Grado Fan Club!
Mar 12, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #64,786 of 65,816
I was checking out the CanJam NY thread, and it's kinda bummer seeing everyone rave about headphones, IEMs, and amps that cost a fortune. This hobby is getting a bit crazy. The new Feliks amp is $17,500, ATH amp is $108,000, ATH new headphone is $4200, RAAL new headphone is $8000 and the Trifecta IEM is $3375. Good thing we've got down-to-earth companies like Grado and Schiit keeping it real with affordable stuff!

XQxA3nj.jpg
Yes, prices are getting even crazier... in many (most?) cases without delivering something more except expensive looks.

Currently I'm so happy with my GH2, PS2000e and PS500x that I hardly use my Composer and E3, which I acquired late last year. I haven't used the E3 for weeks, and each time I put on the Composer I'm actually amazed at how good it sounds. Yet most of the time I still grab the GH2 or PS500x connected to my simple iPod Classic, or the PS2000e on my Beyerdynamic A2. Interesting.

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #64,787 of 65,816
I do prefer the GH2 by just a bit, but yes, the PS500x is a purchase I'm more than happy with. I'm still tempted to get a PS500e to compare :wink:

How many hours of break-in have you put into your PS500x? I've logged nearly 200 hours on mine, and the sound keeps evolving. While I'm certain I prefer the PS500x over the GH1, it's been a while since I last heard the GH2. I find the PS500x to offer one of the most well-balanced tunings I've encountered in a Grado headphone.

Yes, prices are getting even crazier... in many (most?) cases without delivering something more except expensive looks.

Currently I'm so happy with my GH2, PS2000e and PS500x that I hardly use my Composer and E3, which I acquired late last year. I haven't used the E3 for weeks, and each time I put on the Composer I'm actually amazed at how good it sounds. Yet most of the time I still grab the GH2 or PS500x connected to my simple iPod Classic, or the PS2000e on my Beyerdynamic A2. Interesting.

Isn't it crazy how our trusty old Grados can still hold their own against those high-priced headphones? I'm always amazed when I switch to my ZMF Atrium, but I couldn't imagine living without my Grados.

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #64,788 of 65,816
Received the SR325X's today,

IMG_20240312_181609.jpg

First impressions are they beat the SR225e for me which was a big surprise, much better layering and separation, wider soundstage than the SR225e, more weight to the lower mids and upper base, but still distinctly Grado in those upper mids and lower treble pulling the voice forward, some instruments can still sound a little on the thin side but then this is still a Grado.

I would still pair this with neutral to warm amp over something analytical, it appears to synergise well with my V202.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #64,789 of 65,816
How many hours of break-in have you put into your PS500x? I've logged nearly 200 hours on mine, and the sound keeps evolving. While I'm certain I prefer the PS500x over the GH1, it's been a while since I last heard the GH2. I find the PS500x to offer one of the most well-balanced tunings I've encountered in a Grado headphone.

Isn't it crazy how our trusty old Grados can still hold their own against those high-priced headphones? I'm always amazed when I switch to my ZMF Atrium, but I couldn't imagine living without my Grados.
I don’t really keep balance of usage, but I did use my Ps500x more or less daily since I received it. For sure I’m still getting used to how it sounds, yet I’m trying to balance my list Ning time ask ich as possible across all three Grados in current rotation (RS-1 and PS500 being a bit behind currently).

Yes, that’s a really interesting aspect. Both the Composer and the E3 are better (especially the extension down low is really impressive on the Composer), yet there’s something personal, deeply musical about the Grados. Oh, and both GH2 and PS500x are so lightweight… nice bonus. PS2000e… not so much. But fortunately still comfortable.

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #64,790 of 65,816
Yes, that’s a really interesting aspect. Both the Composer and the E3 are better (especially the extension down low is really impressive on the Composer), yet there’s something personal, deeply musical about the Grados. Oh, and both GH2 and PS500x are so lightweight… nice bonus. PS2000e… not so much. But fortunately still comfortable.

You wouldn't believe how many technically superior headphones I've owned compared to my Grados. I've had the LCD-2, LCD-3, LCD-X, HE-6, Utopia, Clear, etc. They are all gone now, but my Grados? They're still right here with me.

