HELP: Sony NW-55 doesnt read multichannel files...
Dec 24, 2020 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Blokkka

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
first off, I'm absolutely new in this forum, and just recently started to get interested in this whole Hi-Fi universe... so excuse me if I get things wrong.

So I just bought my brand new Sony NW-55 Walkman and started to drag and drop parts of my library, which mainly consists FLAC, ALAC and MP3 files, but there is one particular album that the player can't read.
It's the Pink Floyd TDSOTM 5.1 Dolby Surround SACD album, which I got as multichannel FLAC files, but it seems the NW-55 only reads STEREO files...
Is there any way to get it read the files, without losing the multichannel sound??
My iPhone has absolutely no problem with that, and theres a way to get the Music App to read the multichannel files, but I dont know how to do it for my Walkman.

Thanks in advance and christmas greetings from Germany!

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 2
My iPhone has absolutely no problem with that...

Because it's a more general purpose kind of computer with software that can do more tasks, and a more powerful processor. Its CPU runs a software that downconverts it on the fly.

The Sony has a more specialized firmware and they probably didn't code for that, even if Sony spearheaded SACD/DSD and BluRayAudio.

...and theres a way to get the Music App to read the multichannel files, but I dont know how to do it for my Walkman

AFAIK there should be audio editing software that can convert it to regular stereo on your desktop or laptop.

This is still better than doing it on the fly on the iPhone or any device (assuming you can even do it this way) for at least one reason: you don't make the CPU work on the downconversion every time you play it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back