Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 24, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #4,231 of 4,588
Interesting. Which do you prefer more, the mimby or the 4490 Bifrost? Can you care to share some impressions between the 2? I've had the topping d50s (sold it now) which is one of the better delta sigma dacs i've heard and even on that, I felt it sounded a bit tame and dull especially compared to the modi multibit.
I like both. Hard for me to put into words, maybe if I was a professional reviewer it would be easier. The Bifrost 4490 has a more expansive soundstage for me. The vocals seem to me to a little more forward, very natural sounding. Although the Modi mb handles the vocals well too, just different. It's kind of like with the 4490 I'm back on row three and with the little Modi mb I'm on the stage. With the 4490 I can close my eyes and picture a turntable playing a record, it had a very smooth analog presentation. That's not to say the Modi mb has a harsh digital sound to me. It's very dynamic. I dont find the Bifrost 4490 tame or dull. I really like both for different reasons.

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #4,232 of 4,588
Interesting. Which do you prefer more, the mimby or the 4490 Bifrost? Can you care to share some impressions between the 2? I've had the topping d50s (sold it now) which is one of the better delta sigma dacs i've heard and even on that, I felt it sounded a bit tame and dull especially compared to the modi multibit.
Just a follow up from my previous response. I was listening to Tumbling Dice off the Voodoo Lounge Uncut set, excellent live recording. First with the Mimby then with the Bifrost 4490. The sound was so close if I didn't know which one was which I dont know if I could have picked them out. Maybe the Mimby was a little more dynamic. Crazy!

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #4,233 of 4,588
thanks for the impressions. yeah the mimby is much more dynamic to me as well. its just even though its the warmer dac, on some occasions I tend to get tired / fatigued from the mimby. Im not sure if its because of the inaudible distortion / low SINAD or something else (like bad USB). But yes, I do agree the delta sigma dacs sound more relaxing. The mimby keeps me on the edge of my seat sometimes.

Mar 4, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #4,234 of 4,588
Ok heres the deal...I had a modi multibit v1 paired with a magni 3 and I didnt like the combo. I was using AKG K7xx headphones and while I could tell there was good sounds there everything sounded too far away..like all of the music was in the background...distant. I then added an eitr to try to make it better and it did make the sound better and it brought the presentation in a bit but it was still too distant for me. So I basically sold everything aside from the headphones.

Still though Im trying to figure out what was actually causing this because I dont want to give the modi multibit an unfair shake because lots of people seem to like it and I didnt....was it the v1 Modi? Is the v2 better i that regard? Was it actually the Magni 3? I wold think not really because if people complain about the Magni series they usually complain about them being too bright..too forward... then the last possibility my headphones? Are those just a crappy pairing with the AKGs.

Anyone have any ideas? I would love to be able to "cheap" out and get another mimby instead of eventually having to put out 700 for a B2. Another option is a D/S modi, I know Mike says D/S sounds like "ass", but I know someone likes it. OR another DAC out there not made by JDS, Topping or AGD.....I dont know SDAC maybe...

Mar 4, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #4,235 of 4,588
Ok heres the deal...I had a modi multibit v1 paired with a magni 3 and I didnt like the combo. I was using AKG K7xx headphones and while I could tell there was good sounds there everything sounded too far away..like all of the music was in the background...distant. I then added an eitr to try to make it better and it did make the sound better and it brought the presentation in a bit but it was still too distant for me. So I basically sold everything aside from the headphones.

Still though Im trying to figure out what was actually causing this because I dont want to give the modi multibit an unfair shake because lots of people seem to like it and I didnt....was it the v1 Modi? Is the v2 better i that regard? Was it actually the Magni 3? I wold think not really because if people complain about the Magni series they usually complain about them being too bright..too forward... then the last possibility my headphones? Are those just a crappy pairing with the AKGs.

Anyone have any ideas? I would love to be able to "cheap" out and get another mimby instead of eventually having to put out 700 for a B2. Another option is a D/S modi, I know Mike says D/S sounds like "ass", but I know someone likes it. OR another DAC out there not made by JDS, Topping or AGD.....I dont know SDAC maybe...

Have you tried different headphones with your setup? I have the Modi MB and it sounds terrific with my my Senn headphones (HD650, HD6XX, HD58X & HD598). I had the AKG K7XX and liked the wide soundscape but I didn’t care for the distant sound. I ended up selling them.

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #4,236 of 4,588
Have you tried different headphones with your setup? I have the Modi MB and it sounds terrific with my my Senn headphones (HD650, HD6XX, HD58X & HD598). I had the AKG K7XX and liked the wide soundscape but I didn’t care for the distant sound. I ended up selling them.

I tried the Th-X00s too but I honestly cant remember how they sounded...better, great bass, fantastic bass..but the fit on them was so bad and they are so finicky on my head I found myself constantly fighting with the headphones to get them to sound good...so overall they weren't a great experience. I honestly cant remember if they fixed the sound stage issue, Im going to assume no because I still sold everything and the x00s got put on the shelf. It was a while ago and then I lost my job so remembering that far back is tough since you could imagine thinking about my headphone setup was petty far down the priority list...jobs fixed now though so were good to get more gear.....

Other than that that was all I had handy. So maybe my intuition is right and I just probably dont like the AKGs all that much and Ive actually wanted to replace them for a while now, The thing is I cant find a suitable replacement......

