HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Sep 18, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #4,412 of 6,628
Could be due to impedance mismatch. What gear are U using?

V Moda LP2s which are not mega high end but not cheap either, clear sound with emphasis on the low end. I think theyre 32 ohm. They do sound very flat with my phone unless I add the Fiio A3, the amp is not optional with the Note since it has trouble driving enough power to them.

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #4,413 of 6,628
Okay so I received my Hiby R6 this morning and I must be doing something wrong or maybe it's faulty. First impressions are that this is a massive let down.

The key issues:
-Bass is weak and muddy. I'm shocked at how weak. And MSEB and Equalizer don't solve the issue, they just pile mud onto the sound and there's entire lyrics being distorted from a slight bass addition on the EQ. Eminem's new album in FLAC with a slight EQ tweak and a push towards bass extension and warmth distorts lyrics horribly. This is the most disappointing thing.

-My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with the Hiby app, a FLAC file and a Fiio A3 amp is better. Better bass and clearer sound at the same time

-Loud clicking noises when playing music, usually between pausing and swapping songs.

-Atrocious wifi. Doesn't work in the bedroom above the living room

-Spotify on R6 sounds much better than Galaxy Note 8 but if you add an A3 to both it's negligible.

-Bluetooth doesn't connect to my car's Kenwood stereo even though every phone I have works fine with it. Gives me a "pin code not recognised' error despite not prompting me for the pin. Useless for driving.

-Incredibly flat and dull sound without EQ although I admit it does sound clear and detailed and I can pick out instruments well and it goes louder than Note 8. But as above EQ distorts the sound horribly and overall it's coming off worse than A3+Note 8. And worse than my old Cowon J3 (rest in peace)

I'm not happy with the player at all at this point. I'm not the kind of person who has £500 to spare and I planned on using this player for years to come :frowning2:.
Try using MSEB instead of the EQ. Or try lowering the preamp slider on the left of the EQ screen (preferably as far low as you push the bass high)

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 18, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #4,414 of 6,628
Try using MSEB instead of the EQ. Or try lowering the preamp slider on the left of the EQ screen (preferably as far low as you push the bass high)

Hmm, didn't try that. I'll give it a go, thanks!

EDIT: That definitely does help. I had no idea to do that; the bass doesn't distort the lyrics any more when I drop the amp to about -5. I have to kick the volume a bit higher but it's worth the trade off. Thanks Joe!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #4,415 of 6,628
Okay so I received my Hiby R6 this morning and I must be doing something wrong or maybe it's faulty. First impressions are that this is a massive let down.

The key issues:
-Bass is weak and muddy. I'm shocked at how weak. And MSEB and Equalizer don't solve the issue, they just pile mud onto the sound and there's entire lyrics being distorted from a slight bass addition on the EQ. Eminem's new album in FLAC with a slight EQ tweak and a push towards bass extension and warmth distorts lyrics horribly. This is the most disappointing thing.

-My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with the Hiby app, a FLAC file and a Fiio A3 amp is better. Better bass and clearer sound at the same time

-Loud clicking noises when playing music, usually between pausing and swapping songs.

-Atrocious wifi. Doesn't work in the bedroom above the living room

-Spotify on R6 sounds much better than Galaxy Note 8 but if you add an A3 to both it's negligible.

-Bluetooth doesn't connect to my car's Kenwood stereo even though every phone I have works fine with it. Gives me a "pin code not recognised' error despite not prompting me for the pin. Useless for driving.

-Incredibly flat and dull sound without EQ although I admit it does sound clear and detailed and I can pick out instruments well and it goes louder than Note 8. But as above EQ distorts the sound horribly and overall it's coming off worse than A3+Note 8. And worse than my old Cowon J3 (rest in peace)

I'm not happy with the player at all at this point. I'm not the kind of person who has £500 to spare and I planned on using this player for years to come :frowning2:.

Sounds like my first unit. The replacement was perfect.

