Jan 14, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #2,629 of 2,858
New year new tubes...

ipaUnnB.jpg
mNKONG3.jpg

57TfzdD.jpg

Time to put some burn in hours on these with a new NOS GE 12AX7WA

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #2,631 of 2,858
I understand the WE in the Red October but why the GE12AX7?

I’ll admit I’m a bit biased regarding GE branded tubes since I’ve never found one that excited me. As always, YMMV😊
tbh I'm actually new to tube rolling and I have only gone through about 7 12A* tubes so far and the GE 12AX7WA slightly curbed some of the energetic highs that I was having and maintaining the high gain that has worked well with most of my planars. Curious what suggestions from your experience you would consider good pairings.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #2,632 of 2,858
I apologize for painting the GE's with a broad brush. This has been my experience and I'm sure there are some great GE's.
Have you tried any of the Philips family (Philips, Amperex, Valvo, Mazda, Miniwatt and others) of 12A**?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #2,633 of 2,858
No worries from my end. Like I said new to tube rolling still and honestly like to hear others opinions. I've tried the Amperex Holland ECC83, which I did like but the GE slightly edged it out for me due to the highs being slightly more controlled with female singers, which I have had slight problems with some of my planars. I was super interested in the philips though and was on my list try at some point.

Albeit some more pad rolling would probably help on highs tbh. Im currently in love with the ZMF Caldera and switching to the thick lambskin has helped alot on that front.

Jan 16, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #2,636 of 2,858
No worries from my end. Like I said new to tube rolling still and honestly like to hear others opinions. I've tried the Amperex Holland ECC83, which I did like but the GE slightly edged it out for me due to the highs being slightly more controlled with female singers, which I have had slight problems with some of my planars. I was super interested in the philips though and was on my list try at some point.

Albeit some more pad rolling would probably help on highs tbh. Im currently in love with the ZMF Caldera and switching to the thick lambskin has helped alot on that front.
The 12AX7/ECC83 is a rabbit hole to almost rival the 6SN7. Plenty of great versions of that tube out there. I like a lot of them, but in particular early 1950's black plate Brimar and the Amperex Holland like you mention, and RCA black plate. Very few European black plate 12AX7 were made - but another is Marconi Italy. For hardcore collectors only: Mullard also made a black plate version in 1953 for one year. Grey plate after that. These are very rare and fetch a pretty penny when they appear on the bay.

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #2,637 of 2,858
New (to me) Agartha 2021 owner checking in

So much beauty captured in just a single picture. Kudos!

Any chance of sharing your impressions of the Agartha?. Your opinion would be very appreciated, we've had similar systems in the past (LCD-5, Pendant,VO), and also a Caldera is in my bucket list.

I am in the search of a 300B headphone amp, and coming from the Pendant, which I've enjoyed a lot, it's making the Agartha an interesting alternative.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #2,638 of 2,858
So much beauty captured in just a single picture. Kudos!

Any chance of sharing your impressions of the Agartha?. Your opinion would be very appreciated, we've had similar systems in the past (LCD-5, Pendant,VO), and also a Caldera is in my bucket list.

I am in the search of a 300B headphone amp, and coming from the Pendant, which I've enjoyed a lot, it's making the Agartha an interesting alternative.
Thank you!

The Agartha 2021 is an incredible piece of kit. I’m blown away every time I listen, especially with how resolving the are with the Elrog 300Bs

Don’t expect to roll as much as you did with the Pendant, 6AX5 (full wave rectifier) doesn’t have much impact on the sound. I’m not sure if that’s because of the rectifier itself or the fact that most (about 80-90%) were all made by RCA and rebranded. There are 2 types of construction but they didn’t have a huge impact on sound swapping between the two types IMO.

Unless you plan on rolling 300B’s that just leaves drivers to roll. Luckily there are a lot of options and drivers impact the sound significantly just like the Pendant

However the Revision 2 moved to a Noval front end (12A*7 and equivalent). I didn’t find these to be the best match for 300Bs. Justin did it in an effort to lower the noise floor. 12BH7’s worked well IMO (increased current makes these similar to ECC99, designed to drive 300B amps) G37-R is great too but not as outstanding as it was in the Pendant. I wouldn’t recommend a revision 2, I would look for a 2021 with the octal front end. 6SL7/6SN7 are just plain better in this amp (plus all the single triode equivalents 6J5 & CV6/VR135 really open up the possibilities for tube rolling). Octals have a wider, holographic stage and a more lush, romantic sound. Novals sound narrow and flat in comparison.

