Grado RS-1x Loaner Program @ TTVJAudio.com
Jun 25, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #18 of 21
RS1x – One of the Best Grado’s I Have Tried

Many thanks to Todd for sponsoring this RS1x Tour. I have completed my one week of listening period. Here are my thoughts on the RS1x.

Pros:
Clean and airy sound, transparency, wide soundstage, imaging and separation, bass quality and quantity

Cons:
Build quality (ear pads, cables, headband), could be fatiguing for long listening session

Grado Experience

My first encounter of the Grado’s was a pair of used SR80 which I purchased on eBay about 10 years ago. Initially I couldn’t stand their in-your-face sound, It took me a couple of years to learn how to appreciate the Grado sound. Since then, I have always kept at least one pair of Grado’s in my headphones collection. However, I have never tried the RS1’s. So when I saw Todd announced this RS1x Tour I knew I didn't want to miss it.

After almost two months of waiting, the RS1x finally arrived.

RS1x-1.jpg

RS1x-2.jpg
RS1x-3.jpg

RS1x Sound Impression

The RS1x, like the rest of the Grado family are open-back with its beautifully handcrafted ear cups which are made of maple, cocobolo and hemp wood. The RS1x delivers a clean, balanced yet slightly forward sound signature with incredible details. The soundstage is wide and cohesive. The imaging and instrument separation are top-notch.

One of the issues I have with many of the Grado headphones is their on-ear design. They will cause pains on my ears after about 20 minutes of head time. I decided to replace the L-cushions that came with the RS1X with my own G-cushions. I didn’t detect any significant change of the sound, but the G-cushions made the RS1x much more comfortable and enjoyable. The larger cushions seem to help with the soundstage as well. Therefore, all my RS1x impressions are based on the G-cushions.

rs1x-4.jpg

How do RS1x compare to the RS2e and GS1000x

Comparing to the RS1x, the RS2e are warmer and more relaxed. The RS2e are also less micro-detailed than the RS1x. Perhaps, it’s this micro-detailed sound signature which makes the RS1x a bit fatiguing during long listening session.

The GS1000x on the other hand demonstrates the quality of a flagship. They have more expansive soundstage, extremely detailed, great treble and bass extensions, excellent imaging and separation. Most of all, they are also much more musical. There is a sense of sweetness in their sound which is missing in the RS1x.

What About the DCA Ether 2

The Ether 2 shares certain sonic characteristics with the RS1x, exhibiting a somewhat similar sound signature. The Ether 2 are also very detailed with a spacious soundstage. Compared to the RS1x, the Ether 2 is a bit more polite. Although the Ether 2 seems to have greater extension in the treble, but they are never sibilant or harsh. The bass seems to extend a bit lower than the RS1x.

Sennheiser HD660S

I also did a little comparison between the RS1x and the HD660S. The HD660s are very neutral and balanced. They present the same level of details and instrument separation as the RS1x. However, the soundstage of the HD660S is more intimate. They are also a bit less energetic than the RS1x. Although I enjoy the HD660S a bit more in long listening session, especially when pairing the HD660S with a quality OTL tube amp. The Grado's don't do well with the tubes.

Summary

The RS1x are truly a pair of fantastic headphones. They have exceptional clarity, great soundstage, and the detail retrievals are amazing. The RS1x are also very comfortable with the G-cushions installed. I just wish that they would come with a softer cable.

Attachments

• IMG_1661.jpg
    IMG_1661.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1662.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1666.jpg
    IMG_1666.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #19 of 21
Grado RS-1X Impressions

Thank you very much Todd for providing me with the chance to try the Grado RS-1X as part of this tour. I really enjoyed my time with these headphones.

I have been a Grado user since 2006 when I acquired the original RS-2. I was excited to compare that headphone to this new generation.

Unboxing

Grado’s packaging has a reputation for being minimalistic. Yet, I deeply enjoyed the unboxing experience, and wanted to note it here.

The box is a simple white one, with only the GRADO logo printed. Opening it reveals a note with a family picture of three generations of Grado. Below it, prominently displayed are the headphones with their striking tri-wood cups. To the side is the cable, neatly packaged and with a premium feeling.

The overall sensation is of a special product, sold by a family with a proud tradition behind it. I found it very nicely done.

Build

The build is structurally the same as my RS-2s but most parts have been elevated: the headband is softer, the cable is more robust (but heavier!), the tri-wood cups look exotic, and the cup rings are metal instead of plastic. Overall, the RS-1X feel substantially more premium than the RS-2.

