Grado SR-200 with HP-1000 drivers versus Alessandro MS-2. Versus the Darth Beyers.
Oct 21, 2004 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
Before I start, here's my system.

My Rig:The Final Solution.

GSP Audio Graham Slee Solo Monitor Amp, modified by Pink Floyd and Lan to become "Pinkie" - 2004 spec, then bootstrapped, big caps, PSU modded with big caps, power and line conditioning, fat power cable, etc. No matter what the impedance, from 32 to 600, this amp will feed you the juice right at 9 O'Clock.

Toshiba 3960 DVD Player, modified by Voodoochile to become "Tushi" - Swenson and Vinnie mods, 8620 op amp, all caps upgraded, etc etc.

Interconnects - Audioquest Diamondbacks. After checking out all my ICs I still like these best of my collection with my rig.

And here are the cans.

Grado SR-200 with HP-1000 drivers. Stock from the factory - yep Joltin' Joe's outfit put those suckers in themselves, go figure. Using original Grado flats too.

Alessandro MS-2. Flats from Todd. Stock, designed by John Grado, tweaked on suggestions by Alessandro.

The Darth Beyers. Beyerdynamic DT770/600 Ohm, heavily modified by Larry of Headphile - new cable, tweaked drivers, new stock cups, new fluffy factory velour pads. The original Bassmeister, returned to the Death Star by Tagasoku - thanks man, you are the MAN.

The music:

"No Scrubs" by TLC, off the import Arista CD release "TLC Now and Forever - The Hits." It's not compressed or too hot at all, nice. This track brings the subwoofer bass, and has a rap by Left Eye that requires the PRaT to be spot on. And the Pinkie brings it. And the Bass.

"Close to You" by Carpenters. I can't say enough about Carpenters Gold: 35th Anniversary Edition. Really well mastered. Karen Carpenter's close miked vocals would make a Koss sound like a Qualia. Just ask my KSC-35, they believe.

"Train in Vain" by The Clash from the remastered CD - London Calling. Did Mick Jones sing two different vocals, one for the left signal, one for the right? Ayep. Fun.

More to come as blow by blows later folks. I need to listen to the intro of Michael Jackson's "Black or White" and the crazy sampled bass in Pet Shop Boys' "Always on my Mind" and, hmm, the entire Ferrington Guitar sampler...

So here we go.

SR-200. Extreme detail. Extreme separation. Extreme realism. Extreme resolution. But not bright, not sibilant, not forward, not as in your face. This is the doctor bringing you a sonic clinic. He will tell you exactly what is going on, good or ill, with your song, your amp, your source, your interconnect. In fact, it actually helped me stay with the Audioquests over the Starquads. Very very balanced from highs to lows. Extension is far reaching with no discernable emphasis in any particular frequency.

MS-2. The fun little sister to the SR-200. Yeah, I said fun. Insert "very" over "extreme." Also not bright, not sibilant, but she IS forward and in your face. She will force you to listen to the music and get engaged. A more forgiving can than the SR-200. Not as extended in the bass as the Darth Beyers, and maybe a touch less than the SR-200, but it's hard to tell because the bass slam of the MS-2 is huge comparatively. It almost seems like there is a hump in the bass, hump in the mids, and hump in the treble, if that makes sense. Seems as even as steven when compared to the DT770, but colored when compared to the SR-200. This is the most neutral John Grado can I've heard. But that still makes it more "commercial" than Joe Grado's SR200.

The Darth Beyers. This can is out of control. Bass extends to the depths of hell. And it brought back the shriek harpies. Sibilance is hissypissy compared to the MS-2 and SR200. These highs are nigh piercing. Mids are actually quite nice. The bass rushes at you like a flood of mercury, but it's not as slamming as the MS-2. Meanwhile the treble uses your eardrums as a punching bag. But after a while you find yourself listening to them more than the SR200, because it's a killer fun can. And it's closed, so you'll listen to them over the MS-2 when the wife doesn't want to hear "No Scrubs" for the millionth time.

Here's some examples. "Close to you" just sounded way too good with all the cans, so I switched to "Superstar" by Carpenters. The intrumental intro has a high hat that sounds like "tis, tis tiss" with the MS-2, "SSS, SS SSSS" on the Beyers, and like a high hat with the SR200.

"Train in Vain" on the SR200 let me listen to the whole song actually listening to the differences between Mick Jones' different vocals in the left and right signals because they were separated so cleanly and distinctly. But the MS-2 was the can I bobbed my head to. The Darth Beyers were sort of unlistenable with this punk tune lol.

