Ground loop isolator getting EM interference from amp
Dec 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

tim79b

New Head-Fier
Hi All!
I recently bought a Schiit Lyr + Bifrost combo and have been having some trouble with an apparent ground loop in the circuit.
I have purchased a ground loop isolator, and this appears to have resolved that issue, however, I am now getting EM interference from the Lyr into the isolator – when I put the isolator on top of the Lyr, it’s almost painfully loud, and when I move it away it rapidly decreases in volume, but I can only get it so far away due to the interconnect lengths on the isolator (~150mm).
It is only an inexpensive car audio isolator (Stinger SGN20), and it has a couple of auxillary earth wires.  I have 2 questions:
1.     Is earthing the two other wires likely to resolve the interference issue?
2.     Are dedicated home audio type isolators (i.e. not car audio – like the Jensen CI-2RR or ART DTI) better shielded to deal with this sort of thing?
Thanks for any help in advance.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 2
Bill Whitlock has an excellent paper on troubleshooting this type of problem. Go to the troubleshooting section.

2012 updated version:
"An Overview of Audio System Grounding and Interfacing"
by Bill Whitlock, President
Jensen Transformers, Inc.
Life Fellow, Audio Engineering Society
Life Senior Member, Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers
http://centralindianaaes.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/indy-aes-2012-seminar-w-notes-v1-0.pdf

2005 version:
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/generic%20seminar.pdf

Also, Jim Brown writes on the subject:

This flies in the face of tired, old thinking like "ground loops" as the cause of all ills. Nothing could be farther from the truth -- the whole idea of a "ground loop" is false, and based upon false logic. Loops are NOT the cause of hum and buzz - AC leakage currents and unbalanced wiring are the root cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back