I happen to appreciate Grado builds. It’s functional and distinctive.

I don’t mind the L-cushions. I have not experienced the hot spots others mentioned. Could wear them for extended periods just fine, even while wearing eyeglasses.

Grado has excellent customer service, and the relatively simple construction of the headphones makes it easy to service them. A few years ago a driver in my RS-2 stopped working. I emailed Grado, they responded with clear and simple instructions, and fixed them for a very modest amount of money.

Sound

The RS-1X’s sonic presentation is incredibly open, lively and FUN. There is a clear emphasis in the upper mid-range and treble. Bass is not particularly deep, but very tight, controlled and fast. The RS-1X are very detailed.

The RS-1X are the best representation I have heard of “Grado sound”. It’s unique. I would not characterize it as “reference” sound. It’s a sound that makes me feel like I am in the recording room with the artists, hearing the music unfiltered and raw, before the studio mastering takes some of the edge off and smooths things out a bit.

Compared to the RS-2, the RS-1X are faster, more detailed, and fuller bodied. To my ears, doing an A/B test, the difference is noticeable, but not massive. Maybe 10%? My wife (far from an audiophile!) also did an A/B and could not tell the two pairs apart reliably. She loved both. The RS-2 still sound GREAT for being 17 years old.

I find Grados very engaging even at lower volumes, and the RS-1X are no exception.

From an amplification perspective, the RS-1X are very easy to drive. Using Schiit Vali and Magni Heresy amplifiers, I kept the volume knob at the lowest level possible without hitting channel imbalance.

I did a brief comparison also with two other headphones I own in broadly similar price bracket:

Audeze LCD-2C: I really like these headphones. Compared to the RS-1X they are better balanced, fully bodied, warmer, softer, with a more thunderous bass. But they are also slower, have less energy and excitement, and sound less “open”. If the RS-1X sound like I am in the room with the artist, the LCD-2C are very much the “post-production” sound, with the rougher edges smoothed out and playing in a more controlled environment. To me, the Grado and Audeze wonderfully complement each other.

Drop/Sennheiser 8xx: the first striking difference is in the scale of the soundstage: the 8xx sound much larger, as you would expect given their reputation. The 8xx have more detail and clarity than the RS-1x, and their presentation is more complex – there is just more information that comes through the 8xx vs. the Grado. The 8xx are technically superior headphones, and I tend to prefer them for a highly focused listening session, particularly with classical music. But for a song that is all about pace, energy and rhythm? The Grados come to life, and certainly hold their own, and deliver a sound that is perhaps simpler, but highly engaging.

Conclusions

I very much enjoy listening to Grado headphones. I appreciate my RS-2 as part of a collection. I don’t need them to be “reference”, or “flat”. I want them to do their thing. And provide a unique reproduction of music, with a distinctive sound signature. To me, that’s what the headphone hobby is all about.

The RS-1X are a special pair of Grados. They are beautiful, exotic, and well made. They will last a lifetime. They deliver a sound signature that is unlike any other headphone, at a high quality and in an exquisite package.

The asking price of $750 seems fair to me. I appreciate how Grado has kept their pricing coherent over the years, and increased only marginally with each generation. If you are in the market in this price range, I strongly recommend you give them a try.

Dealing with Todd has been a pleasure. Thank you again!

Aug 21, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #20 of 21
HI All,

The Grado RS-1x has returned home to me. I expect 1 or 2 more reviews to show up here soon.

Sadly, this is my last loaner program through Head-Fi. In the future the loaner programs will be announced and run through our newsletter and website. We will have a few new programs starting soon. Sigh up for our newsletter on our website here... https://www.ttvjaudio.com/default.asp on the bottom right of the front page. You will also be notified via newsletter when we have sales. So what ya waiting for - sign up now!

It has been great doing these programs and I hope a lot of you got to hear some gear you would not have been able to audition at home. I also hope it allowed you to make decisions based on you liking the products you auditioned!

It's been an honor!

Todd

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #21 of 21
Introduction

I have a fair amount of history with Grado headphones, both in personal use and multiple rounds of auditioning over more than a decade, including “i” series, “e” series, and now the “x” series. In the past, I think I was more impressed with Grados, likely due to the limited competition that was available as far back as 2010 when I first heard Grados, including the SR225i, SR325i, RS2i, and RS1i. But these days, there is far more stiff competition which I believe has pushed Grado squarely into a niche corner of the headphone world now – but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Personally, I own a pair of SR80e, which have served me very well as a daily driver that can be perfectly well run from an iPhone and a lightning dongle, allowing me to discover new music and occasionally dive back into some old favorites while working. But when it’s time to do some serious listening, I turn to my Audeze LCD-X. The RS1x is at the upper end of what I would ever personally consider spending for a set of Grados, so getting a chance to test them out was an exciting endeavor to see if I was willing to pull the trigger. For the purposes of this review, I’ll keep comparisons to fellow Grado headphones, as comparisons really serve best when they stay in the family.

