Help, I am allergic to Nickel and I love metal IEM's.
Nov 10, 2016 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

yacobx

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

So about a year ago I got my first metal IEM and loved it. What happened next was weird, I started getting headaches. As I looked into this more I realized I had a sensitivity to nickel. I want to still use my metal IEM's but dont enjoy the day long headaches. 

So here is my question.

Is there anything to cover the iem? like silicon spray? Or silicon tape? Shrink Wrap?

Help.

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi... I also am allergic to nickel...I don't have any experience using metal IEM's ... but based on my own experience I wouldn't bother trying to coat them... coatings will wear off quickly I'd think.

I can wear Stainless Steel watches for the most part. (there are different types of SS... some of them have more nickel than others)

Titanium is an even safer bet for someone with nickel allergies... 

If you wanna coat them... just be careful because basically the more exposed to nickel you are the worse the allergy becomes..

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 7
you could have them galvanised :)
If it's possible to take them apart, that shouldn't be hard.

I once had a copper block nickel-coated for free, because the companies can just add such tiny items to the big parts they coat.

I hear Gold is quite nice :)

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 7
Hi... I also am allergic to nickel...I don't have any experience using metal IEM's ... but based on my own experience I wouldn't bother trying to coat them... coatings will wear off quickly I'd think.

I can wear Stainless Steel watches for the most part. (there are different types of SS... some of them have more nickel than others)

Titanium is an even safer bet for someone with nickel allergies... 

If you wanna coat them... just be careful because basically the more exposed to nickel you are the worse the allergy becomes..

I am the same way, not all watches that are SS bother me. I wish someone would trade me for the flare titanium iem

Nov 10, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Echobox Finders X-1's are titanium and I love mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back