HE-400, Q701, something else, and amps
Nov 5, 2012 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jmatushin

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've been using (read: lurking) head-fi for my recommendations for headphones, such as my DT770 Pro 80s, but now I'm looking for a pair of more detailed, more airy headphones and the general consensus is that there isn't one.

I've got a Headroom Total Bithead amp/dac and I'm looking for a solid desktop setup. I'm running FLAC and lossless files off of my desktop, through my Bithead, into my headphones, but I'm looking to get into the more powerful headphones so I know I'm going to need a desktop amp soon.

Here's the thing; I don't know if I should hit up the HE-400 or the Q/K70X series. I listen to pretty much everything, but my DT 770s can get me all the bass/rap/hiphop music satisfaction I need, so this is more for the indy/folk/classical genre set. Any recommendations between the two, or for a different pair would be spectacular. Additionally, if you could recommend a solid desktop amp in the sub $400 USD range, that'd be swell (preferably that pairs with my current cans and what you might recommend). 

Thanks guys. I'm excited to be here on the forums boards.

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 12
I've never heard the HE-400, but I'm liking my Q701 a lot. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 12
If you already have a solid bass-centric can that you like, I don't see the need for something like the HE-400. They'd just make the DT770 unnecessary, as they offer extension, impact and texture far beyond what the Beyers can achieve, all without being majorly emphasized. Q701s would be a good compliment to your DT770. They do the genres you mention quite well. Alternatively, you could get the HD600, with a slightly less anemic and possibly less polarizing sound, just to be safe.

For amps under $400, the Asgard, O2, Lyr, M^3, would be solid choices. Any preference for either SS or tubes?

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 12
Keep in mind that low-end is not the 701's strong point. TwinkQY is right though, the 400's would just replace your 770's (if you wanted to keep the 770's that is) while the 701's would be a nice contrast.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Keep in mind that low-end is not the 701's strong point. TwinkQY is right though, the 400's would just replace your 770's (if you wanted to keep the 770's that is) while the 701's would be a nice contrast.

I know it's just a spelling mistake, but I'm thinking right now, and you've just given me a great  idea for a new name change. 1) Twinkies are awesome. 2) Now there's a "wink" in the middle....
wink.gif
. 3) Twinkies are awesome.

Sorry, just my stomach talking. Carry on.
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Oops...I actually thought your name was a fancy spelling on Twinkie.

If I weren't eating Twinkies right now, I'd be so mad at that pic.

For my usernames, I usually just pick a random word, then add qy at the end. Who would know of the foreshadowing that ensued...

Great, now I'm on a suger high...Carry on.

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks guys, you all have good input. So if I get the 701s, which are tempting, what amp should I get with them? They're driving difficulty is practically legendary and all, so....

Otherwise, thanks guys. I really like the idea of the HE-400s, but if the 701s are a better fit for my specifications, then I'd definitely audition them first.

Additionally, is my Bithead a reasonable DAC for use with an Asgard or Lyr or something?

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 12
There's a huge thread somewhere here that got into a bit of debacle concerning the amping requirements on these. Is it about the power? About the voicing?. Ended up in a huge debate. In the end, all I can say is that they sound good out of the E17, they sound great out the Asgard, and they sound amazing out of the M^3. 

Not a lot of people have the Bithead nowadays, so hard to comment here. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 12
So where exactly would one go about purchasing the M3? I mean, I know it's AMB and all, but whereas Schiit or FiiO are easy to get on amazon, or even their own sites, I can't seem to figure out the AMB site. Suggestions?

Also, would the Asgard really power the Q701s? Or would I need to man up and get a Lyr (assuming I went the schiit route)?

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Hey guys, I've been using (read: lurking) head-fi for my recommendations for headphones, such as my DT770 Pro 80s, but now I'm looking for a pair of more detailed, more airy headphones and the general consensus is that there isn't one.

I've got a Headroom Total Bithead amp/dac and I'm looking for a solid desktop setup. I'm running FLAC and lossless files off of my desktop, through my Bithead, into my headphones, but I'm looking to get into the more powerful headphones so I know I'm going to need a desktop amp soon.

Here's the thing; I don't know if I should hit up the HE-400 or the Q/K70X series. I listen to pretty much everything, but my DT 770s can get me all the bass/rap/hiphop music satisfaction I need, so this is more for the indy/folk/classical genre set. Any recommendations between the two, or for a different pair would be spectacular. Additionally, if you could recommend a solid desktop amp in the sub $400 USD range, that'd be swell (preferably that pairs with my current cans and what you might recommend). 

Thanks guys. I'm excited to be here on the forums boards.

Heya,

I would suggest:

Hifiman HE-400
Hifiman HE-300
Ultrasone PRO 2900
AudioTechnica AD900
AKG Q701
Beyer DT880 PRO

I think an open headphone giving you some increased sound stage, and maybe a faster headphone to give you better separation, would likely give you the sound you're after. The HIfiman HE-400 really would be excellent here.

For a desktop amp, I would go as high as the Schiit Lyr if you can. Might as well now so that you're covered for virtually any headphone in your future.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back