Help choose amp and/or DAC for Shure SRH840 cans
Aug 19, 2011 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

pim69

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

I recently purchased a pair of Shure SRH840 headphones.  I use these for both listening on the train and for watching movies at home so I don't disturb the kids/wife at night. 

I have found the volume on these lacking when using my Samsung Galaxy Captivate android phone, though the quality is decent especially since it supports lossless music.  I also find the volume very lacking on my home a/v receiver a Yamaha RX-V1900 using the included 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter, after switching to headphones I have to turn the volume WAY up to get a reasonable level.  Volume and sound is great directly out of a PC headphone jack though.

From my reading I presume this means it would benefit from a dedicated headphone amp.  Can you please recommend if I should consider a portable/stationary DAC and/or AMP for the following 2 scenarios, and if I should consider separate hardware for each (let's assume $100-200 budget):

1.  Android phone for portable use on the train.
2.  Yamaha RX-V1900 watching movies and occasional music, fed from a Home Theater PC that's connected via HDMI to the a/v receiver. 

Thanks for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back