Hi End CD players?
May 12, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #46 of 83
So would you say it handles pop/rock well?

I know some of these types of CD's can sound poor no matter what CD player you play them on

May 13, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #47 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would you say it handles pop/rock well?

I think it does. I put on Bang!...The Greatest Hits of Frankie Goes to Hollywood last night, and was quite pleased with the way it sounded. I had tried the same disc in my old source a couple nights ago, and hadn't been as impressed. I've tried a couple of eurobeat albums as well, and they sounded great.

I really like the way classical music sounds out of it. I've played a few classical SACDs on it, and I've enjoyed them immensely.

A couple of quirks I've noticed about the player:

1. Pushing the |<< button sends the player to the previous track no matter how far into the song it is. So, if you're two minutes into track 8, and you push that button, it goes to the beginning of track 7. I'm used to players that skip back to the beginning of the current track if you're more than 5 seconds into it, but the Wadia goes back to the previous track no matter what.

2. Sometimes, the display will cycle through a few different screens for no apparent reason. The display ordinarily shows the track number and time, but it can also show the balance, volume level, input, and phase. Normally, you press a button on the remote to cycle through these screens, but last night I noticed that at the beginning of a couple songs, it switched to some of the other screens on its own before returning to the track and time screen.

3. The tracking of time isn't always precise. When I listened to a 13+ minute long song last night, the time display started skipping at around 10 minutes (so, it would show 10:01, then 10:03, but never showed 10:02). This didn't affect the music that was playing at all, just the time that was registered.

4. I have no idea how to go directly to a track past track 9. There is a +10 button on the remote, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything (e.g., if I hit the +10 button, then the 6 button, it will go to track 6). I had noticed this on the unit that I had auditioned as well.

May 14, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #48 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by HDen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asr, really enjoys the Plinius CD-101
cd101_cover_lg.jpg

Because your budget is of £9000, doesn't mean you have to spend all of it on the cd-player
wink.gif

Here's a link to his view regarding that cd-player, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/sil...landed-303755/

I really agree with you
I use Plinius 101se which is released only in Korea by far.
very musical sound, tight base.

May 14, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #49 of 83
am I missing something??...why has no one mentioned the new Meridian 808.2 ...@around $15K US. Based on Meridian's house sound and their extensive digital experience, this should be the player to beat (I remember when the 508.24 was THE player, long before SACD).

May 14, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #50 of 83
I have decided to pass on the Wadia 581SE.I really need to hear some other DAC's/players.I wouldn't get a warranty with the Wadia anyway

May 14, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #51 of 83
That Wadia 581SE looks certainly GOOD!
biggrin.gif

Since it has digital inputs, it could act as a fine dac. I'm looking for a CDP for dac purposes, although these are way out of my price range.
frown.gif

May 14, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #52 of 83
Well, if you wanted to use the Wadia as a DAC, the 581 SE wouldn't work for you. The 581 SE does not have any inputs, but the 581i SE does. The difference in retail price is $1,500 between the two ($9,950 for the 581 SE, and $11,450 for the 581i SE). You can get the 581 SE upgraded to the 581i SE, but that costs $2,000, and takes a couple weeks for it to be done.

Rob, I think that's probably the best idea. Try out a few players, and see which one has the sound you like. There's no reason to jump on a player because it's a good deal if you don't have any idea how it will sound.

May 15, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #54 of 83
This coming weekend I am going to audition the Emm Labs CDSA SE. This is going to be the latest 2008 edition with upgraded disc drive (tray ?), feet and software.

I will also look to compare it with the new Cary 306 SACD Pro. but more included towards the Emm Labs as a dedicated headphone front end.

F. Lo

May 15, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #55 of 83
The Acoustic Plan vadi has no cover for the transport? If not it has the potential to get pretty dusty

May 15, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #56 of 83
Not starting an argument, but aren't new CDs possibly a flawed audio source...what with engineers messing with the loudness.

NoFR.jpg

Wouldn't playing that through a fantabulous CDP, be a bit like polishing a turd?

So would you be forced to play old CDs with a frequency response or HR CDs to get any advantage?
^ Obviously folks w/$10,000 CDPs can, but I can't imagine there is a huge selection? Do not buy Hi-Res albums, so maybe there is now?

May 15, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #57 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not starting an argument, but aren't new CDs possibly a flawed audio source...what with engineers messing with the loudness.

Classical Music often has a much better dynamic range I have measured genuine 50 - 60 db ranges from bog-standard Classical CDs.

May 15, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #58 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Acoustic Plan vadi has no cover for the transport? If not it has the potential to get pretty dusty

Yes. I'm afraid so. no cover for the transport

May 19, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #59 of 83
I'm getting an Ensemble Dirondo to try.

The Acoustic Plan looks interesting but there are no dealers in the UK so I cannot try before buying,price is 8800 euros.

May 19, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #60 of 83
How about Audio Note cd 4.1x. Incorporates a Philips pro transport and the AN 2.1x signature DAC. The DAC is tube out and the package features black gate caps, AN tantalum resistors, copper foil caps and all that other good stuff that money can buy.

And....as a plus, it is one of those rare audio note items that actually looks reasonably ok. But you know what they say...it's all about the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back