GS Audio Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2021 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,414

mndless

500+ Head-Fier
An old hand at manufacturing IEMs for other, as of yet undisclosed brands, GS Audio has recently decided to branch out by selling their own house brand of IEMs through the AliExpress marketplace. Their pricing is competitive and the shell designs are a classic winged design intended to seat itself against the antihelical fold surrounding the concha of the ear. It's a commonplace design, but generally well received. Their sizing is extremely average, in an attempt to appeal to a broad audience of listeners. My first purchase from them is also the first IEM they listed on their store, the GD7B. This brings us to their naming scheme. Their current naming scheme is composed of, primarily, a two character prefix followed by a number and possibly followed by another letter. They have two primary series of IEMs, the competitive and the performance series. The competitive series is their more cost-conscious offering, denoted by a G as the first character of the prefix. These achieve their bargain basement pricing by using Bellsing drivers occasionally interspersed with drivers from better known manufacturers Knowles and Sonion. The performance series is, as the name might imply, their higher-end offering, denoted by an S as the first character of the prefix. These are focused on providing a more premium IEM offering. These use primarily Knowles and Sonion drivers for their generally improved performance and ease of tuning compared to the Bellsing alternatives. Within those series, there are hybrid offerings, denoted by a D as the second character in the prefix, all-BA offerings, which have a T as the second character, and electret-equipped offerings with an E. Currently there are no dynamic driver only sets or alternate tribrid or hybrid configurations, so it is unknown how they will denote those within their naming scheme when or if they become available. The number in the model name identifies how many drivers are in each IEM, unlike how KZ or CCA name their offerings. The letter following this denotes a different tuning revision for a particular model. So, for instance, my GD7B is the second revision of the competitive series hybrid IEM featuring 7 drivers in total per side.

In summary:

First Letter:
S=performance series, a more premium offering​
G=competitive series, a more mainstream offering​

Second Letter:
E=electret hybrid​
D=Hybrid with a dynamic driver​
T=BA only set​

Number= the number of drivers per ear

Third Letter=variation on the base design
A=first revision​
B=second revision​
...​

Through the number of interactions people have had with their representatives on AliExpress, it has come to light that you are able to request a certain amount of customization for your order:

• For $30 you can get a custom logo added to the faceplate
  • For $20 you can change the faceplate design or shell color to those from the rest of their product line (for example, you could get a GD7B with the shell and faceplate from the SD3)
  • For an additional $10 you can get a metal nozzle refitted onto models that do not ordinarily come with it. If you are fond of tip-rolling or want the option to use tips with particularly short stems, this option is highly recommended, as it improves compatibility with aftermarket eartips significantly.
  • For an additional $10 you can choose an alternate connector terminal type. I have confirmed that they can make them with flush-mount 2-pin instead of recessed 2-pin, and you can also get them made with MMCX connectors. It is unknown how these alternate connectors impact their insertion relief vents in the connector block.
  • For an additional $300, they can copy the shell shape from other manufacturers (The additional cost is associated not only with having to make the mold for the one-off casting, but also for retuning the drivers and crossover to correct for changes associated with the new shell)
Customization requests should be made in the "note to the seller" section when purchasing, and it is advisable to reach out to their representative in chat to confirm the alterations that you would like. When placing orders with customization options, you will need to also order the Special Link for Postage and Supplemental Price. They've added additional options to this listing to cover alternate postage costs, the cost for customizing the set with an MMCX connector, the cost for customizing the set with a metal nozzle, and the cost for adding a custom logo to the set. If you are ordering a set with custom shell aesthetic options, you will need to also order the GS AUDIO Artwork Appearance Options Customized Earphone Appearance Shell Panel with Beautiful IEM. If you are okay with the shell and faceplate designs, just include the set code from the chart in that listing in the "note to the seller" section when placing the IEM purchase. If you want to try a different combination, you'll want to reach out to the seller representatives to confirm that it is feasible, then use the set codes to specify which shell color and which faceplate designs you want.

It has been confirmed that retuning sets is possible, but that this option is currently reserved for bulk orders due to the amount of labor involved in redesigning the crossover network and driver selections. The same is true for custom shell shapes based on other manufacturer's shell designs. GS Audio is willing to copy these designs, but this service is intended for bulk orders and is, as such, prohibitively expensive.

Feel free to check out their store page here: GS Audio AliExpress Store Listings

They also have a Facebook Page now, including new graphs with actual scale markings for even more clarity.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 1,414
GS Audio GD7B Review

Pros:
Nearly reference frequency response
Extreme resolution
Wall of sound experience
Incredibly easy to drive

Cons:
Highly source dependant
Can be too easy to drive to uncomfortable volumes
Unkind to poorly mastered tracks
Recessed 2-pin connector isn't very friendly to bluetooth adapters

Specifications:
Impedance: 12ohm@1kHz
Sensitivity: 118dB SPL/mW
Driver configuration: 1DD+6BA
Drivers:
10.2mm DD for sub-bass and bass
Sonion 33 series BA for mid-bass and mids
Sonion 23 series BA for upper mids and low treble
Knowles TWFK series BA for upper treble and UHF

TL;DR: If you want to experience having 15" reference loudspeakers strapped to your head on a budget, get these. They're quite fun.

