Headphone amp for AKG Q701
May 14, 2011 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Killbox

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I've recently purchased AKG Q701 and I need a headphone amp recommendation. So far I've been checking out Schiit Asgard/Lyr and Audio GD Sparrow. After some reading I've figured out that the Q701 needs a lot of power(?)

Audio GD Sparrow  A version?
Matrix M-Stage
Schiit Asgard, Valhalla, Lyr
Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 DAC
Beresford TC-7520 

Thanks in advance :)

May 14, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 7
Yes sir they need a good amount of power.  Certainly doesn't hurt.  What kind of source are you using?  How do you like them on whatever you're using right now?  If you don't have a source yet, which I'm guessing you might not since you're considering the D1 DAC, and if your budget is tight, then I suggest you go for any of the well known amp/DAC combos. I can vouch for the Audio-GD Fun I had a while ago with the AKG X70X series, very nice synergy there and great bang-for-buck performance.

If your budget isn't so tight then the Lyr will be a fantastic choice.  It's warmer signature tames the 70Xs and gives it all the power it could need.  Puts it through it's paces.  Of course you will need a DAC as well.  If you're trying to save money you can find a budget source in the FS forums.  If not, well, you get the idea.

May 14, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 7
My source is Flac music on my computer mainly. At the moment I have a Nuforce udac (ver.1) with my Denon ah-d1000, while the AKG Q701 is on it's way. I guess the nuforce is way too weak, so that's why I would grad a amp/amp dac combo as well.  I got really tempted by the Maverick, but that was until i read that the TubeMagic A1 Amplifier is way better than the TubeMagic D1 which also have a dac. 

At the moment I see two scenarios. 

1. Buy a OK amp + dac combo 
2. Buy a pure amp, an then later save up some more money to buy a dac aswell. 

I think 500$ included shipping is the max I want to spend now. 

May 15, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #7 of 7
All Little dot's are are OTL, not a good match for low impedance X70Xs.  Look for transformer coupled tubes for X70Xs.  There's a Ming Da 84 70C in the FS forum right now shipping out of Ireland for about $200.  I've heard good things out of that combo on the K701 appreciation thread from SP wild, look for his impressions.  Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back