Head-fi.org is a disappointment!
Oct 25, 2010 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

classicalnut

New Head-Fier
I've posted two threads over the last several days seeking input from anyone with opinions or experience with the Meier audio stepdance combined with iPad or iPhone. So far, there are numerous views and zero responses. I've noticed other "newbie" posts have gone unanswered as well while other debates among experienced users seem to rage on like wild fire. Forgive me for being so snide about this but it seems like high school clicky bull crap all over again. What's the point of a public user forum if questions from new users are gonna go unanswered? Thanks for the warm welcome!

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 25
First, it's spelt clique. And second, there isn't any discrimination like that as far as I know. If the post warrants a reply or a discussion, you'll get one sooner or later.

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 25
Stepdance is a very new amp.

Have you considered that maybe no one has experience of it with an ipad or an iphone yet?

ETA:

There are lots of impressions of the stepdance already, and no reason to think that impression of it with any other digital audio player would not apply to an iphone or ipad.

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
Stepdance is a very new amp.

Have you considered that maybe no one has experience of it with an ipad or an iphone yet?

ETA:

There are lots of impressions of the stepdance already, and no reason to think that impression of it with any other digital audio player would not apply to an iphone or ipad.

Seems reasonable to me. I have never heard the amp but the iPhone is supposed to be an ok source so by deduction, since there are favorable reviews of the Stepdance, it should sound good. I would assume anyway. :^)

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:
I've posted two threads over the last several days seeking input from anyone with opinions or experience with the Meier audio stepdance combined with iPad or iPhone. So far, there are numerous views and zero responses. I've noticed other "newbie" posts have gone unanswered as well while other debates among experienced users seem to rage on like wild fire. Forgive me for being so snide about this but it seems like high school clicky bull crap all over again. What's the point of a public user forum if questions from new users are gonna go unanswered? Thanks for the warm welcome!

First, a number of us go through as many threads as possible each day to try to make sure everyone gets a response.

Yes, I saw and read your thread.

The reason I did not respond is that I have not heard the Stepdance.  Further, I don't know anyone who has heard the Stepdance, so I could not point you to a thread or a user you could PM.

Before you take a shot at the members here, maybe you should stop and consider whether anyone has heard what you're asking about.  Do not assume that everyone owns or has heard everything and is ignoring you.

Also, one of the unwritten rules here is that you're not supposed to talk about gear you haven't listened to.  So if no one responds, it's probably fair to say that the people who noticed your thread cannot give you a response.

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 25

Quote:

Well you are getting some response now. There are some great people around here. Sometimes you have to give it a little time. If you want to get frustrated come to the island where I am and try to get anything done fast, it ain't going to happen mate. It will all come around sooner or later. 

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Here lies the problem: You started two threads (three, including this one). Head-fi is a pretty big forum and plenty of users like you comes in and immediately started a new thread asking for advice. Nothing wrong with asking for advice, but you have to consider that there are may be a few dozens threads just like yours at any given moment and you can't expect everyone to answer to every threads like that. In fact, one of the main reason that turns most old forum members off is newbies starting new thread asking for advise - which happens on daily basis in big number. Even the most helpful of members will feel tired after repeating the same kind of answers multiple times.

So what is the right thing to do? Do your own research first, read as much as you can, if you still can't find the answer you are looking for, post in a well established thread that is related to what you are looking for. As you have noted, this is a public forum, so no one is required to help others nor anyone is more deserved to be helped. We post because we are enthusiastic about something. If you can't make others feel that you have done your homework before starting a thread, then you will be ignored. It has less to do with right or wrong, and more to do how to properly introduce yourself into a community.

Welcome to Head-fi, and sorry about your wallet. Haven't heard the StepDance so I can't really help you there.

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #10 of 25

Quote:

Answers and help from other users is a privilege not a right - especially in an open forum. Please keep that in mind when starting such a thread. Everybody hear writes during his/her spare time and could probably do other/more useful things... 

In this regard, blaming the other users for not answering your questions is just plain wrong!

Perhaps your question was boring? Perhaps the equipment is very new and nobody has listening experience with it? Perhaps you had just some bad luck? I DON'T KNOW. But most probably the answer to your question lies somewhere in one of those numerous discussion threads...

Lighten up and just keep reading.
smily_headphones1.gif

regards.
bearmann

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #11 of 25
Ditto on CieOS' point about researching heavily first and then asking questions in a well-established thread as opposed to starting new topic. I'm new to this forum too, and this strategy has helped me garner many helpful responses among established members. I've already been able to make well-informed purchasing decisions this way, which is especially important in such a niche market as hifi audio (esp. in realm of amps/dacs - there are so many variations!).

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #12 of 25
I apologize for my frustration and snideness in my earlier post and thank everyone for their mostly kind responses. I did read nearly everything i could find on the step dance, including the excellent review by skylab and nearly every single post in the initial impressions thread as well as a significant number of postings regarding iPhone and iPad sound quality in general. In all that information, nothing seemed to directly answer the question i was wondering about: will using a great headphone amp without a dedicated DAC make me happy or will i find that i still long for the DAC? Obviously none of you can effectively answer that question since you're not me... But i was interested in some general opinions, even from those who have not heard that specific amp.

Anyway, sorry again and thanks.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 25
If you read SKYLAB's portable amp roundup you will get the idea as to where its place is in the amp industry. Dont get me wrong other peoples views may vary , but for the most part this amp is top notch. I have recently ordered one because a friend of mine here on the forum beleives that its better than the pico slim i just bought. And previously owning a headsix and a move2 , i can only imagine what this amp sounds like. No i have not heard it yet but will very soon. Anyone of the top 5 or 10 amps in skylabs roundup would be a great investment IMO. Cheers

P.S. Be a little more paitient , like others have responded , this place is huge with a ton of threads. It's hard to see everything here.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 25
If you connect an iphone or an ipad to an amp with a built in DAC, the DAC is not being used - just the amp. The DAC is for connecting the amp to a computer. Very few digital audio players or PMPs have the ability to put out SPDIF to a DAC, which is a shame IMO.

Unless you plan on using the amp with a computer, don't worry about a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back