Gustard H16
Oct 15, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #181 of 193
That's why I was scratching my head -- but I've seen multiple places with pictures clearing showing balanced on that 3.5mm output and spec it as 3.5mm balanced, including Shenzen Audio:

Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 6.41.12 PM.png
You're absolutely right. I have the manual open and it clearly references "Balance 3.5pro." I have no idea what that is.

I don't have any 4.4mm pentacon cables, and definitely don't have "Balance 3.5 pro," whatever that is. I only used the 4-pin balanced output.

Truly weird. Maybe there's a parallel universe where a 3.5mm single ended cable can carry a balanced signal w/o blowing up the amp or headphone?

Oct 15, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #182 of 193
You're absolutely right. I have the manual open and it clearly references "Balance 3.5pro." I have no idea what that is.

I don't have any 4.4mm pentacon cables, and definitely don't have "Balance 3.5 pro," whatever that is. I only used the 4-pin balanced output.

Truly weird. Maybe there's a parallel universe where a 3.5mm single ended cable can carry a balanced signal w/o blowing up the amp or headphone?
I think I remember very vaguely there being some very brief attempt to create a 3.5mm balanced plug / jack but it was very short-lived and no one really adopted it -- but I'm not even 100% certain if that's a real thing or a figment of my imagination, lol -- but before 4.4mm really took off, there were competing standards, if I remember correctly, for a more portable balanced connection since 4-pin XLR (which I actually like a lot for desktop usage) is rather bulky and not great for portable connections -- and so Astell & Kern popularized 2.5mm balanced jacks on their DAPs and so a few cable makers started doing 2.5mm balanced terminations matching their configuration and I still have some 2.5mm balanced jacks on portable gear (iFi xCAN, xDuoo X20 DAP) and weirdly, my desktop DAC/amp Questyle CMA-400i also sports a 2.5mm balanced jack.

But the H16 seems rather newish (as in even past when 2.5mm balanced was going out of style, witness the 4.4mm jack the H16 has( and so seeing a purported "3.5mm balanced" jack on a desktop amp that's not old is very strange and I wonder if that's really just a 3.5mm single-ended normal jack mislabeled?

Oct 15, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #183 of 193
I think I remember very vaguely there being some very brief attempt to create a 3.5mm balanced plug / jack but it was very short-lived and no one really adopted it -- but I'm not even 100% certain if that's a real thing or a figment of my imagination, lol -- but before 4.4mm really took off, there were competing standards, if I remember correctly, for a more portable balanced connection since 4-pin XLR (which I actually like a lot for desktop usage) is rather bulky and not great for portable connections -- and so Astell & Kern popularized 2.5mm balanced jacks on their DAPs and so a few cable makers started doing 2.5mm balanced terminations matching their configuration and I still have some 2.5mm balanced jacks on portable gear (iFi xCAN, xDuoo X20 DAP) and weirdly, my desktop DAC/amp Questyle CMA-400i also sports a 2.5mm balanced jack.

But the H16 seems rather newish (as in even past when 2.5mm balanced was going out of style, witness the 4.4mm jack the H16 has( and so seeing a purported "3.5mm balanced" jack on a desktop amp that's not old is very strange and I wonder if that's really just a 3.5mm single-ended normal jack mislabeled?
There's only one way to find out: plug a 3.5mm cable jack in and pray the amp & headphone don't melt down.

(I'll leave that experience to someone else!)

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #184 of 193
There's only one way to find out: plug a 3.5mm cable jack in and pray the amp & headphone don't melt down.

(I'll leave that experience to someone else!)
Yeah, don't try that :wink: It is indeed balanced. Have not seen any uptake on the standard in the west, but it was not uncommon in China upon release.

I have this amp matched to the short-lived A18 DAC with a single AK4499 chip. Don't see the need to ever upgrade either.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #185 of 193
Yeah, don't try that :wink: It is indeed balanced. Have not seen any uptake on the standard in the west, but it was not uncommon in China upon release.

I have this amp matched to the short-lived A18 DAC with a single AK4499 chip. Don't see the need to ever upgrade either.
Hi, I have 3 smaller DACs, one portable and two desktop, and they all have the 4.4 mm balanced socket out to an amp or headphones. Note the balanced plug for these needs to be a TRRS style so you will have 3 black stripes in the plug head. This is to separate the plug into the 4 sections needed for the balanced signal. I looked online and there are numerous 3.5 mm TRRS balanced as well. Seems to me it should be standardized to one size but then these companies wouldn’t sell as many cables/adapters etc so it’s just big business doing it’s thing.

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #186 of 193
Is that correct that the Gustard H16 offers more musicality than a Topping A70Pro? So it is better for planars which are a bit brighter like the Hifimans? I am actually looking for a very good dac+amp which is not too expensive. I see 3 options:

Smsl D6s+Topping A70Pro
Smsl D6s+Gustard H16
Aune S9c Pro

What do you think is the best choice? Maybe Nr. 2 or 3.

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #187 of 193
Is that correct that the Gustard H16 offers more musicality than a Topping A70Pro? So it is better for planars which are a bit brighter like the Hifimans? I am actually looking for a very good dac+amp which is not too expensive. I see 3 options:

Smsl D6s+Topping A70Pro
Smsl D6s+Gustard H16
Aune S9c Pro

What do you think is the best choice? Maybe Nr. 2 or 3.
Hi Nexus One, I have the A70 running my Hifiman HE 1000 Stealth. Sounds great. This amp has the most power of the 3 and it’s very quiet. Read the reviews on ASR or Soundnews.
I have no problem recommending this. I am not familiar with the Gustard line, but they’re supposed to be good. Bottom line is the Hifiman sings well with a lot of clean power, so any of your combos above should work.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #188 of 193
Was just wondering if this has any hissing issues with iems (not very sensitive)

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #189 of 193
Was just wondering if this has any hissing issues with iems (not very sensitive)
No hiss with the sensitive IEMs that have a problem with some of my other amps. I do find the volume steps restrictive with IEMs on the H16 though, I rarely get past 5 which I find annoying, not that there are any channel balance issues as you might get with a rotary potentiometer

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #190 of 193
No hiss with the sensitive IEMs that have a problem with some of my other amps. I do find the volume steps restrictive with IEMs on the H16 though, I rarely get past 5 which I find annoying, not that there are any channel balance issues as you might get with a rotary potentiometer
Thanks for the reply. It would help if the source has a pre-amp of sorts then

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #191 of 193
Yes, if you want to use this with IEMs, some way of lowering the gain would be useful. Maybe using the RCA inputs would be better than the XLR I'm using. I tend to listen to IEMs with portable gear, and my H16 is for circumaural headphones and active speakers, so it's not a problem I've been bothered to try to solve.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #192 of 193
low gain
Dunu Falcon Ultra
IMG_20240220_135637.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back