Heavier gauge wire: increase power to iron, or just wait?
Mar 11, 2009 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HiFi1972

100+ Head-Fier
Rookie soldering question: I've got one of those cheap Weller soldering stations (the red one, can't remember the model right now). Well, it's got a temperature knob and I usually have it set at a little past "3" and on wires that are 20 - 24 awg, it's usually a couple of seconds and the solder melts, I'm good there.

However, when I'm working on heavier gauge, like 14 - 18, should I mess around with the temp knob (increase the power) or simply hold the iron to the wire longer? I find that leaving the iron there longer usually takes about 8-10 seconds and yesterday, a piece of shrink tubing I had at the other end started shrinking; how can I improve my technique (eventually I may buy a better station, but let's stick to me using the Weller please).

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 6
increase power. You get less melting of PVC sleeves or heatshrink tubes with more power. The reason is that the heat transfers quickly to one point then dissipates as you release much quicker. If you hold longer, the heat travels further up the wire as you noticed.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 6
Is it the WLC100? I have one of those and I leave it at 4 for cables - the higher the heat, the less time you are cooking the connectors, which prevents the plastic on the inside from melting. If doing SMD I sometimes crank it up to 5 to quickly heat ground planes and get the connection before you fry the chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back