Hiby FC6 - another R-2R USB dongle
Mar 1, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #17 of 469
Why such low power output? The design is nice trough.
I’m curious too, though it didn’t seem to be a problem for the donglemadness review.

Mar 1, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #18 of 469
Cayin Ru6 has 4.4, slightly more output power, released >1 year ago (Dec 2021) and only cost USD$250
Hiby FC6 only comes SE, less power and cost more USD$300

I'm sure Hiby SQ isn't bad given they already have 2 R2R DAPs (RS6 & RS2)
But it's not gonna be day & night compared to Cayin a reputable company + other user comments
Hiby could have just copied Cayin's amp circuitry and improvised
I just can't see how Hiby justifies higher price tag by offering less. SQ is subjective.

I just hope Hiby could come up with better products (better output power or features) or with a lower price before justifying releasing a new product to an already very competitive market

Mar 1, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #19 of 469
I could be wrong...
R2R uses a network of resistive ladder (discrete circuit) that drains a lot more power compares to IC chip like delta-sigma
Hence more power is needed to operate the DAC with very little juice left for the amp circuitry
You can only draw so much power out from a USB port

May be donglemadness only tested it with IEMs?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #20 of 469
I could be wrong...
R2R uses a network of resistive ladder (discrete circuit) that drains a lot more power compares to IC chip like delta-sigma
Hence more power is needed to operate the DAC with very little juice left for the amp circuitry

All true… although the FC6 does have MQA. The lack of that feature is why I haven’t bought the RU6

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #21 of 469
R-2R DAC itself doesn't really consume that much power (it mostly need voltage, but not so much amperage). As with most USB dongle, the part that required most power is the headphone amp section. Hiby probably doesn't include a balanced output on the purpose of cutting power consumption (which also make sense why output power isn't particularly high).

Mar 2, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #22 of 469
I could be wrong...

He tested it on Hifi man planars too. He said it had great driving power, despite the low mw output. I might check this out myself as I liked the ru6. I don’t mind no balanced out myself, I've got adapters if I need them. Price kind of sucks, hiby is usually very competitive in price so I'm expecting this to be a banger.

Mar 2, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #23 of 469
Cayin Ru6 has 4.4, slightly more output power, released >1 year ago (Dec 2021) and only cost USD$250
Hiby FC6 only comes SE, less power and cost more USD$300

I'm sure Hiby SQ isn't bad given they already have 2 R2R DAPs (RS6 & RS2)
But it's not gonna be day & night compared to Cayin a reputable company + other user comments
Hiby could have just copied Cayin's amp circuitry and improvised
I just can't see how Hiby justifies higher price tag by offering less. SQ is subjective.

I just hope Hiby could come up with better products (better output power or features) or with a lower price before justifying releasing a new product to an already very competitive market

There's only one true competitor with the same r2r design, the ru6. So they have a niche segment that's wide open. Not that I expect a flood of r2r dongles as it's very specialized tech, but it's nice to have another choice.

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #24 of 469
I do have SE-Bal adaptors as well, but it gets cumbersome and less user-friendly when comes dongle DAC which is why companies like Cayin, Fiio, Questyle design with 4.4; at least in that price category.

I was hoping someone could give Cayin a good run for it's money with similar products with better features or lower price affordable to more user.
Guess I was just disappointed Hiby went total opposite despite being price-competitive thus far and leader with R2R DAPs.

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #25 of 469
I do have SE-Bal adaptors as well, but it gets cumbersome and less user-friendly when comes dongle DAC which is why companies like Cayin, Fiio, Questyle design with 4.4; at least in that price category.

I was hoping someone could give Cayin a good run for it's money with similar products with better features or lower price affordable to more user.
Guess I was just disappointed Hiby went total opposite despite being price-competitive thus far and leader with R2R DAPs.

Well until we've heard it, it's a moot point. It does have mqa which some people care about and Darwin filters and architecture. No 4.4 but I've got some 3.5 gear that wipes the floor with balanced stuff. And and adapter being cumbersome? Just let it stay plugged in, I've got a fiio one that's super low profile. Not cumbersome at all.

Honestly if you already have a cayin r2r I don't see why you'd get this unless you're curious. Just buy the ru6 if you don't have it.

I'll tell you why I'm interested in this, as much as I loved the sound on ru6 I always had weird volume pops when adjusting volume. Maybe it got improved idk, but I'm hoping this doesn't have that problem. I'd pay 50 more to be rid of that.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #26 of 469
I'll tell you why I'm interested in this, as much as I loved the sound on ru6 I always had weird volume pops when adjusting volume. Maybe it got improved idk, but I'm hoping this doesn't have that problem. I'd pay 50 more to be rid of that.
The clicks you hear every 10db on the Cayin RU6 volume control are the relays switching to the next higher/lower volume range. I now listen for the click as I go from 30 to 31db so I don’t have to look at the tiny screen.

Mar 3, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #28 of 469
Well until we've heard it, it's a moot point. It does have mqa which some people care about and Darwin filters and architecture. No 4.4 but I've got some 3.5 gear that wipes the floor with balanced stuff. And and adapter being cumbersome? Just let it stay plugged in, I've got a fiio one that's super low profile. Not cumbersome at all.

Honestly if you already have a cayin r2r I don't see why you'd get this unless you're curious. Just buy the ru6 if you don't have it.

So does a SE/balanced adapter provide the increased power from the balanced port? My Focal Bathys have a 3.5mm and my SP3000 has trouble driving it. I was thinking of getting a 4.4 balanced male / 3.5 female

… just tested it. It actually sounds quieter using the adapter compared with just connecting the 3.5 wire

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #29 of 469
So does a SE/balanced adapter provide the increased power from the balanced port? My Focal Bathys have a 3.5mm and my SP3000 has trouble driving it. I was thinking of getting a 4.4 balanced male / 3.5 female

No balanced port, the adapter I'm talking about let's you use balanced cables with 2.5 or 4.4 end. So it's 2.5 or 4.4 to regular 3 pole 3.5. And if your sp 3000 isn't driving them I doubt this will.

Mar 3, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #30 of 469
Ya, my Gryphon handled it easily but it just died on me yesterday. The reason I’m doing it is to use the Bathys as wired ANC headphones with the SP3000’s capabilities (DAR, etc)

The balanced out handles my Audeze LCD-2s effortlessly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back