Sep 18, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #4,416 of 6,628
Sounds like my first unit. The replacement was perfect.
Ouch, really ? The sound is excellent on my R6 with different headphones (I usually use Fostex based E-MU Teak) and CIEMs, on both single end and balanced outputs... So much that I couldn't understand Wiped89 comments. I don't use EQ on this device, but MSEB is more interesting.
Bass is tight and punchy but of course this depends on the headphones or in-ears used.
@Wiped89 : what do you use your R6 with ?

Sep 18, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #4,417 of 6,628
Ouch, really ? The sound is excellent on my R6 with different headphones (I usually use Fostex based E-MU Teak) and CIEMs, on both single end and balanced outputs... So much that I couldn't understand Wiped89 comments. I don't use EQ on this device, but MSEB is more interesting.
Bass is tight and punchy but of course this depends on the headphones or in-ears used.
@Wiped89 : what do you use your R6 with ?

It's worth noting that I've tweaked the amp on the EQ to -5 which seems to have solved the distortion issue. There's still not as much bass as I'd like - a fair bit of sub bass though - but it's much better than it was. I'm using with a pair of V Moda LP2s (and sometimes a Fiio A3 amp). I like a clear sound with an added deep bass punch!

Sep 18, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #4,418 of 6,628
I have now tried multiple headphones and can't hear any difference between balanced and normal. Both sound just good. Probably only high impedance headphones will profit from balanced.
So far I can say that most of the IEMs are too sensitive for my device but this solved by using IEMatch. I have also received Toneking TS5 (4BA+1 dynamic) and it matches Hiby very well. This is really great sub 100$ addition.

Could someone also please explain the option "Gain" in the sound settings. I can hear the difference but can't really say which one I prefer...

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #4,420 of 6,628
Gain is to tweak the output power, High gain for power hungry or high impedance headphones, low gain for anything under say 32 or 50 ohm. With high gain you risk more hiss, but it depends on the synergy with the headphones too, their impedance, sensitivity.
If you don't hear any difference (in the sound quality), and you have enough volume, stay in low gain.
@Wiped89 : the R6 is rather neutral, it doesn't add bass (or anything muddy in low frequences), but it's a marvelous source for some TOTL CIEMs with good resolution. I use those and it's bliss : https://thecustomart.com/harmony-8-2/
I thought before recieveing the device that I'd need IEmatch or other impedance rectifier with these multiarmature CIEMs, but it's not necessary.

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #4,421 of 6,628
Thanks @oliwek2, I do like a more bassy sound which is a shame but I think I'm getting there with the settings now.

Re the gain question, my V Moda LP2s works a lot better in high gain than low gain, it's much louder and clearer. Same with my Fiio A3. Guess I have high gain headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #4,422 of 6,628
Has anyone tried to HiBy R6 with the Final Audio E5000 or Periodic Be?

I just purchased this player today and it's replacing my Cowon Plenue R.

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #4,423 of 6,628
Whom should I start working with for warranty claims? Any tips from you guys here? I'd rather work through this forum than another framework (preferably).
I write to Hiby via FB messenger and they answer quickly, but you never know who exactly answers. Sometimes in a chat-form. Email communication in this case also works, but it takes more time for response. My experience is positive, despite of issues, which happened with both R3 and R6.

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #4,425 of 6,628
Thanks @oliwek2, I do like a more bassy sound which is a shame but I think I'm getting there with the settings now.

Re the gain question, my V Moda LP2s works a lot better in high gain than low gain, it's much louder and clearer. Same with my Fiio A3. Guess I have high gain headphones.

Yeah. Any over the ears are probably not going to be a sensitive as IEMs. I'd recommend high gain unless you hear hiss, which again, will probably only happen with very sensitive IEMs, although I don't notice it very much even with the CA Andromeda, which are almost as sensitive as they come.... Use mseb/magic 8 ball to tweak the bass to your liking, I wouldn't generally EQ past +5-ish. Make sure to put mseb on "excessive"(values from-100 to 100) and just play around for a bit moving sliders all the way to the sides and what not, you can certainly tweak it to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back