Help! Something Terrible happened to my HD-600s!!!
Sep 9, 2003 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

kwkarth

Electronics guys... we have our plusses and minuses. With advent of digital everything, we're being phased out
I broke out my modded Grado SR-200s and spent most of the weekend listening to them after not having listened to them at length for quite a while. I "remembered" something magical about their midrange. I went through a whole crate of SR-200s when I bought them and got the pick of the litter. Then spent some time on the phone with Joe Grado who gave me multitudes of ideas for tweaks. Well, I implemented most of them and ended up with some very special cans. The drivers in these particular SR-200s look identical to the drivers in the HP-1s they had in the store at the time. Although the HP-1 sounded quite a bit better at the time, but this was the closest I could find to that reference before the tweaks.

Well, many years have gone by, and many headphones have come and gone, but I could never think about parting with my Grados as much for sentimental reasons as anything else.

After this weekend, I'm doubly glad I've never gotten rid of them.

After accomodating to the magical midrange of these SR-200s for a couple days, I can hardly stand to listen to my HD-600/Cardas or my AKG-K501s. The midrange on both of them sucks compared to the Grado. The Grado is so neutral/natural compared to everything else I have, it's hard to go back. Now what do I do?
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2003 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 36
forgive me but what's the terrible news?

Sep 9, 2003 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 36
So for those of you that have the RS-1s, how do you rate their neutrality? Is there hope for me of getting extended highs and lows in the RS-1 compared to the SR-200 and still keeping the neutrality of the midrange? Or is this a lost cause? Does anybody have an HP-1 that had fried drivers in it whose carcas they want to sell cheap?
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 36
heh, we audiophiles are a fickle bunch. Just listen to them for a while and you'll find something that annoys you, and then you'll find the Senns do a better job and then you'll find something that annoys you about the Senns and then...
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2003 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
So for those of you that have the RS-1s, how do you rate their neutrality?

They have neutrality? Funny I never noticed...

Quote:

Is there hope for me of getting extended highs and lows in the RS-1 compared to the SR-200 and still keeping the neutrality of the midrange?

Never heard a pair of SR-200s so I can't really say...

Sep 9, 2003 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 36
That's what I was afraid of.... From what I recall, the RS-1s didn't have the midrange of the original series of cans from Grado.
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 36
The RS-1s color the sound the way certain drugs tend to color the individual user's consciousness. . .
biggrin.gif
. I.e., it's less realistic, but a cool effect imho.

I'm interested in the "special" SR-200 that you have, kwkarth. If its midrange destroys the HD600, it would be a great listen, especially with all of my solo violin literature.

Cheers,
Geek

Sep 9, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 36
Violins are absolutely superb! No hollow midrange coloration, only the tonal color of the body of the instrument itself. You can hear the texture of the bowing across the strings. So sweet and pure. I don't know how I missed these Grados on my Max before. Vocals, you should hear volcals... Man, words fail me.. I'm listening to The John Pizzarelli Trio - Live at Birdland. They're right here in the room with me, or rather, I'm right there in the room with them! I can hear all the sounds of the room, all the voices, applause, tinkeling of the silverware and glasses on the tables, the stand up bass, John's guitar, all totally real.

Sep 9, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #10 of 36
Your solution: Sell me the HD600, pick up my HD580 & some cash. Use cash to buy umm...something. Stash 580's in closet to play with every once and a while. Let me enjoy the HD600 since grados drive me nuts
biggrin.gif

No...really.

Sep 9, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
That's what I was afraid of.... From what I recall, the RS-1s didn't have the midrange of the original series of cans from Grado.
frown.gif

Purely in my opinion, the HP-1000 (at least the one I heard -- I think it was an HP-2) has a boosted midrange. Not seriously boosted, but it isn't flat. Not to say I didn't love the sound when I heard them (I did)... in other words, I agree with you -- Joe's a huge fan of midrange, John doesn't seem quite as devoted.

I'm not sure what the big frig is about absolute neutrality in headphones, anyway. Unless one is a classical/acoustic purist (who also happens to be phobic about equalizers) who the hell cares, really? Dare I say that neutrality is one of the least important aspects of what attracts me to the sound of a pair of headphones?

Sep 9, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by eighteen_psi
Your solution: Sell me the HD600, pick up my HD580 & some cash. Use cash to buy umm...something. Stash 580's in closet to play with every once and a while. Let me enjoy the HD600 since grados drive me nuts
biggrin.gif

No...really.

Great idea, but I already have 2 pair of 580s laying around here already! If the Grados you've heard drive you nuts, you would not believe your ears if you heard these! I can't hardly believe it!

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Purely in my opinion, the HP-1000 (at least the one I heard -- I think it was an HP-2) has a boosted midrange. Not seriously boosted, but it isn't flat. Not to say I didn't love the sound when I heard them (I did)... in other words, I agree with you -- Joe's a huge fan of midrange (this is widely known), John doesn't seem quite as devoted.

On a slightly off-angle... I'm not sure what the big frig is about absolute neutrality in headphones, anyway. Unless one is a classical/acoustic purist (who also happens to be phobic about equalizers) who the hell cares, really?

I totally see your point fewtch, but I've spent many years as a recording engineer on the side and absolutely have a penchant for hearing an absolute accurate replication of the real live happening. So that's what I've always striven for. I too, love heavier bass or smoother or hotter top ends than reality for fun, like sugar in my coffee, but there are times when nothing but the real thing will do. Just my thing. I'm sure not everybody has the same obsession with this that I do.

Regarding the mids of Grado HP-1000s or these SR-200s for that matter, even a 10th of millimeter difference in spacing between your ear and the transducer markedly changes the midrange character of these phones. There are also very subtle resonances in the frame that Joe told me about to damp than really change the character of the sound. The original flat pads are best, the bowls turned around backwards are almost as good, and the bowls used as they were intended, suck.

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #14 of 36
The guy I sold my 325s to had some vintage grados that sounded like......hd580s. In fact they may just have been SR-200's. I forget the number but I heard them and in fact was stunned.

My 325's, bless their soul, were WAY too bright. Stunningly dynamic but man....hard to listen to for more than a blast through a single rock tune.

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:07 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
heh, we audiophiles are a fickle bunch. Just listen to them for a while and you'll find something that annoys you, and then you'll find the Senns do a better job and then you'll find something that annoys you about the Senns and then...
biggrin.gif

Yes, gpalmer, we are a fickle bunch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back