Key Considerations:

• Source chain consisted of a Lenovo laptop > JRiver Media Center > USB into the ES9028 DAC card of my Schiit Lyr 3
  • Music varied from progressive metal, acoustic, singer/songwriter, movie soundtracks, and some jazz
  • Overall review time was limited due to vacation upon arrival and only having 4 days to spend with them, and then work crushing me otherwise
  • No EQ was used in these listening sessions, as I wanted to evaluate them in stock form (though I for sure would have dabbled in EQ had I had more time)
Packaging and Build

As with all Grados in the SR and RS series, there’s really not much to say about the packaging and build that hasn’t been said a million times for decades. The simple cardboard pizza box, the one size fits all foam cutouts, and the Grado greeting sheet – all come standard up and down these lines. The packaging serves its purpose, but also lets the listener know that these are meant to be no-nonsense headphones on a mission to deliver the house Grado sound. The philosophy in the packaging is true to their history, and it’s perfectly fine from my point of view. Opening up the box to see the gorgeous earcups on the RS1x, though, was worth the unboxing experience alone, as these headphones look stunning and are a considerable improvement in the aesthetics department. AND THE SMELL! These things even smell wonderful!

The build quality for the most part is typical Grado, most notably differing in the quality of the new triple wood earcups, new braided cable design, and the nice touch of the white stitching in the headband. The lightweight nature of Grados is always welcome, and if it weren’t for the genuinely horrible material of the earpads, they would easily disappear from awareness on your head. The triple wood cups add a bit of heft in your hands, but it’s still a nice and light feel. Overall, the build quality is a nice step up from the SR series of headphones and gives you a wonderful sense of quality and craftsmanship. Personally, while the new cable design is a bit clunky, I really didn’t mind it. Compared to the older vinyl cable designs, there’s much less tendency for tangling and has a higher quality feel.

Overall Sound Quality

A few months back, I got to audition the RS2x model, which like the RS1x, has a fairly considerable improvement in overall clarity, detail retrieval, and treble smoothness as compared to the SR series. When I had the RS2x, I had a great appreciation for the vivid presentation of my reference tracks – but what continued to take me out of my listening experience was the overly intimate sense that came with this vividness. There was a bit of a claustrophobic sensation to the soundstage, and ultimately cut my listening sessions short unless I was listening to Goldilocks genres of music. With the RS1x, I greatly welcomed the wider and more open sense to the head stage. Likewise, a greater extension and airiness in both bass and treble made for a slightly more relaxing experience – this was much more to my liking vs. the RS2x.

The RS1x also offered a more tonally dense and meaty midrange, which really gave electric guitars a crunch that was intoxicating at times. The combination of this tasty midrange with the speed and attack that are always on display fit extremely well for my favorite genre, prog metal. There is a tactile sense of grip and rip to these headphones, and the house Grado liveliness made these headphones bring some zest and excitement into the mix. While some genres and lesser quality recordings don’t play well to these characteristics, when you hit the sweet spot in source material, you really get an overall experience that I don’t think I’ve had yet with other brands of headphones.

The sum of the RS1x’s acoustical parts is a joy ride, but that doesn’t come without its challenges or faults, and I found myself needing to jump off the ride after shorter than normal stints due to listening fatigue. Again, this was very source material dependent, so your mileage may vary here. One really important note: these really shine best at moderate volumes, where you can appreciate the individual qualities but also lean into overall presentation without your ears tapping out. When I tried to give them a cranking during some toe-tapping moments, I found myself needing to dial it back down pretty quickly to re-tolerate the song.

Bass

As I recall from previous RS1 experiences, bass remains to be light fare with the “x” series. Bass heads need not apply here – you have to go in ready to be focused on quality of the bass presentation. With the RS1x, bass tone, texture and timbre are all on wonderful display. Hearing individual bass guitar lines in busy passages was no problem, where you could easily identify the plucks and slaps of a hearty bass line, examples included: Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Tool, Dream Theater. While you don’t get the rumbling or guttural slam of other headphones out there, you do get some incisive speed and attack that keeps music driving at pace and never muddies the detail on hand within the track. Bass drums have a nice kick as the dynamic drivers offer enough to offer some palpability, but it just misses on the associated thump that I am used to experiencing. Once you settle into the bass presentation, it’s very enjoyable and expressive.

