Headphone or Amp for next purchase
Dec 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MoonSung

New Head-Fier
Hey, wanted to see what you guys think my next purchase should be. My current setup being schiit gungnir > schiit lyr with Hifiman HE500 and beyers dt880. I'm thinking of getting a new amp (Either schiit mjolnir or bryston BHA1) OR purchase a pair of Audeze LCD2s to try out audeze bass. I'm open to other options.  I understand that both those amps are balanced and I would most likely purchase balanced cables.

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 3
Both HE500 and DT880 are high quality headphones, so I would say it depends on how satisfied you are with their performance in your system. I personally love the Lyr and would hold off on upgrading. Its' flexibility is a huge selling point to me. Maybe consider a higher end set of tubes (vintage) if you haven't already? That is cheaper than upgrading the whole amp, even if it isn't balanced.

One thing to consider is swapping the DAC. Gungnir is an aggressive DAC, I find the Lyr better when paired with a more laid back DAC like a Peachtree. I'm not a big fan of the pairinig.

Also, be warned...Audeze headphones are nowhere near as comfortable as HE-500 or just about any Beyer. They clench my jaw too hard for me. Not being able to wear them for more than 15 minutes at a time is hard to get a read on their sonic benefits. If you can, try before you buy.

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 3
  Both HE500 and DT880 are high quality headphones, so I would say it depends on how satisfied you are with their performance in your system. I personally love the Lyr and would hold off on upgrading. Its' flexibility is a huge selling point to me. Maybe consider a higher end set of tubes (vintage) if you haven't already? That is cheaper than upgrading the whole amp, even if it isn't balanced.

One thing to consider is swapping the DAC. Gungnir is an aggressive DAC, I find the Lyr better when paired with a more laid back DAC like a Peachtree. I'm not a big fan of the pairinig.

Also, be warned...Audeze headphones are nowhere near as comfortable as HE-500 or just about any Beyer. They clench my jaw too hard for me. Not being able to wear them for more than 15 minutes at a time is hard to get a read on their sonic benefits. If you can, try before you buy.

Thanks for the heads up, though I find the beyers to be uncomfortable.  The headband seems to not be wide enough to distribute the pressure so too much pressure goes on my head and causes it to ache after about an hr or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back