All that said, this amp isn’t without its quirks. Noise floor is one (3x higher noise floor than the Bigger Ben). Red October has a lower noise floor but it’s also twice the price. This is only an issue on the 300 Ohm tap, running 6SN7 (or single triode equivalent) fixes this for ZMF dynamics. Running a pre-amp also helps with this (and adds to increased dynamics as well)

All in all it’s an underrated amp, I don’t know of too many owners out there. It’s certainly not of of the top choices for 300B amps but now that I have mine dialed in I wouldn’t part with it. Not sure if you’ll be able to find a 2021 though, the one I bought was the only one I ever saw come up used.

Also it scales every headphone very well. ZMF Dynamics in particular sound incredible. It gave a new lease on life for my VO

IMG_4676.jpeg

IMG_4341.jpeg
IMG_4320.jpeg

Feb 8, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #2,639 of 2,858
Thank you!

The Agartha 2021 is an incredible piece of kit. I’m blown away every time I listen, especially with how resolving the are with the Elrog 300Bs

Don’t expect to roll as much as you did with the Pendant, 6AX5 (full wave rectifier) doesn’t have much impact on the sound. I’m not sure if that’s because of the rectifier itself or the fact that most (about 80-90%) were all made by RCA and rebranded. There are 2 types of construction but they didn’t have a huge impact on sound swapping between the two types IMO.

Unless you plan on rolling 300B’s that just leaves drivers to roll. Luckily there are a lot of options and drivers impact the sound significantly just like the Pendant

However the Revision 2 moved to a Noval front end (12A*7 and equivalent). I didn’t find these to be the best match for 300Bs. Justin did it in an effort to lower the noise floor. 12BH7’s worked well IMO (increased current makes these similar to ECC99, designed to drive 300B amps) G37-R is great too but not as outstanding as it was in the Pendant. I wouldn’t recommend a revision 2, I would look for a 2021 with the octal front end. 6SL7/6SN7 are just plain better in this amp (plus all the single triode equivalents 6J5 & CV6/VR135 really open up the possibilities for tube rolling). Octals have a wider, holographic stage and a more lush, romantic sound. Novals sound narrow and flat in comparison.

All that said, this amp isn’t without its quirks. Noise floor is one (3x higher noise floor than the Bigger Ben). Red October has a lower noise floor but it’s also twice the price. This is only an issue on the 300 Ohm tap, running 6SN7 (or single triode equivalent) fixes this for ZMF dynamics. Running a pre-amp also helps with this (and adds to increased dynamics as well)

All in all it’s an underrated amp, I don’t know of too many owners out there. It’s certainly not of of the top choices for 300B amps but now that I have mine dialed in I wouldn’t part with it. Not sure if you’ll be able to find a 2021 though, the one I bought was the only one I ever saw come up used.

Also it scales every headphone very well. ZMF Dynamics in particular sound incredible. It gave a new lease on life for my VO

Very nice pictures!

Thanks for the detailed impressions and information about the Agartha. The idea of adding it to my system is growing on me and becoming the top choice. As you mentioned, there don't seem to be many owners, and finding opinions on this product is not easy.

I've noticed a lot of hype around the mighty Elrogs; WE300Bs have been on my wishlist, but I just wonder if going straight to the Elrogs is the way to go.

About the octal to noval update, I believe I could live with it; due to the Pendant topology and tube prices, some of my best drivers are singles. I have a soft spot for 12au7 tubes, especially for the Ecc802s, G73-R, and Mullard M10. It's good to know that 12bh7s are a good pairing for the Agartha. CBS black plates and Brimars are very fine tubes. I tried various 12ax7s and 12at7s in the Pendant too, but I ended up collecting more 12au7s for their lower noise floor and better clarity.

That being said, the ability to use octals would be a great feature. I've been collecting various 6sn7s, and couldn't agree more with your findings about their holographic and romantic sound. In my limited understanding, 6SN7 tubes could be used with an adapter in 12a*7 circuits, as long as the voltage used is 6.3 volts. That would be a good question for Justin if I don't find any Agartha 2021 in the near future.

Other potential 300b alternatives are:

• WA5 2nd gen.
  • Feliks Envy performance (Pre-owned).
  • Audion Silver Night 300b Headphone Amp.
  • Cayin 300b Mk2"

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #2,640 of 2,858
I see the Icon 205d listed on the 1st page here but does anyone have any experience with this amp with both standard 300b & 205d tubes?

I was impressed with a demo of the icon HP8 mkii today but the 205d is harder to come by for a demo.
Very delayed response I know but I'll post impressions of the Icon HP205D w/ 300Bs and 205Ds installed in about a month when mine arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back