Sound impressions:
If you've ever heard a set of reference tuned loudspeakers, then this will be easier to understand. I own a set of KEF iQ90 tower speakers and, much like the GD7B, they have what may be considered a ruler flat frequency response. This kind of tuning is a bit unusual and may not be everyone's cup of tea, as it can make vocals seem forward in the mix, because the mids aren't diminished in their tuning. It can make the bass seem weak because no gain has been applied to elevate them over the mids. But when you're listening to music that was mastered well, none of this matters. Everything is just so cohesive. Because there's no real dips in the frequency response, you get no sharp transitions from mids to treble or from bass to mids. Everything just flows naturally into the other. As another reviewer mentioned in their review of the TRI Starshine, this provides a very "Analog" sound signature. And because the bass is being handled by a dynamic driver, there's a comfortable warmth to the bass and enough of an impact that it feels like the first time I listened to a sound system on a tube amp or an album played off a vinyl record. Warm, comfortable, and generally inoffensive in its reproduction. The difference, though, is that underneath that warmth, you get the extreme resolution and layering of all those BA drivers. And despite the bass being handled by a dynamic driver of unknown make and composition, there's real texture and detail in the bass response and it reaches deep for some sub-bass rumble. It never overwhelms or bleeds into the mids, but you do get some depth.

I can't give a particularly good impression of stage size, since I don't have any of the IEM's known for that to compare it against. All I can say is that listening to a stereo recording of an orchestral performance feels like when I was watching my sister play in concert band from the front row. The percussion is crisp and clear, but feels as though it's coming from the back of the stage. The woodwinds feel closer toward the front of the stage, with the brass section behind. It's a very nice listening experience.

Now onto the thing you'll actually notice first: the volume. These things are incredibly easy to drive because they're only 12ohm impedance at 1kHz. Combined with a sensitivity of 118dB SPL/mW, this means these things can get ridiculously loud on very little power. This also means that these are very source dependent because any output impedance is significant compared to the impedance of the IEM. The flat tuning also means that you quickly notice the character of your source's tuning. The best way I can find to describe them is based on Akros' youtube review of this set, which is to say that they sound like I've strapped my set of KEF iQ90 to the sides of my head. They get so loud, but they're so clear and the tuning is so clever that you can push these to volumes that you'd never dream to push other IEMs to, because the treble isn't boosted.

The detriments: nothing in life is perfect, and neither are these IEMs. You do sometimes miss the bass gain from most IEMs, particularly for songs with strong, thumping sub-bass and bass tracks. You'll definitely hear them, but they aren't as impactful as they might be on another set. There's also the details to consider: these may not be the most resolving IEMs out there, and for their price, I can't fault them for that. But they can pull out so many tiny little details that I never noticed in tracks that I've listened to time and time again, that it can sometimes be overwhelming how much information they're pumping into your head. Then there is the volume. These things are just too sensitive sometimes. I connected them to an Ikko Arc bluetooth neckband on loan from a friend of mine until my replacement FiiO LC-BTR2 arrives with its adapters, and the power on and bluetooth link tones nearly deafened me. They definitely weren't supposed to seem loud or obtrusive, but they absolutely were with the GD7B. You also begin to develop a complex about checking the volume of your sources before you press play on things, because these things can just get so overwhelmingly loud.

Observations:
These are actually sealed IEMs with no venting on the shell despite being hybrids with a dynamic driver to deal with. From what I can determine, the DD vents into the hollow cavity of the shell. Because of this, these things isolate the best of any IEM I've worn and compete favorably against headsets with active noise cancellation once you start listening to anything on them. These IEMs also suffer a similar fate to many of the all-resin IEMs in that their nozzle doesn't always like to hold onto aftermarket tips, so your success may be sadly limited when it comes to tip rolling unless you're willing to take some unorthodox countermeasures. In my case, I used some incredibly thin fabric tape intended for wiring harness wrapping and put a layer of that on the nozzle to improve the grip so my Monster Audio Supertips Gel eartips would actually stay on and not get left in my ears.

Some tracks for you to listen to:

This track starts off with marimba and bells, which sound incredibly realistic, then moves into the rich slight rasp of a double bass. The strings and chimes have an attractive brightness to them that isn't piercing. Then everything shifts to a more modern bassline which does feel rich and provides a satisfying thump to back the strings and other effects. It's one of my favorite demo songs because it just goes everywhere.

A friend recommended I demo with this song as well, since it has a rather interesting opening drumline and he was absolutely correct. The drums have good depth and you can tell they've been damped by their short decay and slightly hollow sound. The electric guitars are clear and really have that grunge pedal effect. The different cymbals have a very realistic decay and you can easily differentiate between them.

