Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?!
Aug 30, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #32 of 597
The sad part is I can't even pronounce the damn name of the drivers!

(Tries pronouncing name) neh-hurd?
biggrin.gif

Lmbo! Jk

LMAO...

Its N-ooh-rid

If you can roll an "R" that's what you do with the "rid" section. 

Jaco at Nhoord is probably laughing his arse off right now. I am South African too, but I was raised in an English speaking household, and the word is Afrikaans-based, so even my pronunciation probably sounds a little silly to him 
redface.gif

Hahahaha!!! 
biggrin.gif

It’s a combo of both: nooh-urd (This text to speech is pretty close http://www.naturalreaders.com/index.html )

Thanks for all the great feedback!!! I’m happy to hear that you guys are enjoying them!

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #33 of 597
I know the impressions are coming but how do the mids and treble (low, mid and upper treble) compare to the Ypsilon? 
Is it also more detailed than the Ypsilon?

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #34 of 597
  I know the impressions are coming but how do the mids and treble (low, mid and upper treble) compare to the Ypsilon? 
Is it also more detailed than the Ypsilon?

More detailed? Any more detail than the Ypsilon and we dealing with weapons grade technology...LOL.

The measurements are still pending, but I suspect we'll see the Ypsilon and the Nhoord looking very similar except for a stronger emphasis on the mids in the Nhoord. I could totally be wrong though. I am hardly a paragon of scientific method and measurement :D

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #35 of 597

More detailed? Any more detail than the Ypsilon and we dealing with weapons grade technology...LOL.

The measurements are still pending, but I suspect we'll see the Ypsilon and the Nhoord looking very similar except for a stronger emphasis on the mids in the Nhoord. I could totally be wrong though. I am hardly a paragon of scientific method and measurement :D

Thanks Feasbabay. I don't know if I want more forward mids than Ypsilon. That would make it more "shouty" like Grados. 

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #36 of 597

Thanks Feasbabay. I don't know if I want more forward mids than Ypsilon. That would make it more "shouty" like Grados. 

I can see how that would get annoying. I personally don't find them too aggressive, and more like a pair of the old SR80 pinks, but YMMV and all that...

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #40 of 597
Have any of you heard the Fostex TH-X00 from Massdrop?  If so, how would the bass compare?  Is the bass grado-like and little sub-bass or is it more authoritative?

Thanks folks!

Sep 6, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #41 of 597
Have any of you heard the Fostex TH-X00 from Massdrop?  If so, how would the bass compare?  Is the bass grado-like and little sub-bass or is it more authoritative?

Thanks folks!

I haven't heard the THX00 but I've heard numerous other headphones with the same type of driver such as the Denon D2000, TH900, and AQ Nighthawk. None of the Grado style drivers including the Nhoord Red has bass like those. The Nhoord Red is my favorite Grado style driver but it isn't for bassheads. Maybe for midbassheads :)

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #42 of 597
The Nhoord Red is my favorite Grado style driver but it isn't for bassheads. Maybe for midbassheads
smily_headphones1.gif

Editing my impressions. The Nhoords really opened up nicely. Very nice balance. More mid bass and low mids on the Nhoords compared to Ypsilon. 

My initial impressions: I think the Nhoord red drivers are a much better balanced driver than Ypsilon and Magnum V6. 

Thanks Jaco for the great customer service. Looking forward to more burn in. 

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #43 of 597
@sling5s, what type of cups do you have the Nhoord and Ypsilon mounted in?  Also, what style of cup?  I found the ypsilon in walnut a little bass lite and to forward in the mids, mounted in rosewood they have a much nicer balance to me, also like EZ G pads with them, Grado L pads are also not bad but don't give the sound stage that I like with the G pads.

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #44 of 597
  @sling5s, what type of cups do you have the Nhoord and Ypsilon mounted in?  Also, what style of cup?  I found the ypsilon in walnut a little bass lite and to forward in the mids, mounted in rosewood they have a much nicer balance to me, also like EZ G pads with them, Grado L pads are also not bad but don't give the sound stage that I like with the G pads.

My Ypsilon were in walnut. Now the Nhoords have replaced them.
Also I revised/edited my impressions. The Nhoords are really opening up now.
I want to gush with praise but I don't want to make the mistake again of giving my impressions too early.
I'm already in love with these drivers. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #45 of 597

Quote:

My Ypsilon were in walnut. Now the Nhoords have replaced them.
Also I revised/edited my impressions. The Nhoords are really opening up now.

Thanks for the quick reply.  Did you do any mods to the walnut cups?  I used some dynamat around the cup, really helped the bass and a little sorbothane on the back of the driver cleans up the overall sound.
This is a pic of the walnut cups with the PX-100ii drivers, which was replaced with the ypsilons.

This was the ypsilon in the walnut cup:

This is the current installation: lower left.  Didn't put sorbothane on the ypsilon since it seems to have some damping material on it to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back