Help deciding on a 2nd hand lcd-x
Dec 7, 2020 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Honeypot

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys.
This is my very first thread. I did read a little bit the rules and I am ready to ask and contribute.
My current setup is a dx7-pro (dac/amp) from topping, a feliks audio echo and a dt 1990 from Beyerndynamics.
So far, I am enjoying the setup. Specially since the echo arrival and some eq to the dt 1990's, I couldn't stand the highs.
Problem is, I want more @.@
Started to search for an upgrade for the 1990s and I've been investigating a little bit and came across audeze. Specially the lcd-2c and the lcd-x.
I found an interesting offert on 2nd hand lcd-x. Although the guy lives a bit far from me (far enough i can't test).
The guy has been very polite and kind. Very detailed and respectful. Even felt trustworthy.
The price is nice, i don't want to say exact amount but around 800.
The cans are 2 year old, bought in usa. They look ok on pictures, besides a little detail, the filter inside. It looks like an old cotton jersey coming apart.
I asked the guy, he couldn't tell me the reason, and recognized it looked a bit ugly.
The rest of the cans looks quite well. I will drop pictures so you can judge on your own.
Other than that, the guy said they sound phenomenal and didn't have an issue with them.

The question is: given I can't test them, but I could arrange a delivery where I can check if they are good condition before accepting them.. Is it good deal?

Thx in advance

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 6
Yeah nothing wrong with those. It's just cloth -- as long as it's not touching the membrane of the actual driver (which is recessed -- doesn't appear to be) it won't affect sound. If it bothers you a bunch, disassemble them partially (if you are comfortable doing so) and use a pair of sewing scissors or similar to snip off the pulls. The price is fair and they do appear to be well taken care of.

What has you jumping from dynamics to planars? I own both and they definitely do different things well, but to be fair I don't own a pair of planars on the level of the LCD-X (at least price-wise).

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 6
What has you jumping from dynamics to planars?
To be honest, I do not know how planar sound. But I heard marvelous things...
What makes me look for an upgrade however, is that I am starting to teach my ears, and where before I did not found a single complain, now I am starting to notice weak points.
For instance, the imaging on the 1990 is not quite on point.
The lows are good, but I would like some more definition.
The mids lack a bit of character and body.
And highs... Oh well... I have eq'd so much the 1990's that they lost completely the airness...
That's why the slightly darker, dull but however great at lo and hi of the lcdx's appeal to me.
Also heard the imaging is super

Thank you for the response

Hope somebody else kindly answer it's opinion.
I am not used to buy 2nd hand stuff...

Cheers to everyone:)

Dec 12, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 6
Yeah nothing wrong with those. It's just cloth -- as long as it's not touching the membrane of the actual driver (which is recessed -- doesn't appear to be) it won't affect sound. If it bothers you a bunch, disassemble them partially (if you are comfortable doing so) and use a pair of sewing scissors or similar to snip off the pulls. The price is fair and they do appear to be well taken care of.

I agree with silent-circuit

The price with a year warranty make a fine deal and if you can arrange testing first why not. Not likely they sell separately but you could ask Audeze for new cloth pieces.

Dec 12, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 6
I would buy those in a heartbeat. And I already own an LCD-X.

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 6
I would buy those in a heartbeat. And I already own an LCD-X.
Thanks guys. I am already arrenging with him the trade. He lives in a city far away from mine, but he has a friend close to me that he can send and I can test.
Hope for the best! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back