"No Scrubs." This is where the Bassmeister ruled. Subwoofer cans unite. Plus the highs didn't seem so crazy with the DT770 here. Head nodder track with the DT770. The MS-2 was fun too, just less so - where'd the subwoofer bass go? The SR200 said "here it is." But it didnt' say "YO HERE IZ DA SHIZNIT!" Also I think the SR200 sort of missed the point - it actually made the sampled bits sound like a snippet of an actual piano, a snippet of an actual bass guitar, etc. I couldn't groove - I was too busy listening lol.

Remember folks this is the first day I've had my whole rig back - all the new caps have to burn in, etc. And the cans are all together for the first time, so there might be some short-term and A/B/C comparo impressions to take with a grain of salt. I'll give the blow by blow as the days lead up to the NYC meet. I was sort of hoping either the SR200 or the MS-2 would totally be wrong for me so I could sell one and appease the wife immediately, but right now, honestly, I want to keep all three cans. CURSE YOU HEAD-FI!
IMG_0033.jpg

Oct 21, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #3 of 63
SR-200s are great headphones. Very neutral. If that modded Toshiba is any good, I'd make my next upgrade a Gilmore amp. They went great together.

Oct 21, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
SR-200s are great headphones. Very neutral. If that modded Toshiba is any good, I'd make my next upgrade a Gilmore amp. They went great together.

Yep I'm looking forward to bringing everything to the NYC meet. Cans, amp, source, etc. Maybe there I'll find a new upgrade path - try the source with new amps, try the amp with new sources, try all cans with everything else, etc etc.

Edit- I let my ears acclimate to the Beyers. Now here's something interesting. I heard something with my Rig:The Final Solution and the Beyers that I didn't hear with the SR200 and the portable rig. An echo repeat fade at the intro of "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" by the Propellerheads - on CD versus the portable's ipod to SR71. Well, now i hear it with the SR200 and MS-2 on my main rig too. Hmm. Seems that my portable rig is hiding things from me, and the Beyers are detailed enough to utilize what the main rig can show me. At least for this track. WHOA THE BASS JUST KICKED IN

Oct 21, 2004 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 63
I've been trying to buy some SR200's for like 6 months... they're hard to come by. I was winning bidder on some on ebay with like 5 seconds left, I bid 3 seconds left, final bid went up another $50. I can't believe they sell for >$250. What was the original MSRP? Anyone remember how many years they sold for?

Nice comparison btw
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 63
I just had an eargasm and I had to wipe my lobes off. The Darth Beyers are KILLER with Propellerheads. What the hell did Lan do to my Solo? All of a sudden the damn 670uf caps kicked in - or was it 680? Well definitely bigger than the 470 PinkFloyd recommended - and the result is a KICKIN bass. Damn. I'm glad these are closed cans - it's too late at night for the Grados right now. Man.

Oct 21, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 63
So Jahn, you feel the ms2 is in the leagues of the sr-200 with hp1 drivers, but the rs-1 is not in the same league as the sr-200, meaning you find the ms2 superior to the rs-1? Please correct me if I'm wrong and putting words in your mouth, but I wish to get a feel for where the rs-1 places into all of this.

Oct 21, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
So Jahn, you feel the ms2 is in the leagues of the sr-200 with hp1 drivers, but the rs-1 is not in the same league as the sr-200, meaning you find the ms2 superior to the rs-1? Please correct me if I'm wrong and putting words in your mouth, but I wish to get a feel for where the rs-1 places into all of this.

To be fair to the RS-1, they weren't burned in at all - they were basically brand spankin new waiting for my friend to pick them up. Also, I compared them from the ipod to either the RA-1 or the SR-71. Honestly, my main rig now blows those combos out, so if I had the RS-1 now they'd probably stand a better chance at showing what they've got.

To give you an example, my friend took the RS/RA combo back to philly and plugged them into his crappy pioneer cd player and crappy monster cables and called me saying "why does this sound like crap? it sounded great out of your ipod!" garbage in, garbage out.

finally, the MS-2 just fits my personal preference for a more neutral sound and something geared for analytical listening, while still being fun. the RS-1 struck me as a damn fun potentially over the top can, while the SR200 was way more balanced and neutral. the SR200 is still more neutral and balanced than the MS-2, but the gap is more narrow.

but i can't compare the MS-2 to the RS-1 as i don't have them both under the same roof at the same time right now. but yes the SR200 still killed the RS-1 when they were here imho, while the MS-2 is holding its own and offering a different, hmm, "flavor" to the SR200 right now through my main rig.

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 63
Wow.

Sweet review. Very informative & personal. Thanks.

