Help finding good, fun headphones!
Aug 29, 2010 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

llama_egg

100+ Head-Fier
I swore to god there use to be a thread for this sort of thing, but maybe it got deleted at some point or I've just gone absolutely insane. Either way, I ask for your help my brothers and sisters, in helping me spend money!
dt880smile.png

I'm currently looking to upgrading my current set of cans, M-Audio Q40's, as much as I do love them I feel as though I need something new, and only for home use (I tend to carry and toss around the Q40's quite a bit), probably around the $400-500 range.They'll mostly be paired with my computer which is running a ASUS Xonar Essence STX and used for everything from music to gaming, though I do put my music quality before gaming.

For music I honestly listen to nearly every genre under the sun, with a random library switching from Muse to Iron Maiden, from Streetlight Manifesto to Bethoven, from The Shins to Dave Brubeck, I could continue on but I think you get the point. I'm looking for a pair that's clear, has good bass and doesn't become muddy with a lot going on (terribly sorry 'bout not remembering the proper definitions of stuff, I also swore there was a thread regarding terminology at one point). The big thing is I want the set to, in the end, be fun to listen to, I want it to have a kick so to speak but nothing be overwhelmed.

If you guys need any more information feel free to ask, and thanks for the help!

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 2
Well if I had that soundcard I'd buy the HD-600. To me, that's my current favorite headphone I own. They seem to do everything well for me. The only problem is that I like to move around the house a lot while listening to headphones and I don't like the feeling of being tied down to a headphone. They work OK with my Total Airhead, but not to 100% I imagine. When I'm not using them out of my portable amp I use them on my receiver.

If you want more bass, get the HD-650. Right now I imagine the HD-600 is $300 and it's been worth every penny. I preferred them over the DT-880, DT-990 and AKG 701. The AKG 701 should be removed from your list since you said you wanted "a kick". They sound good, but are not really a fun headphone to me. They also seem much harder to drive then my HD-600, despite the OHM ratings.

You may also want to look into the Denon D2000. It seems people will still suggest that on here, but i'm not a fan of them. Those might be good if you want a lot of bass without it ruining anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back