HiBy R2 - HiBy's entry-level HiFi digital audio player
Mar 6, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #857 of 872
Is r2 good as transport? Example scenario: smartphone>bt>r2>usb>dongle.
I often use my R2-II as transport with a Topping G5 (and WiFi). In that role, the R2-II is as good and cheaper, than pretty much any other transport DAP. The only consideration with R2>usb>dongle may be battery life: to get much better than the R2-II integrated DAC/Amp (no slouch IMO), you may use a fairly high-end dongle… which could tax the battery.

If you go up to, say a R3-II, Tempotec V3, or Shanling M1S, you get a larger battery, but also a better integrated DAC/Amp…
I have also read that Tempotec is planning to release a transport-only V3 (USB, and SPDIF I believe).

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #858 of 872
I often use my R2-II as transport with a Topping G5 (and WiFi). In that role, the R2-II is as good and cheaper, than pretty much any other transport DAP. The only consideration with R2>usb>dongle may be battery life: to get much better than the R2-II integrated DAC/Amp (no slouch IMO), you may use a fairly high-end dongle… which could tax the battery.

If you go up to, say a R3-II, Tempotec V3, or Shanling M1S, you get a larger battery, but also a better integrated DAC/Amp…
I have also read that Tempotec is planning to release a transport-only V3 (USB, and SPDIF I believe).
Thanks, when using r2 as a bt receiver, do mseb and eq work on the usb port? Power issues for the dongle can be solved using the ibasso cb19 splitter.

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #859 of 872
Thanks, when using r2 as a bt receiver, do mseb and eq work on the usb port? Power issues for the dongle can be solved using the ibasso cb19 splitter.
Answered in the R3-II thread…
In one word: No.
As far as the splitter… sure… but that becomes a clunky solution: phone, R2, dongle, splitter, power bank :ksc75smile:

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #861 of 872
Answered in the R3-II thread…
In one word: No.
As far as the splitter… sure… but that becomes a clunky solution: phone, R2, dongle, splitter, power bank :ksc75smile:
You know, it was just a concept. The benefits of r2 + dongle + some small power bank are attractive to me. This solution can be very compact and convenient if planned well. Additionally, you can use Tidal offline. Additionally, it is possible to control the player on a smartphone with the screen turned off using gestures. I have r6 2020. Here MSEB is global and I think I will stay with it for now, although I would prefer a smaller transport to the dongle. The lack of USB eq option when using r2 as a transport excludes this solution from my point of view. The planned Tempotec Transport-Only device you wrote about earlier would be a good solution with a decent battery.

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #862 of 872
The lack of USB eq option when using r2 as a transport excludes this solution from my point of view
Just to clarify, MSEB and EQ do work with R2 as a transport connected to a USB dongle… if you use the R2 as a DAP (playing from the SD) or DLNA renderer. It is “as a BT receiver or as an AirPlay renderer” that it does not work whether it is connected to a USB dongle or using the integrated DAC/Amp.

Mar 24, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #865 of 872
v1.2.jpg
HIBY R2 II FIRMWARE UPDATE !!

Changelog:
1. Added shortcut menu customization function;
2. Fixed issue where Bluetooth playback switching between tracks may get stuck or silent;
3. Various other bug fixes.

The OTA update is available now. Simply connect to Wi-Fi and update the firmware by System settings -> Firmware update -> Via OTA.

Download link for local update: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yl3Q95zjvpr4R1knjG9-6BY-0mWQkVeB/view
I returned to 1.1 because the battery on version 1.2 began to drain quickly, resetting to factory settings does not help.

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #867 of 872
Noticed that R2-II is apparently discontinued. It is no longer listed in the HiBy store & elsewhere except for remaining inventory.
It's been removed from Hiby website a while ago, pretty short shelf life. Guess they gonna replace it with something "new" and discontinue it after a year again.

Apr 4, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #868 of 872
It's been removed from Hiby website a while ago, pretty short shelf life. Guess they gonna replace it with something "new" and discontinue it after a year again.
Or not replacing it… because of HibyDigital: there may not be much demand for a R2 on the audiophile side—what the HiBy brand is now specifically targeting.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #869 of 872
Gimme something that competes with the Tempotec V3-D please...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back