Headphone amp shopping is hard
Jul 3, 2010 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Reputator

1000+ Head-Fier
Searches on this forum might reveal a plethora of good amps for say a K701, or an HD650, but unless you fall into certain brackets, the prospect of selecting the right amp, or at least a good one, is more than a little intimidating. Every time I search for one, a few more pop up and the list keeps growing. It's one of those types of electronics in which a million and one people are making products, with many more appearing all the time.

I'm looking for a SS amp in the $300 to $700 price range to power a DT990 250ohm, and K702, and more than likely an HE-5LE eventually. So my situation is a tricky one. I'm looking for an amp with a bit of warmth but with good extension. Something that won't send my DT990s treble into nimiety, nor overload its bass, but will give the K702 the range and clarity it needs. My list so far is as follows:

Purity Audio KICAS (Caliente?)
Rockhopper M3
Heed Canamp
Matrix m-stage
Ray Samuel's Emmeline XP-7 w/PSU
Corda Concerto
Corda Cantate.2
Corda Swing
Graham Slee's Novo
CI (channel islands) Audio VHP-2
Creek OBH-21
PS Audio GCHA
Rega Ear Headphone Amp
Pro-ject Head Box SE II
TTVJ FET-A
Rudistor NX-03
Blue Circle Hat Peed Thingee 2
Burson HA-160
Audio-GD C2C
little dot MKV

So far from what I've read, I'm leaning toward the M3, KICAS Caliente, FET-A, or maybe the VHP-2 (w/psu).

I'm going to keep the search going on my end, finding all the reviews I can while keeping this thread alive for helpful opinions/suggestions. Also, if you know of more amps not on my list I should look into, and/or links to reviews, feel free to post them. Thank you!

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 15
Hey, i am in the same boat as you. I am looking for the same thing but in the $450- 700 range for my Denon 5000's. I want an amp like the Burson which can power several different types of headphones not just amp for one pair of headphones and another amp for another amp. I was thinking an SPL amp. But im not sure if you can power different headphones.

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 15
you're not kidding, guys.
amp shopping is hard.

add to that list the recently released FOTM Schiit amp.  hahaha. 

biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
Hey, i am in the same boat as you. I am looking for the same thing but in the $450- 700 range for my Denon 5000's. I want an amp like the Burson which can power several different types of headphones not just amp for one pair of headphones and another amp for another amp. I was thinking an SPL amp. But im not sure if you can power different headphones.

From what I read in a review (link below), the HA-160 has a fair bit of treble sparkle, good attack, but struggles with decay and space. I have no idea what the sound signature of a D5000 is, but it certainly doesn't sound like a good amp for my phones.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/482618/burson-ha160-discrete-class-a-headamp-review

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 15
I agree, eventually for my cans, I decided to just take the plunge and buy whatever deal came up in the for sale forum.  If you are wanting to buy used, I recommend doing the same.  If not, then just consider your short list at the bottom of your post.  Read some, but remember that all of them are going to be pretty hi-fi.  The difference will likely be minimal.

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 15
Corda Concerto
My father got it. Ive convinced my father to buy it when Ive read Skylab's review of concerto and his LCD-2 review which included a phrase that lcd-2 and concerto got a good synergy.
Now, my father is more happy of listening to this combo, than his old Zana Deux +  HD800 combo.
For me, Concerto is an amp that should cost 1500$ or more. Its real steal to sell it for 600eur each.

Jul 3, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 15
At this point I really think it comes down to the Caliente or the M3. The Rockhopper M3 is rather....interesting looking, and I'll certainly try to find out what other builders will charge for it, especially if I went with the sigma11 power supply.

But it seems the M3 might be on a higher level, with a somewhat more engaging sound, which is important to me.

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 15
The M^3 is a fine amp and the active ground plane really helps. I tend to recommend the DIY-based amps for a couple of reasons. First, these amps get picked over by the amp geeks. I built one and so have many others. If there was a problem or shortcoming with the design, it would have been found and stamped out by now. Second is ease of repair. If your builder stops manufacturing or cannot provide repairs, someone else can. Anyone who built one can work on it and there's enough information out there for any tech to repair it. No proprietary parts, no secrecy, no mystery. Some of the commercial amps are excellent and sound good, but the DIY models are a safer bet.

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 15
The active ground helps some cans, not all.  I don't know if it will help Beyer or not.  

Quote:
The M^3 is a fine amp and the active ground plane really helps.

@Reputator: I don't think you will notice much difference going with any one of the amps listed.  Just pick the cheapest with somewhat colored sound and call it a day.

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #10 of 15
Check my sig man!  Its a steal and a GREAT amp!  It pairs extremely well with those cans.  Trust me!  
beyersmile.png

Besides nothing is as rewarding as DIY turning out so right!

Even if you want SS.  Hybrid is a great option!

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 15
I can't make any recommendations yet, but for me I'm planning on building a DIY SS amp for my AKG K701; the M^3 with σ11 PSU. If you have some of the resources and supplies at home (or wherever place you can get for free) already, then a DIY amp is highly recommended and your wallet will thank you lol. For you, replace the bass boost with a gain switch or a variable gain control pot. I made the BOM in excel for both the M3 and σ11 if you want to take a look at it. The Panasonic FM (330uF 50V) caps are out of stock and will restock sometime in September hopefully. I don't know if you want to wait that long 
tongue.gif

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #13 of 15
I felt like bumping this thread, just to say I bought a KICAS Caliente, mainly because it was on sale, and I was tired of waiting for a premade M3 to show up somewhere (and I had trouble emailing YBM for some reason).

Shortly after getting it I found a K702 suddenly in my possession, and could tell right away the Caliente adds some much-needed bottom-end to these cans. It also adds a bit more to the DT990, which may or may not be a good thing. Highs are pretty smooth, as is the rest of the spectrum, so everything is pretty even and balanced until you get to the bass, which is boosted a bit. Not the most engaging sounding on any of my headphones, really, but it sounds good at least.

So I'm already looking ahead at what's next to come. Something under $1k, I suspect. No idea what it will end up being.

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 15
Congrats on your Caliente!

May I ask what sort of trouble you had emailing me? You got bounced mails?

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 15
I use Gmail, and it kept saying connection timed out. It did that three times before giving up.

An M3 is still definitely on the table later on, because I need an amp that synergizes with my Beyer (and I'm sad to say the Caliente simply doesn't do that). I'm also reading into the Burson HA-160 as much as I can, which miraculously it seems no one has tried with any Beyers that I have seen so far.

EDIT: Ha, I just found out you can add some jumpers and change the Caliente into a regular KICAS. Sounds much better with my DT990s now. Pretty happy about that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back