Another interesting song a friend turned me onto years ago. It opens with a rather strained sounding high note that continues on into the background of the opening. The plucking sound of the opening is incredibly faint and lesser sets will miss it.

I like this one because it manages to achieve both an airy presentation where it is appropriate, but the deep bassline also makes it seem closed in and suffocating, as if you're being squeezed. The vocals are clear and pleasant, but seem to transition from the singer being close to being further away, as though they're moving to and from the listener. It's interesting. Surprisingly, despite this song's heavy reliance on a synthesized heavy bassline, I'm not really missing an elevated bass gain in this set.

I love the marimba and kalimba in the opening of this song, along with the water dripping effect. The use of cymbals is extremely well rendered and everything sounds so natural, it's incredible. You can actually hear the slightly metallic plunk sound that's so indicative of the kalimba being played and the marimba has that warm, wooden hollowness.

And, of course, who could forget Metallica? The intro to this one is also amazing on this set. You can clearly hear the crisp resonance from the steel strings. The bass guitar sounds warm and rounds out the experience. The male vocals are pleasantly rendered. The cymbals are well resolved.

Another favorite demo track of mine, from a relatively obscure documentary movie made by Disney. I like this track mostly because of the reed flap from the bassoon in the intro that lesser IEMs aren't able to fully resolve. If you listen closely, you can even hear the key actuations on the bassoon. The triangle is delicately rendered in the background, as are the chimes when they're used. The plucked strings sound very realistic, as does the rainstick.

Pictures:
ae_1624743248156.jpg

I love the chatoyance of the wood grain of these faceplates. "But these don't look like the pictures in the listing!" You might say. No, they don't. I requested the shell resin color and faceplate from the SD3 set instead, because I preferred it over the white over blue chrome Ginko leaf pattern that the GD7B comes with by default. If you want to see what those look like, check out Akron's video from the link earlier in this review.
ae_1624743277143.jpg

Here you get to see the three sets of coupled BAs they've used.
ae_1624743290454.jpg

Another driver shot, this time with the DD being seen installed sideways in the wing of the shell. This DD certainly reaches low despite being in a sealed enclosure. The tips shown are the Sony Triple Comfort foam dome tips. I can't really recommend those for this set, because they don't like to stay installed and they partially obscure some of the sound tubes, muffling them more than is necessary or beneficial.
ae_1624743320918.jpg

Speaking of sound tubes, this one's got four of them. One for the DD, and a separate one for each of the coupled BA units.

Edit: I've been doing some tinkering and decided to try out some of the AutoEQ profiles for the Fearless Audio Tequila on these things, since they're so very similar in their graphs. I've attached the .txt version of the file for the one I've found works for my preferences, though it may be quite a bit more bass-boosted than most would prefer. You can try importing it on EqualizerAPO w/ Peace UI. The default pre-amp gain is -6.9, I think, but you can always change that later.

Attachments

• GD7B-mndless.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 1,414
This gona be a long thread with 26 iems not encounting those with ESTs coming!😁~ ( if reviews are positive )

Jun 29, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 1,414
This gona be a long thread with 26 iems not encounting those with ESTs coming!😁~ ( if reviews are positive )
I'm thrilled to be along for the ride, especially with the GD7B as my initial foray into the brand. It's the first one they listed and, really, I think they came out swinging. For me, at least, they're a dead ringer. It should be quite a fun time seeing where they go.

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 1,414
Will like to know more about all models 😀
I'm hoping that this thread will get some traction and people will post their impressions of them here as they arrive. The GD3A certainly looks promising as a challenger for a lot of entry-level IEMs at $86 with a mild V-shaped tuning and a bit of treble rolloff for comfort. I expect a lot of people may be getting on chat with their reps to request a different shell or faceplate design, as the default shell for it isn't quite as handsome as some of their other offerings. I'm planning on picking one up whenever they drop their tribrid as a cheaper set to beat about with.

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 1,414
GS Audio said they will upload their Tribid EST on AE today

Jul 1, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #9 of 1,414
Jul 1, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #11 of 1,414
GS Audio said they will upload their Tribid EST on AE today
They told me they have uploaded them now, only need Ali to check them before they are finally listed.

Jul 1, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #12 of 1,414
It wont be long now, I expect I will get my package next week!
Its already in sweden now, just gotta be released from customs....

Jul 2, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 1,414
4 SE models now on ali

Jul 2, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #14 of 1,414
I'm looking at their graph and I like none of them and they're quite expensive...

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #15 of 1,414
Se5:
SmartSelect_20210702-130044_AliExpress.jpg

Se8:
SmartSelect_20210702-130102_AliExpress.jpg

Se11:
SmartSelect_20210702-130118_AliExpress.jpg

Se12:
SmartSelect_20210702-130137_AliExpress.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back