Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #17 of 1,044
I have anxiously been looking out for a serious DAC that uses the new AK4499EX + AK4191 AKM chip combination, separating the digital and analog DAC parts. The A26 even does it dual mono (2x AK4499EX). And with the addition of the LAN streaming option, I could not resist and ordered one.

For reference: I am now using an Audio-GD R8HE Mk2 (R2R) + DI20HE in parallel with a Merging Hapi (D/S) with Ravenna.
Just curious what are you looking for in the a26 that you in the AGD r8he mk2/DI20he combo is lacking? Always thought AGD newer models are pretty potent

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #19 of 1,044
Just curious what are you looking for in the a26 that you in the AGD r8he mk2/DI20he combo is lacking? Always thought AGD newer models are pretty potent
As said: apart from curiosity for the new DAC chip combo, the streaming option. However I already noticed that, although the direct LAN input sounds very good, connecting I2S from a DI20HE sounds even better. For now no further comparisons as more time is needed for that.

Jan 3, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #20 of 1,044
As said: apart from curiosity for the new DAC chip combo, the streaming option. However I already noticed that, although the direct LAN input sounds very good, connecting I2S from a DI20HE sounds even better. For now no further comparisons as more time is needed for that.
No more questions from me on SQ until you are ready but which I2S cable are you using?

Jan 3, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #21 of 1,044
While the x26 pro is amazing in its own right, I don't think any of the first 4499ex dacs will be too great since everyone will have very little experience with its implementation. The original x26 wasn't great IIRC. I think later this year or in 2024 we will start to see what the 4499ex can really do once people figure out its quirks and the best way to implement it.

I really do hope someone figures out a way to make the new AK shine. I feel like R2R has been making more strides and improvements than D/S has. But I partly blame that on the fire AK had and ESS being lazy with making any kind of improvements. The 9039 doesn't look like much of an upgrade at all, the AK at least is trying to do something different which I can appreciate if successful.
Every new Ess sabre chip was a major improvement.
Have you worked on any of these chips?

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #22 of 1,044
Do you mean di20he I2S yo a26? Hope you can post head to head camparo between AGD R8heMK2/DI20He and Di20He/guatardA26 later when ready. Thanks in advance.

Jan 4, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #28 of 1,044
Does anyone know whether the Gustard .26 series DACs have a fuse inside? And how to open the lid?
There's a fuse inside, and some R26 owners already tried some fuses.
I ordered today an Acme fuse that some recommend, but did not check yet how to change the fuse.

Jan 4, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #29 of 1,044
There's a fuse inside, and some R26 owners already tried some fuses.
I ordered today an Acme fuse that some recommend, but did not check yet how to change the fuse.

The A26 has the fuse outside, next to the AC inlet. It is a T2.5A 5x20mm one. I was lucky to find an SR Purple with those specs and put it in. Immediately noticeable :)

Jan 4, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #30 of 1,044
The A26 has the fuse outside, next to the AC inlet. It is a T2.5A 5x20mm one. I was lucky to find an SR Purple with those specs and put it in. Immediately noticeable :)
Pretty handy finding a SR Purple! I have been waiting to sell my Denafrips Ares and opticalRendu before purchasing another DAC. Just sold today. Now I need to decide between an A26 or the R26. Good problem to have I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back