Interesting to see how the Beyers compare to those other 'phones with your killer equipment. While I'm beginning to think that they may not do it for my primary can, I'm also thinking that I really ought to keep them around for certain types of music. I'm not making any decisions until my JMT amp gets here though. My Denon receiver is just too iffy--I have absolutely no idea how it's going to compare to a dedicated headphone amp, since I've never used one before.

Thanks again. This is exactly the kind of review a guy in my position wants to see. Keep it up!

-Chad

Oct 21, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #10 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
To be fair to the RS-1, they weren't burned in at all -

I"ve had my RS1s for about 3 weeks now and was intially dissapointed in them, found the highs especially a bit harsh on some recordings, this was with about 40/50 hours on them, left them alone for about another week running in and what a difference. Now they're everything I hoped for and quite different from the SR225s. Every time I sit down to try and anylise the sound with them I just get caught up in the music, have in fact given up on that pointless exercise and getting back into exploring my records.

Interested in your comments re the MS2s as the positive feedback on these can has me seriously considering adding a set of these to the collection, if nothing else to have a wood/alloy/plastic set.Plus they look so damn good, I think metal suits the Grado design best. Everytime the unfeeling members of the MS2 fan club post a picture my wallet starts to itch.

Oct 21, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 63
Thanks Jahn for your opinion. You have gathered much grado/alessandro info recently.

Oct 21, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 63
Quote:

Before I start, here's my system.

My Rig:The Final Solution.

GSP Audio Graham Slee Solo Monitor Amp, modified by Pink Floyd and Lan to become "Pinkie" - 2004 spec, then bootstrapped, big caps, PSU modded with big caps, power and line conditioning, fat power cable, etc. No matter what the impedance, from 32 to 600, this amp will feed you the juice right at 9 O'Clock.

Toshiba 3960 DVD Player, modified by Voodoochile to become "Tushi" - Swenson and Vinnie mods, 8620 op amp, all caps upgraded, etc etc.

Interconnects - Audioquest Diamondbacks. After checking out all my ICs I still like these best of my collection with my rig.

And here are the cans.

Grado SR-200 with HP-1000 drivers. Stock from the factory - yep Joltin' Joe's outfit put those suckers in themselves, go figure. Using original Grado flats too.

Alessandro MS-2. Flats from Todd. Stock, designed by John Grado, tweaked on suggestions by Alessandro.

The Darth Beyers. Beyerdynamic DT770/600 Ohm, heavily modified by Larry of Headphile - new cable, tweaked drivers, new stock cups, new fluffy factory velour pads. The original Bassmeister, returned to the Death Star by Tagasoku - thanks man, you are the MAN.

The music:

"No Scrubs" by TLC, off the import Arista CD release "TLC Now and Forever - The Hits." It's not compressed or too hot at all, nice. This track brings the subwoofer bass, and has a rap by Left Eye that requires the PRaT to be spot on. And the Pinkie brings it. And the Bass.

"Close to You" by Carpenters. I can't say enough about Carpenters Gold: 35th Anniversary Edition. Really well mastered. Karen Carpenter's close miked vocals would make a Koss sound like a Qualia. Just ask my KSC-35, they believe.

"Train in Vain" by The Clash from the remastered CD - London Calling. Did Mick Jones sing two different vocals, one for the left signal, one for the right? Ayep. Fun.

More to come as blow by blows later folks. I need to listen to the intro of Michael Jackson's "Black or White" and the crazy sampled bass in Pet Shop Boys' "Always on my Mind" and, hmm, the entire Ferrington Guitar sampler...

So here we go.

SR-200. Extreme detail. Extreme separation. Extreme realism. Extreme resolution. But not bright, not sibilant, not forward, not as in your face. This is the doctor bringing you a sonic clinic. He will tell you exactly what is going on, good or ill, with your song, your amp, your source, your interconnect. In fact, it actually helped me stay with the Audioquests over the Starquads. Very very balanced from highs to lows. Extension is far reaching with no discernable emphasis in any particular frequency.

MS-2. The fun little sister to the SR-200. Yeah, I said fun. Insert "very" over "extreme." Also not bright, not sibilant, but she IS forward and in your face. She will force you to listen to the music and get engaged. A more forgiving can than the SR-200. Not as extended in the bass as the Darth Beyers, and maybe a touch less than the SR-200, but it's hard to tell because the bass slam of the MS-2 is huge comparatively. It almost seems like there is a hump in the bass, hump in the mids, and hump in the treble, if that makes sense. Seems as even as steven when compared to the DT770, but colored when compared to the SR-200. This is the most neutral John Grado can I've heard. But that still makes it more "commercial" than Joe Grado's SR200.

