Grado RS1i GS-Soundstage MOD or GS/PS MOD to Improve Midrange
Dec 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sling5s

Headphoneus Supremus
Finally for all those who wanted the soundstage of GS/PS but didn't want to sacrifice the mids of RS (the immediacy, intimacy and attack) and not to mention the money.

Steps:
a. Take the Jumbo/G-Cusion and insert it into the ring of the wooden driver housing.
b. Than take inner part of the Jumbo Pad surrounding the driver and insert that too into the wooden ring. 

Benefits:
a. Pressing the inner pad into the driver housing brings the diver closer to the ear by 3/4 of an inch.  
It drastically removes the recessed mids, decreases the treble sibilance, and gives it the GS soundstage (without GS recessed mids).  
b. And at the same time, the pad surrounding the driver is moved further out, from the driver (increasing the diameter of the inner pad). therefore, increase room for the ear to be right on the driver like on the RS1, which makes it aggressive like the RS1. 

This MOD is simple and combines the character of the RS(attack and immediacy of mids and GS (soundstage).

Note: This MOD can be used on GS/PS1000 to improve midrange presence (solve recessed mids) and increase the RS1 in your face feel. 

1st picture shows regular jumbo pad insertion.
2nd pictures shows inner pad being forced into the wooden housing ring.
3rd pictures shows how it should look after all is done.

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 7
I hate to be the Grinch here, but I tried this a couple of years ago, when I got the GS1000 and hated the effects of its increased ear/driver distance (hollowed-out bass, sibilance).  I didn't know, at the time, that the problem was a lack of amping (When I got my M^3 with variable bass boost, the GS1000 underwent a cinderella-like transformation).  I tried various pad adjustments, including the mod displayed in these pictures.  It didn't work.  The bare wood produced more sibilance than the increased ear/driver distance.

I solved my problem by cutting the jumbos back a few millimeters.  This reduced the ear/driver distance without baring the wood and creating that hard, reflective surface.  That said, I don't recommend my own mod.  Cutting a few millimeters off the jumbos fixed my sibilance but it made the cushions ugly, killed some HF extension and re-introduced the ear fatigue people use the jumbos to avoid.

So, my first answer wasn't the answer, but neither is this one.  

If you want to press the cushions back, you'll still need to cover the now-exposed wood.  I don't recommend adhesive felt, which could mar the finish if you ever remove it (It also won't lie flat, so instead of a simple covering, you'll end up with a shallow felt-covered tube, which will affect the SQ for the worse).  A better approach is to buy a sheet of felt - or chamois material - and cut with a hole large enough for the front grill but with enough of a border to anchor it by tucking the ends down into the gap between the cushion and the sides of the wooden cylinder.  This will at least damp that reflective surface on the top - if you want to continue with this mod.  The trick will be to keep the cloth down without any adhesive.  Maybe rubber bands could be used to hold the borders in place.  Then again, the flip side of the wooden disk is not meant to be seen.  You'll find it curiously lacking in lacquer.

The PS1000 is more of a compromise between the RS1 and GS1000.  The pads are the same distance but the use of an aluminum top cuts the mahogany effect in half.  This gives the PS1000 less thump than the GS1000 while the four-hole vent it uses gives it more of it than the RS1.  A less grandiose thump allows you to crank up the volume higher, which raises the mids.  Those listening to a brand-new PS1000 at a Canjam or a headphone shop may miss what the PS1000 produces after a full burn-in.  To my ears, it's sonic nirvana.

If you've got an RS1 and you want to use the same pads as the GS1000, it's no surprise that doing so will leave you with anemic bass and a lack of midrange presence.  How do you introduce these pads and still get what you want: an RS1 with jumbos?  Short of buying a PS1000 - or of buying a strong amp with decent bass boost - you need to crack open the RS1 and check the number of vents in the driver back.  The GS1000 has four holes, but it also has that heavy, hammerhead muffin-top ring.  Without it, a well-vented RS1 may have just the right amount of bass to maintain a good tonal balance.  If it's all a little too bassy, I'd recommend removing the secondary shell (or drilling vents into it).

This is all pretty scary stuff when you're talking about making permanent changes to a $700 headphone.  On the other hand, it's only a matter of time before Grado lovers realize that they can produce their own PS1000 by modifying an RS1 or HF2, whichever they acquire at the right price.  Playing God(o) with a used RS1 may seem like an expensive roll of the dice, but for the person who wants a $1,700 PS1000 for $500, it may not be such a bad move.  Vent the driver, keep the mahogany underpants and enjoy what people are getting when they pay for a PS1000: an RS1 with jumbos.

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 7
Someone should make a YouTube video on how to transform a RS1 into a mini PS1000. Or a well detailed step by step with good pictures. You will be LoVed. :)

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 7
Even with this mod: some eq is necessary.  With my vintage amp, I increase the bass and midrange by two notches.
This compensates for the increased distance of the jumbo pad.  But still this mod decreases the distance making the eq more feasible.
Without this mod, even increasing the bass and midrange is not sufficient and the sibilance is hard to eq.

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 7

Someone should make a YouTube video on how to transform a RS1 into a mini PS1000. Or a well detailed step by step with good pictures. You will be LoVed.
smily_headphones1.gif

That would be cool!  I no longer have an RS1, but I do have mahogany and - hopefully by tomorrow - I'll soon have some cocobolo.  I need to order some jumbo pads.  I just got a gift card for Christmas so maybe I can get that part of it started.

I suspect, however, that somebody out there will get to it before I do.  If not, by the time the pads come in, I'll have the rest of it in place.  If and when I get something like this together, I wouldn't mind sharing the results.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 7

That would be cool!  I no longer have an RS1, but I do have mahogany and - hopefully by tomorrow - I'll soon have some cocobolo.  I need to order some jumbo pads.  I just got a gift card for Christmas so maybe I can get that part of it started.

I suspect, however, that somebody out there will get to it before I do.  If not, by the time the pads come in, I'll have the rest of it in place.  If and when I get something like this together, I wouldn't mind sharing the results.

There are tons of headphones unboxing videos on YouTube, but that didn't stop me from doing my own. I'm having fun and I think viewers are enjoying them. I say go for it! We will appreciate the work and have fun modding ours. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back