HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
May 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #1,111 of 3,819
Additionally, majority of the files I am going to be using are FLAC 16 bit 44.1 kHz...I really don't have any music in anything higher since electronic is typically in those formats.

Also it should have good USB implementation. Although I can use coaxial from Mac or Marantz CD5004.

May 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #1,113 of 3,819
What a great thread!  I have been struggling with choosing between some headphones: HiFiman HE-6, HE-500, and Sennheiser HD 800.  One of the reasons I have balked over the HiFiman phones is the amping requirements.  I just didn't want to spend upwards of $1,300 on headphones and then have to go buy an expensive amp for them.  The HD 800 is a better match for my current amp, a Woo Audio WA2.  However, the Emotiva mini-X appears to provide an inexpensive path to the Hifiman HE-6 and HE-500.  It isn't out of the realm of possibility that I will end up with both the HD800 and HE-500.

Many thanks to MalVeauX for all of the trailblazing, and to everyone else who contributed.

--Jerome

May 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #1,114 of 3,819
Quote:
What a great thread!  I have been struggling with choosing between some headphones: HiFiman HE-6, HE-500, and Sennheiser HD 800.  One of the reasons I have balked over the HiFiman phones is the amping requirements.  I just didn't want to spend upwards of $1,300 on headphones and then have to go buy an expensive amp for them.  The HD 800 is a better match for my current amp, a Woo Audio WA2.  However, the Emotiva mini-X appears to provide an inexpensive path to the Hifiman HE-6 and HE-500.  It isn't out of the realm of possibility that I will end up with both the HD800 and HE-500.

Many thanks to MalVeauX for all of the trailblazing, and to everyone else who contributed.

--Jerome

I went the HE-6 route and didnt regret it although I have to settle with entry level amp (the Mini-X) and DAC (NFB 3.32) I still think the sound is marvelous. I dont have any comparison with a similarly priced HP though (only cheaper once) but I think it was the right choice, based on observations :)
Also have the opportunity to try the HE-6 with higher level equipment. Yeah there is improvement but not something that would make spend an extra grand for it...yet :)
Will update later with a more thorough comparison/impression
For now you can read about the basic setup (link in my sig)

May 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #1,115 of 3,819
What do I need to listen to my HD800s on this amp?
I have a balanced headphone cable w/ a1/4" adapter.

May 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,116 of 3,819
Quote:
What do I need to listen to my HD800s on this amp?
I have a balanced headphone cable w/ a1/4" adapter.

Just swap out the 1/4" adapter for a speaker terminal adapter.

May 14, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #1,118 of 3,819
Definitely keep it at zero until you plug in, and then and be careful turning it up -- go slowly! How much depends on how much power the amp has, and I don't have any experience with that particular amp. But it's not uncommon to drive the HE6 at 8-9:00 on the dial of a speaker amp.

May 14, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #1,119 of 3,819
Just received my HE 5 LE in the mail today. I have it hooked up to an Audiosource AMP-100 (50wpc), with an Audioengine D1 acting as DAC, going into my computer via USB. Oh, and I am connecting the HE 5 LE to the Audiosource amp using Hifiman's HE adapter. Sounds pretty nice! Although I don't have much to compare it to...I used a sennheiser hd 598 + audioengine d1 + schiit magni before, and the HE 5LE is a definite step up. I want to upgrade my DAC soon, and my speaker amp to the emotiva if it would make them sound better. I mean, I am getting sufficient bass for my needs, but again I have no real comparison, as I have not heard headphones of this price range for long periods of time, as I now get to with my 5 LE. I wonder if I would get better performance with the emotiva? Hmm...

Pics to come soon!

May 19, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,123 of 3,819
Now I have got myself a cable terminated in speaker taps. Anything I should be aware of when getting a speaker amp? I heard something about the amp should have a common ground or something. I am especially thinking about buying the Rega Brio R. Please explain someone...

May 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #1,124 of 3,819
Quote:
Now I have got myself a cable terminated in speaker taps. Anything I should be aware of when getting a speaker amp? I heard something about they should have a common ground or something. I am especially thinking about buying the Rega Brio R. Please explain someone...

Common/Shared ground is only needed if you're using a 1/4 TRS to banana/spades adapter

May 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #1,125 of 3,819
Thank you a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back