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #64,791 of 65,816
You wouldn't believe how many technically superior headphones I've owned compared to my Grados. I've had the LCD-2, LCD-3, LCD-X, HE-6, Utopia, Clear, etc. They are all gone now, but my Grados? They're still right here with me.
I gotta say, this is why I chose the RS1x over the ananda nano. My 325i are basically still brand new after thousands of hours of use. Spending that much money on a headphone that might not even outlive it's warranty period makes me nervous. If I ever do spend big big bucks on headphones, it will probably be the ZMF Auteur or GS3000x for this reason.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #64,792 of 65,816
I gotta say, this is why I chose the RS1x over the ananda nano. My 325i are basically still brand new after thousands of hours of use. Spending that much money on a headphone that might not even outlive it's warranty period makes me nervous. If I ever do spend big big bucks on headphones, it will probably be the ZMF Auteur or GS3000x for this reason.

I gotta say, Grado and ZMF are hands down my favorite headphone brands. John and Zach have their priorities straight, tuning their headphones for music, unlike those companies lost in the maze of graphs and chasing that pesky Harman curve!

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #64,793 of 65,816
If within phone range calling and speaking to someone at Grado would probably be best.
If Grado support doesn't respond to email then I will try calling. Its been only a few days since Grado said they'd get back to me via email in regards to 325e. Its been slightly under a month since last time I talked with Rich about my RS2x repair but he is not putting me off afaik. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

With having been in retail audio for over 35 years and being an authorized Grado dealer I have sold hundreds and almost never had a problem with any of my customer’s units and if there was they were taken care of and happy with the results.
I appreciate you sharing your individual experience because isnt that what the forum is meant for except when its censored by moderators. I agree with you, I also believe Grado by and large are without issue and so far I've not had my problems unresolved.

but actually took almost 300 hours of break in to fully evolve.
imo, burn-in you're describing is psychological or pads breaking-in.

Like most phones proper fit and positioning on ear are crucial to hit the sweet spot. That includes bending the headband carefully to get proper pressure.
Yes of course. Grado in particular requires awkward or uncomfortable positioning so as to improve sound. It's part of their charm.

You of course need to use special tools (your ears) to judge what sounds best to you.
Us Grado fans like a special sound.

If i haven’t listened to them (or any of my other phones) for a long period of time they will need some additional time playing to reach their peak. This is not unique with Grado but is not the case with my multiple electrostatics and most planars that I own.
The farther from perceived neutral the longer it takes our brains to adjust.

Feel free to pm me if you like.
There is more latitude for sound reasoning without censorship in the sound-science sub-forum but less latitude for unqualified claims. PM might be best.

PS not to be forgotten on Grado or most any brand phone parts for older model may no longer be available.
No one's disputing that. The problem is that Grado should be upfront about discontinued drivers and repairs.

I would be surprised if they had original drivers for the RS2, that original is quite old, I know as I had one and of course as previously mentioned would have been selling them as a dealer too. They came out perhaps a year after the original RS1 (vintage/ button). I can pretty much guarantee that there are no identical drivers for them (mine sound great and are by far in my opinion are the best sounding RS1 variant).
Could you imagine that they assured you that they would replace with original spec drivers but then received not as described?

On the Grado front they have always been a high value to price ratio, among the best out there.
In so many ways I disagree.
1. ergonomics and cable are terrible
2. every non-F pad Grado is considered horrible value due to sound quality alone
3. PS2000 for $2500? Ive never heard but I would assume its like an RS1 but different. And an RS1 is like many other headphones... different not "better". Value is in the eye of the beholder and very easy to dispute from the outside. For example, audiophile hobby is terrible value. PS2000 value relative to other headphones even within just Grado is terrible.

How nice is it to pay $4000
Never nice to pay thousands for just a headphone.

to boost sales
They are all trying to make sales... You think Grado is a non-profit or transparent?

Those are my thoughts, your’s certainly may view things differently.
I appreciate. We all perceive things differently. Regimented discussion of ideas is akin to tyranny or rigging the system and leads only downhill.

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #64,796 of 65,816
It's possible I missed this somewhere in the thread, but does anyone know if the medium or large Grado headphone case would fit a Grado (GH1 in my case) equipped with a Turbulent Labs headband? Ideally I'd want a case that the headphones would still fit in if I also put Beautiful Audio small pads on the headphones. Maybe a Dekoni case would be a safer bet?

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #64,797 of 65,816
I have owned all 3 Grado Headfi headphones.
Still own the HF3 .

The HF1 was a great rock headphone.
The HF2 I never got on with.
I found it too bright for my taste.

HF3 if I remember rightly was sold by TTVJ and $100-$200 of the price was given to charity.
Yes unfortunately it was the first Grado with the newer cable.