Midrange

To no surprise, the midrange is where the RS1x shines (in the good way). The triple wood cups provide a tasty midrange that gives all the crunch, zip, and natural timbre that any fan of quality rock and metal yearns for. Some real fun was listening to Zack Brown Band’s Uncaged album, with tons of fun grooving melodies, instrumental solos, plucky acoustic guitars, and Zack’s impeccable vocals. There is so much to chew on in this album and a wide range of music styles on display – it’s a something for everyone type of album, and the RS1x brings the whole thing to life. Well recorded music absolutely thrives with the tonal accuracy and organic richness to the RS1x drivers in combination with the triple wood cups – there’s really not much more to say other than this is where the Grados earn their credibility. Not many headphones offer the realism that these can offer you – and this is the niche part of the headphone world that Grado has a really solid grasp of that’s worth diving into.

Treble

The more experience I have in this Hi-Fi hobby, the more I’ve come to realize the simple truth that I am very treble sensitive. I don’t think my listening preferences align with very many audiophiles, where bright, airy and hyper detailed sound is king. Rather, my ears tend to get irritated pretty easily and are very sensitive to peaks in treble response. I say this to be a disclaimer that my thoughts on the treble are likely much different from most others.

On one hand, the RS1x have a smooth and natural treble response. Cymbals by and large don’t offend, rather they offer the tone and timbre that allows you to differentiate between different cymbal types. The natural decay is present after the initial strike, and plenty of space between instruments allows you to pick fine details out apart from each other. The classic Grado air and openness is fully rendered, and there is always a sense of you-are-there in the overall presentation of the treble. Source material once again comes into considerable play here, as better quality tracks will keep you captivated, However, if the source tracks are less than stellar, you’re going to know all of the warts present. You can mostly toss out late 90/early 2000 rock with these headphones – it grates on you quickly.

What affected me most about the treble was the peakiness in the 2kHz, 5kHz, and 9kHz regions. Those peaks were really hard for me to get over, as they would pull me out of the music almost immediately when tracks would have too much going on up there. This is also what kept me in the moderate volume range most of the time when listening – any time I wanted to really get into something and turn it up a good bit, I wouldn’t last more than a minute before I had to taper back into moderation. The more spacious presentation of the RS1x over the RS2x made this, admittedly, more tolerable, but it was still an inevitable result during my sessions – and this occurred in just about all genres of music, not just heavier material. There’s a lot to love with the treble of these headphones, but it ultimately was just too much for me to live with for long.

Soundstage

The RS1x, in comparison to the littler siblings in the SR and RS lines, has by far the best soundstaging and imaging capabilities. Even the RS2x, while imaging very well, still gets bested by the RS1x with a more vivid, laser focused center image. Instrument separation is the best of the line as the wider and taller stage gives you more headspace to work with. But where the biggest difference is, in my opinion, is in the depth. Layering of a track is much more refined and the ability to identify instruments further back in space is considerably easier to do. Don’t get me wrong – this is still a relatively intimate presentation from the RS1x, but when speaking in Grado terms, it is a very sizeable improvement and is worth the step up from the RS2x.

Conclusion

One thing to consider about Grado headphones is that their house sound is insanely consistent. When going back and forth between my lowly SR80e and the RS1x, it was unbelievably obvious that these headphones, despite the grossly different price tags, had more in common than you would expect. The big picture presentation was so similar that it made me shake my head at times – the airiness, spaciousness, and liveliness are eerily similar. It’s when you start listening more closely that the differences jump out. While I wouldn’t say that the SR80e matches the performance capabilities of the RS1x, I would just say that the SR80e offers a truly incredible value in the headphone market for anyone looking for a life-like sound.

However, the RS1x does truly stand out on its own compared to its other siblings. There’s no doubt that they make the absolute most of the Grado house sound and allow the listener to peer farther into the music with a more confident and accurate portrayal of the recording. For me personally, the (dis)comfort of the L-cush pads and the peaky treble made the RS1x a pass for me. But I’ll be damned if I don’t still think about the sound offered with some of my favorite tracks at times. If I had $750 to throw around and was interested in having a stable of different for-purpose headphones around, I would buy them – because what they do well, they do very well, and I don’t know many other headphones out there that offer the same experience for those sweet spot genres as the RS1x do.

Thanks so much to Todd for offering the chance to play with these!

IMG-4324.jpg
IMG-4325.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back