HD 800 Ordering in the UK
Mar 18, 2009 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Lee Brindley

100+ Head-Fier
Hey

Im one of those caught in the trap of having/wanting to order a pair of HD800 from a US dealer i already have a prior relationship with - in my case ive bought stuff from Drew, Tyll and Todd - all of whom have said that they cant supply HD 800 outside of the US.

Hah humbug.

Anyone in the UK got any or oder - if so with who and any idea on delivery and what allocation your dealer or any others might be getting????

What i dont want to do is place an order with a UK dealer who is so far down the pecking order that ill be waitinig 2 yrs !

Any help - really appreciated.

Cheers

Lee

PS - is the cable a plug in affair like the AKG702 ?

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 21
If you have a mate or good connection in the US, you could have the phones delivered to him and then forwarded to you.

Yep, plug in affair like K702

My Japanese audio dealers have zero information on the HD800s here. Ughh.

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 21
You are much better off getting it from UK dealer as price is the same here as over the States and most importantly NO import tax!! Also there is the issue of warranty... There are dealers that take pre-order - ask John for the latest list of dealers near you.

As for allocation etc, no idea - first come first serve scenario?? I pre-ordered sometime ago so I am on the first batch and hopefully get it mid April.

As for the cable, it has 2 plugs which you can easily unplugged. There are already replacement cables for sale from the likes of Equonix etc.

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 21
Country-wide, Audio-T are probably the best bet. In Surrey I think probably also Unilet in New Malden.

As far as I know, delivery priority will be given to dealers who have pre-orders.

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 21
why would anyone in their right mind risk having something as expensive as that sent overseas as a low value item? - when if it goes wrong, you are out of pocket by a full hd800's worth!?! because it wasnt insured to the correct level for any recompense

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 21
Anything over £35 for gift is liable to tax. And something quite big like HD800 from the States is most likely to be checked & taxed. UK custom charge can be very high, I have been hit 30% on goods + p&p for ebay item from US which I think frankly is day light robbery....

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #10 of 21
tell me about it, i have paid approx £1200 to parcelfarce in customs over the last ten years or so

all because the items were sent with the correct price attributed. ok, its cost me a lot over a hell of alot of expensive overseas purchases, but one of those items going missing could have been nasty had i tried to skimp, hence i just take it into account now, on any purchase. build it in.

however i still dont understand the need to import hd800 from US to the uk, as isnt it the same price whichever way you cut it? in fact it will most likely be more expensive with taxes

just order it from one of the many vendors in the uk.

or am i missing something blidingly obvious as to a benefit here?
confused.gif
if so tell me and i will switch also
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tell me about it, i have paid approx £1200 to parcelfarce in customs over the last ten years or so

all because the items were sent with the correct price attributed. ok, its cost me a lot over a hell of alot of expensive overseas purchases, but one of those items going missing could have been nasty had i tried to skimp, hence i just take it into account now, on any purchase. build it in.

however i still dont understand the need to import hd800 from U to the uk, as isnt it the same price whichever way you cut it? in fact it will most likely be more expensive with taxes

just order it from one of the many vendors in the uk.

or am i missing something blindingly obvious as to a benefit here?
confused.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Correct - the UK price is the same as the US price - but if you import from the USA it will be a lot more expensive as you will be stuffed with import duty and VAT as well as carriage costs.

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything over £35 for gift is liable to tax. And something quite big like HD800 from the States is most likely to be checked & taxed. UK custom charge can be very high, I have been hit 30% on goods + p&p for ebay item from US which I think frankly is day light robbery....

Smuggle the HD-800.[size=xx-small]up your bottom[/size]
wink_face.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or am i missing something blidingly obvious as to a benefit here?
confused.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Yes the price is now similar taking the current poor exchange rate into account. So why would I prefer to buy from the US - simple - SERVICE.

I have bought stuff from the guys i mentioned at the start, Drew - Tyll - Todd, and the service is always first rate. Confirmed delivery date, no bull&^it, always bang on as stated.

UK dealers (generally....) tend to piss about with wishy washy dates, dont send when they say, never keep you informed - and generally offer a 2nd rate service in comparison.

Example - one of the dealers mentioned (and not Unilet who i bought my Chordette Gem from and who were really ok - big cheer for David), is proof. Casually browsing in one of their shops, clearly looking for someone to communicate to - man in shop behind counter spends 15 mins on the phone to a mate talking about his night out - then casually saunters over after he'd gone through all the beers they drank, girls they saw, etc etc - and then asked if i needed help !

Similarly, the same chain - i made a telephone enquiry about this very product we are talking about - you give them the speech...serious headphone user - have GS1000, D5000, AKG702 use a Woo WA5LE - i.e. a lot of doh spent....want to buy HD800 - pay money, get on list, get del date, etc etc. Had no idea about all the stuff i mentioned and never phoned me back anyway!

So in this world of recession and being a serious customer, UK dealers mainly cannot be arsed to take a simple order or give you any service. Similarly several emails went out weeks ago to other dealers about the HD800 - no replies.

So given this you wonder why i prefer to deal with Moon/Headroom and TTVJ.

It was never about saving money - it was about being treated like a valued customer and getting some service ! Im picky about who gets my hard earned cash! There ya go.

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Country-wide, Audio-T are probably the best bet. In Surrey I think probably also Unilet in New Malden.

!!! Will they have one to demo? I am around this area quite often!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back