Grado Fan Club!
Feb 15, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #64,291 of 65,822
I did something crazy today. A Grado dealer in my country celebrates 20 years in existence and offered 20% off everything and I bought a SR325X on impulse. Grado is a brand I know next to nothing about, except for the non changeable cables. It was a jump into the unknown, so wish me luck :)
I've told this story here before, but I once held a going-out-of-business sale on my little website store, and I got a phone call from John Grado himself telling me I was not allowed to discount Grados! Then he commented, "but if you're going out of business, I guess there's nothing I can do to really stop you!" He's a good dude. :beerchug:

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #64,292 of 65,822
Thanks for the help, Im thinking WA6 or the Gemini.
The SparkoS Labs Gemini is a 💎 with Grados (and other headphones). Scroll through the Gemini thread .... in the Headphone Amplifiers (Full Size) forum ....

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #64,293 of 65,822
Just hair shampoo. Just a dab. In water. Soak it for a minute. It softend it up a lot. It does kills the highs a bit and the stage. Lifts the bass. A lot more comfy. But tbh, I do miss the stage. So I think I'm gonna stick with some fresh L pads. Even if they're uncomfortable. But it's a nice trick if you can't stand how the pads feel. I figured, why not try it out. They're easily replaced, afterall lol.
... interesting ... for me, soaking / rinsing / drying L-pads: opened up the soundstage, extended bass response, eliminated 'shoutiness' - without diminishing upper treble 'air' ... 🤷🏻‍♂️😍

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #64,294 of 65,822
Give L-pads a go .... I am in the midst of (r)evaluating the F-pad vs G-pad vs L-pad associations with my Grados .... So far, I am favouring the F-pad on RS-1x, G-pad on GS3000x / PS2000e, L-pad on Limited Editions / PS500e .... 🤷🏻‍♂️
No matter what I try, I always return to the L pads lol. Even softening the pads made me not like it as much. Need my L pads. I totally get why people like the F pads tho. I bet headphones that are tuned for them sound pretty dope. But the rs1 is sadly the only x series grado I own

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #64,295 of 65,822
... interesting ... for me, soaking / rinsing / drying L-pads: opened up the soundstage, extended bass response, eliminated 'shoutiness' - without diminishing upper treble 'air' ... 🤷🏻‍♂️😍
It's possible I accidentally overdid it. Maybe dishsoap would work better. The headphonia shampoo method made them REALLY soft.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #64,296 of 65,822
Thinking about this pad washing... I don't quite understand why washing them would make them so much softer. Does it somehow break down the foam?

I think my RS-1 button has L pads that were washed by the former owner. And they are indeed softer than the other L Pads I own, used for some time or fresh. Maybe I should try the RS-1 with fresh pads before selling it...

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #64,297 of 65,822
It's possible I accidentally overdid it. Maybe dishsoap would work better. The headphonia shampoo method made them REALLY soft.
I bought a used pair of SR225x's that came with G pads. I washed the pads with dishwashing soap and didn't notice a difference. Maybe I should try some of that headphonia shampoo. Lol.

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #64,298 of 65,822
I bought a used pair of SR225x's that came with G pads. I washed the pads with dishwashing soap and didn't notice a difference. Maybe I should try some of that headphonia shampoo.
If you do, don't overdo it. It affected sound significantly in my case. Just gonna stick to the pads as they are from the factory in my case

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #64,299 of 65,822
Hi All

I have been enjoying my first Grado, the GH4, immensely. I haven't touched my other headphones since these came in. They sound special out of my Arche and great straight out of the Macbook which was a surprise.

I picked up a pair of Beautiful Audio pads for them and I'm trying to understand what each of the different inner foam inserts do. There are some references in this thread to open cell etc but no photographs so I'm not sure which is open cell. Attached is a photograph of the inserts that came with the pads. Left is the softest. Middle is a harder white foam and the black pads are like netting.

I'm trying to retain the GH4 sound but improve comfort from the stock pads. A solution might be to try to fit the L pads as the insert.
Do let us know if any of these pads sound the same way as the stock pads. Trying to look for more comfortable (and prettier) options but not at the expense of the altering the grado sound, I'd rather EQ than adjust the sound with pads.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #64,300 of 65,822
...make sure that the pads are thoroughly rinsed. Then press dry the pads with a towel, then let them air dry. ☑️

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #64,301 of 65,822
Thinking about this pad washing... I don't quite understand why washing them would make them so much softer. Does it somehow break down the foam?
I think that the wash / soak / rinse / dry regimen breaks down a coating on the pads. To me, the absence of this coating - used for form / shape retention (?) - allows sound to propagate through the pads without hindrance. That is why the 'shoutiness' goes away. ☑️

Feb 16, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #64,303 of 65,822
Give L-pads a go .... I am in the midst of (r)evaluating the F-pad vs G-pad vs L-pad associations with my Grados .... So far, I am favouring the F-pad on RS-1x, G-pad on GS3000x / PS2000e, L-pad on Limited Editions / PS500e .... 🤷🏻‍♂️
I did some poking around after asking you the question. I have L pads that came with my RS2x's. I replaced these with the G pads because I felt that they sounded better. Again, the way something sounds coming down to personal preference. I'll have to pick up some G pads for my 225x's once they're done with outside duty. I use them in the mornings when I walk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back