The first obvious choice would be some hd650/6xxs but every time I get ready to pull the trigger on a set I read about how they are a bit bass light and I just cant do that. Yes the AKGs arent known to be bass cannons either but that bump massdrop built into them really helps out and makes the bass quality and quantity at least acceptable and I know it would be for me with so say like a k701....

Anything else i the 2 to 3 hundred dollar range that has good bass without all the mids sucked out of them ? Im thinking maybe some ZMF classics if I can find a pair, Im definitely open to suggestions...ive have a ton of nervosa with headphones. I mean Ive been all over the spectrum from considering 150 dollar 58xs to 900 dollar ZMFs...though the ZMFs are more a dream than anything else, I really hope I can find something close to what I want for less......

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #4,237 of 4,588
I tried the Th-X00s too but I honestly cant remember how they sounded...better, great bass, fantastic bass..but the fit on them was so bad and they are so finicky on my head I found myself constantly fighting with the headphones to get them to sound good...so overall they weren't a great experience. I honestly cant remember if they fixed the sound stage issue, Im going to assume no because I still sold everything and the x00s got put on the shelf. It was a while ago and then I lost my job so remembering that far back is tough since you could imagine thinking about my headphone setup was petty far down the priority list...jobs fixed now though so were good to get more gear.....

Other than that that was all I had handy. So maybe my intuition is right and I just probably dont like the AKGs all that much and Ive actually wanted to replace them for a while now, The thing is I cant find a suitable replacement......

The first obvious choice would be some hd650/6xxs but every time I get ready to pull the trigger on a set I read about how they are a bit bass light and I just cant do that. Yes the AKGs arent known to be bass cannons either but that bump massdrop built into them really helps out and makes the bass quality and quantity at least acceptable and I know it would be for me with so say like a k701....

Anything else i the 2 to 3 hundred dollar range that has good bass without all the mids sucked out of them ? Im thinking maybe some ZMF classics if I can find a pair, Im definitely open to suggestions...ive have a ton of nervosa with headphones. I mean Ive been all over the spectrum from considering 150 dollar 58xs to 900 dollar ZMFs...though the ZMFs are more a dream than anything else, I really hope I can find something close to what I want for less......
The HD58X are hard to beat for $150 and they have a bit more bass than the HD6XX.

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #4,239 of 4,588
well interestingly enough I found my Modi multibit...I honestly thought I sold it. I have to send back my eitr that Ive been meaning to because I think the usb chip is dead in it, So ill email schiit and have them take a look at the modi too and update it to the newest firmware chip and then see if that makes any difference. Worth a shot I suppose....Then at the very least if I still dont like It I can sell it with the newest chip in it. Now I remember when I was trying to sell it last year it was right when they started coming out wit the newer one and no one wanted to give me anything for a v1 multibit. It was also before Schiit would actually update the chips in them, so I must have put it on the shelf, tried to take care of some life stuff and forgot about it.

Mar 18, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #4,240 of 4,588
Ok heres the deal...I had a modi multibit v1 paired with a magni 3 and I didnt like the combo. I was using AKG K7xx headphones and while I could tell there was good sounds there everything sounded too far away..like all of the music was in the background...distant. I then added an eitr to try to make it better and it did make the sound better and it brought the presentation in a bit but it was still too distant for me. So I basically sold everything aside from the headphones. Still though Im trying to figure out what was actually causing this because I dont want to give the modi multibit an unfair shake because lots of people seem to like it and I didnt....was it the v1 Modi? Is the v2 better i that regard? Was it actually the Magni 3? I wold think not really because if people complain about the Magni series they usually complain about them being too bright..too forward... then the last possibility my headphones? Are those just a crappy pairing with the AKGs. Anyone have any ideas? I would love to be able to "cheap" out and get another mimby instead of eventually having to put out 700 for a B2. Another option is a D/S modi, I know Mike says D/S sounds like "ass", but I know someone likes it. OR another DAC out there not made by JDS, Topping or AGD.....I dont know SDAC maybe...

I've had a couple of dacs (Topping d30, d50s, modi 3, modi multibit) and I am certain the Modi Multibit is the most upfront sounding of them all. D/S dacs are even more distant & even sounding (especially d50s). As suggested by others, try different headphones. I never tried the dacs on headphones since I only use speakers.

Mar 18, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #4,241 of 4,588
Im going to give the HD6xxs a try when I can find a good price on some or I may just get some from massdrop. Ive wanted to try them but I haven't up until now because they may not have enough bass for my liking but even if thats the case I should hear them for comparisons sake and they should be easy enough to offload if I dont like them.

Mar 23, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #4,242 of 4,588
Im going to give the HD6xxs a try when I can find a good price on some or I may just get some from massdrop. Ive wanted to try them but I haven't up until now because they may not have enough bass for my liking but even if thats the case I should hear them for comparisons sake and they should be easy enough to offload if I dont like them.

The HD6xx will be nearly a polar opposite of the K7xx. It has a much small and more intimate sound stage plus it has some seriously rolled off treble.

Mar 23, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #4,243 of 4,588
The HD6xx will be nearly a polar opposite of the K7xx. It has a much small and more intimate sound stage plus it has some seriously rolled off treble.

Yes and thats more or less exactly what I am looking for. The only concern that I have wit the Senns is the potential lack of bass and if the even have a little more than the AKGs it should be acceptable.

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #4,244 of 4,588
Yes and thats more or less exactly what I am looking for. The only concern that I have wit the Senns is the potential lack of bass and if the even have a little more than the AKGs it should be acceptable.
The HD6xx has a boosted muddy mid bass compared to the K7xx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back