HD 485 sound after burn-in
Apr 4, 2006 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Von Soundcard

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, since my other post wasn't fully ontopic, I've decided to post a new thread with a more general approach. I am interested in how does this pair of cans' sound modify after a full burn-in, particularly regarding the highs. I have listened to them in a shop and I generaly like their sound with electronic and other modern genres, except for the highs which are too laid back and uninvolving for my taste (though not by far). Since I couldn't find any relevant experiences on the subject searching the forum I thought I should ask up front. Well what do you think ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.

Apr 4, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 10
I posted on your other thread, but i figure I'll add my thoughts again
eggosmile.gif

I don't know how long the 485's take for a full burn in, but I've had these going for about 40hours now. The sound hasn't changed much. Things are a bit more balanced, but the mid/high's are still very laid back/veiled. Most Rock is still very boring and non-engaging compared to the Grado SR60s.

However, on the other hand, my ears have started to become used to the mellow sound and I'm starting to like it. It's still a bit too mellow, but the mellowness has the benefit of not causing any listening fatigue. Nevertheless I still plan on returning these and picking up a pair of 555's to see if I like those any better.

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 10
I totally agree with santiu. I basically experienced the same thing as he does.

The HD555 might not be a solution for you for more exciting sound. I think the HD595 is one of the most forward sounding Sennheisers with unveiled highs, so you might want to consider it. Just my thoughts
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 10
I've heard both the 555 and the 595, the 555 is a good all-rounder at a decent cost yet doesn't have anything special, and the 595 while sounding beautifully, faithfull to the origial yet brilliant and warm, does not even remotely suit the genres considered by me: trance, dance, electronical, new age, ambiental, some rap... you get the picture
smily_headphones1.gif
So I have decided to buy two cans, one for synthesised music like the above and one for traditional and classical sound (be it modern or of old
smily_headphones1.gif
); the 485 fitted the profile like a glove, just that the highs were a bit too shy, 'uninvolving' even for this (sometimes) heavily pre-EQ-ed music. The mids are allright, perhaps a bit harsh at times, yet the highs don't 'shine through', not in par with the rest of the lot.
Well, I'll still probably go with them, but if anyone has better news, by all means share it with us
orphsmile.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 10
Wow, your experience match mine a lot
smily_headphones1.gif
. I sold the HD595 because of the same complaints. The best cans for trance, dance, electronical, new age, ambiental, some rap I've heard is my DT990 pro or many people says the DT770. Nice involving highs with powerful bass.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 10
I have one more question for the experts in groovy headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
Has anyone done a side by side comparison between the AKG K240s and the Senn HD 485 ? I am again more interested in the highs but also in the other departments; I heard the 240's highs were also rolled back, but how do they actually compare to the Senns ? Thanks.

Apr 11, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Soundcard
Any opinions would be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got one order for use in my office with an SR-71, and maybe the future Headfive. Does anyone else want to comment on this headphone? Would my Raptor melt it
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 10
The big secret to the 485's is to use a little EQ on them (I know, EQ is a dirty word) try a little EQ and they are fantastic headphones.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 10
When I first got my 485's, I thought they where a little treble shy, or uninvolving too.. I dont know If the headphones changed or if its just me. But I now find them to be perfect, 300+ hours later. I may have slighty adjusted my taste though, because the treble dial on my amp which used to be +4 now sits at 0. Anyways, I think they have more emphisis on bass then treble, but for me thats perfect.

Oh, I should however add, that they do respond really well to EQ, when I first got them, I turned the treble up a bit to make up for it, and they sounded wonderfull to me, no sibilince or harshness. But ive slowly turned it down, trying to get a more ballanced sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back