I still play the HF3 occasionally but most of my Grado listening is with diy Grado headphones with 4.4mm balanced cables as most of my portable gear uses 4.4mm.
I made a 4.4mm female to 3.5mm pigtail cable for S/E use.
Love how some Grados gel with Schiit amps.
Hadn't listened to the HF2's in years. Reading the recent comments reminded me that I own them! LOL. Listening to them right now. It's like I have my new toy to play with. I find these really are THE Grado's for Rock (I can state that they are definitely for me, YMMV).

Leo

Mar 12, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #64,798 of 65,816
It's possible I missed this somewhere in the thread, but does anyone know if the medium or large Grado headphone case would fit a Grado (GH1 in my case) equipped with a Turbulent Labs headband? Ideally I'd want a case that the headphones would still fit in if I also put Beautiful Audio small pads on the headphones. Maybe a Dekoni case would be a safer bet?
I have a number of Grados with TL headbands (& Nyczaj Audio hardware) in Grado cases: medium if the pads are F or L, large if the pads are G.

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #64,799 of 65,816
Facing the dark opening of the rabbit hole I have one more question… I’ve been offered a used GS3000e at a good price by someone I know personally and would need some hints contrasting it to the GS3000x — which I didn’t like much on multiple tries — soundwise. Or the PS2000e, which I quite like. Many thanks in advance!

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #64,800 of 65,816
If Grado support doesn't respond to email then I will try calling. Its been only a few days since Grado said they'd get back to me via email in regards to 325e. Its been slightly under a month since last time I talked with Rich about my RS2x repair but he is not putting me off afaik. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

I appreciate you sharing your individual experience because isnt that what the forum is meant for except when its censored by moderators. I agree with you, I also believe Grado by and large are without issue and so far I've not had my problems unresolved.

imo, burn-in you're describing is psychological or pads breaking-in.

Yes of course. Grado in particular requires awkward or uncomfortable positioning so as to improve sound. It's part of their charm.

Us Grado fans like a special sound.

The farther from perceived neutral the longer it takes our brains to adjust.

There is more latitude for sound reasoning without censorship in the sound-science sub-forum but less latitude for unqualified claims. PM might be best.

No one's disputing that. The problem is that Grado should be upfront about discontinued drivers and repairs.

Could you imagine that they assured you that they would replace with original spec drivers but then received not as described?

In so many ways I disagree.
1. ergonomics and cable are terrible
2. every non-F pad Grado is considered horrible value due to sound quality alone
3. PS2000 for $2500? Ive never heard but I would assume its like an RS1 but different. And an RS1 is like many other headphones... different not "better". Value is in the eye of the beholder and very easy to dispute from the outside. For example, audiophile hobby is terrible value. PS2000 value relative to other headphones even within just Grado is terrible.

Never nice to pay thousands for just a headphone.

They are all trying to make sales... You think Grado is a non-profit or transparent?

I appreciate. We all perceive things differently. Regimented discussion of ideas is akin to tyranny or rigging the system and leads only downhill.
I most definitely agree that pricing overall in the industry has really become crazy or perhaps obscene would be an even better descriptor. Not so very long ago most companie’s TOTL / Flagship models were $1000 to less than $2000. This continuing trend of higher and higher prices really irks me especially as coming from so many years in retail audio. The graph of performance improvements and dollars spent was much more linear and grounded in years past. Sure there were price no object items (look what we can do) like the Sennheiser Orpheus system at $13,000 and Nakamichi’s gold plated Limited Edition cassette recorder at $5000 but by and large even perceived high end companies of the day like McIntosh had prices that still could be rationalized.

As in theater and concert tickets once a price barrier was broken those prices escalated rapidly.
As an aside the fact that in the 70’s in one week I saw The Who on Wed. at Forest Hills Stadium, Stephen Stills on Friday at Madison Square Garden and George Harrison’s benefit Concert for Bangladesh on Sunday also at the Garden when I was just a few years out of college. Most people’s wallets usually cringe a bit or more to take in one such concert these days.

Totally away from that we will cheerfully have to agree to disagree on the subject of breaking in of certain components. (not limited to speakers and headphones).

The name of the game is to enjoy the music 🎵 first and foremost and in that we should all be in full agreement.

P.S. Yes, $4000 is a crazy amount of money for a headphone but that number was taken out of context as the example used for griping about a company that arbitrarily lowers a product’s price and then raises it back up again with the same lack of reasoning. No fun being the customer on the up side of the curve.

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back