.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-30 115652.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #64,121 of 65,821
This is the EQ for an SR80 that I tweaked a bit for my RS2x. I know these 2 models sound differently to begin with, but it was a good start for me as I'm not technical at all to draw up my own settings much less perform a test first to base it on.

If others are willing to share their settings, I'd be happy to try those out too.
Anyone has an eq for the RS2e ?

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #64,122 of 65,821
• There is a little more going on here than what initially appears.FC5D7A55-24BF-4FFE-9644-CA01DBDD3340.jpeg
• Yes, RS-1x and Hemp on the tunes! Courtesy of Violectric HPA V200 👍!
• On Hemp are L-pads. Fellow Grado Fan Club members know of my expressed dislike of L-pads. Why now?
• The thought occurred to me while I was soaking F-pads in mild dish soap solution (routine maintenance) to try the same for L-pads (which sat in storage). So I did, then rinsed, press-towel dried, air-dried L-pads, put them on Hemp.
• L-pads are now softer, not as stiff, still retain their beveled shape, and do not have that 'aerosol' (?) smell. Far more comfortable (for me). L-pads are now pads, not megaphones. The 'cupped hands, hollow shriek' that tortured me is gone. Sound diffracts through cleaned L-pads without being encumbered or tunneled. And the added millimetre (or few) of distance from ear to driver really adds to spaciousness & soundstage width - without a loss in bass impact. I am stunned & delighted! Hemp sonic achievement has just vaulted to new heights!
• The RS-1x? There as a reference for Hemp. I have another pair of L-pads air-drying 'for' RS-1x. I cannot say that L-pads will replace F-pads on RS-1x; but being in that 'rotation', for me, would be a bonus. L-pads do have a bright future on Hemp, as I see it 🙂. A glorious combination!
This actually inspired me to test the Hemps with the BA pads (L kind of pads). So far I only used the Hemps with F pads. But the BA pads sounds great (and don't need to be washed to be comfy :dt880smile:
IMG_2942.jpeg

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #64,123 of 65,821
N
This actually inspired me to test the Hemps with the BA pads (L kind of pads). So far I only used the Hemps with F pads. But the BA pads sounds great (and don't need to be washed to be comfy :dt880smile: IMG_2942.jpeg
I loved the BA pads on the Hemps. I think I referred to them on here as budget GH2's. To me they were 90% of the GH2 for a lot less money, especially if you bought your Hemp's used. :smile:

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #64,125 of 65,821
• The L-pad experience is getting more interesting. For me, soaping / rinsing / drying of L-pad does wonders to L-pad sound propagation without any 'funnel' effect. So far, I really like L-pads on 'bassier' Grados: first Hemp, now PS500e.
CBC331B5-CAB0-4D31-85BA-FC9D1842C758.jpeg

• The overall tonal balance of PS500e is shifted from slightly bass-heavy, treble-light ('dark') to even. Clarity abounds and the soundstage is airier, crisper, and wider via L-pads. As James Brown would say: "PS500e's got a brand new bag" by moving off F-pads.
• I may have to rethink my 'across the board' use of F-pads for 44mm / 50 mm driver Grados and go headphone-by-headphone: F? or L? 🤷🏻‍♂️. There's always something ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back