The Darth Beyers. This can is out of control. Bass extends to the depths of hell. And it brought back the shriek harpies. Sibilance is hissypissy compared to the MS-2 and SR200. These highs are nigh piercing. Mids are actually quite nice. The bass rushes at you like a flood of mercury, but it's not as slamming as the MS-2. Meanwhile the treble uses your eardrums as a punching bag. But after a while you find yourself listening to them more than the SR200, because it's a killer fun can. And it's closed, so you'll listen to them over the MS-2 when the wife doesn't want to hear "No Scrubs" for the millionth time.

Here's some examples. "Close to you" just sounded way too good with all the cans, so I switched to "Superstar" by Carpenters. The intrumental intro has a high hat that sounds like "tis, tis tiss" with the MS-2, "SSS, SS SSSS" on the Beyers, and like a high hat with the SR200.

"Train in Vain" on the SR200 let me listen to the whole song actually listening to the differences between Mick Jones' different vocals in the left and right signals because they were separated so cleanly and distinctly. But the MS-2 was the can I bobbed my head to. The Darth Beyers were sort of unlistenable with this punk tune lol.

"No Scrubs." This is where the Bassmeister ruled. Subwoofer cans unite. Plus the highs didn't seem so crazy with the DT770 here. Head nodder track with the DT770. The MS-2 was fun too, just less so - where'd the subwoofer bass go? The SR200 said "here it is." But it didnt' say "YO HERE IZ DA SHIZNIT!" Also I think the SR200 sort of missed the point - it actually made the sampled bits sound like a snippet of an actual piano, a snippet of an actual bass guitar, etc. I couldn't groove - I was too busy listening lol.

Remember folks this is the first day I've had my whole rig back - all the new caps have to burn in, etc. And the cans are all together for the first time, so there might be some short-term and A/B/C comparo impressions to take with a grain of salt. I'll give the blow by blow as the days lead up to the NYC meet. I was sort of hoping either the SR200 or the MS-2 would totally be wrong for me so I could sell one and appease the wife immediately, but right now, honestly, I want to keep all three cans. CURSE YOU HEAD-FI!
IMG_0033.jpg

Nice setup.

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 63
Very nice review. Sadly, the chance of getting an audition of those grado here is near nihil.

Just a question though.

Quote:

You have two outputs now on the cdp ? The Swenson mod bypass the output stage where the 8620 would be
confused.gif

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
Very nice review. Sadly, the chance of getting an audition of those grado here is near nihil.

Just a question though.

You have two outputs now on the cdp ? The Swenson mod bypass the output stage where the 8620 would be
confused.gif

Yep, right now you can have two outputs from the Tushi simultaneously - the Swenson dedicated audio out, and the digital out (lan used this at the last meet to hook up his DAC) if you want to use the Tushi just as a transport. Pretty flexible. All reviews are out of the Swenson outs, which I prefer most. In fact reading this I tried plugging in the stock audio outs into my monitor, but it looks like the stock audio outs are indeed bypassed? Does this mean the 8620 isn't being used at all? lol maybe voodoo can chime in.

BTW if you have more interest in the Tushi, look at Voodoochile's blow by blow of this machine: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=tushi

Oct 22, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 63
As promised, here's the blow by blow. Got home, fired up the Tushi (the Pinkie is on non-stop, we have some caps to burn here!) and popped in "Black or White" by Michael Jackson.

Darth Beyers - the soundstage is faaaar more expansive than either grado. very 3-D when the door is pounded, when the tape is being moved into the tape deck, etc. The pounding had a nice bass thump to it too. The SR200 sort of fell flat here - some tracks just really cry out for soundstage, and this was one of them. if allowed, the intro can sound almost binaural. But the SR200 did have an extremely realistic sound of the plastic cassette being shoved into the cheapo tape deck. The MS-2 had a great bass slam with the door being pounded. Mcauly Culkin (sp?) actually sounded very in your face with the MS-2, while he was in the background a bit with the SR200. I think for what MJ was trying to achieve here, the response of the MS-2 with the soundstage of the Beyers with the accuracy/realism of the SR200 would be the right combo.

Time for "Billie Jean" - the track Hi Fi Choice Magazine chose as the best track to gauge treble. Well the Beyers were unlistenable. The MS-2 was bordering on bright but the track was extremely lively and active. The SR200 pulled this track in and was just amazing - all the highs weren't highs - they were instruments being played - cymbals, electric guitar with a funky twang, the little egg shaker thingy, hand claps, it was an orchestral pop piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back