HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jan 13, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #5,296 of 6,628
That is very kind of you. I am in L.A. If I can't get it going tomorrow on another computer, perhaps I could send you a pm with my phone number and I could try again with you on the phone.
Hate to take up your time, though.

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #5,298 of 6,628
ok am i going mad or what but are the Fast forward/ next song and Rewind/ previous the wrong way around? The play button points towards the top of the unit so that is forward right so the button above it should goto the next track but instead it goes to the previous track or the start of the one playing. Yet it is pointing in the same direction as the play button. This wrong no? Hiby R6 btw

Jan 14, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #5,299 of 6,628
ok am i going mad or what but are the Fast forward/ next song and Rewind/ previous the wrong way around? The play button points towards the top of the unit so that is forward right so the button above it should goto the next track but instead it goes to the previous track or the start of the one playing. Yet it is pointing in the same direction as the play button. This wrong no? Hiby R6 btw
I don't bother which way the arrow points as i can't see it anyway. Just remember middle button is play, button on top (nearer the power button, the one with LED light) is previous, the lower (last button is next track) thats all. Just enjoy the music.

Btw it may have something to do with Chinese interpretation as previous is "up" and next is "down". So that placement is logical for R6 main market in China and loads of the Chinese diaspora around the world. Just guessing.

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #5,300 of 6,628
I don't bother which way the arrow points as i can't see it anyway. Just remember middle button is play, button on top (nearer the power button, the one with LED light) is previous, the lower (last button is next track) thats all. Just enjoy the music.

Btw it may have something to do with Chinese interpretation as previous is "up" and next is "down". So that placement is logical for R6 main market in China and loads of the Chinese diaspora around the world. Just guessing.

might be the case, but even then if the up arrow direction is previous why doesnt the play button point in the same direction. Yes it isnt a biggie but for a premium priced ( for me ) product and not some cheap china knock off, i expected different lol

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #5,301 of 6,628
might be the case, but even then if the up arrow direction is previous why doesnt the play button point in the same direction. Yes it isnt a biggie but for a premium priced ( for me ) product and not some cheap china knock off, i expected different lol
Agree with you. This is where attention to detail comes into play. The Chinese have yet to learn that but they are fast learners. If they want to.

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #5,302 of 6,628
One thing I have to ask, here where I am, stuff like AK and the like are very expensive and they are premium. Fiio and Hiby would likely be mi-fi. So i guess premium is where one is located. As long as the sound is good. Anyway just a thought.

Jan 14, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #5,303 of 6,628
One thing I have to ask, here where I am, stuff like AK and the like are very expensive and they are premium. Fiio and Hiby would likely be mi-fi. So i guess premium is where one is located. As long as the sound is good. Anyway just a thought.
yes it is all relative BUT this hasnt cost me £100-£200 and if they are making the effort to make a high quality item in stainless steel and going to the effort of metal buttons with inset decals then they should make the extra effort to make sure that the function matches the decals. It is the little bits that make the difference and even if it costs £600 and not £3k then peeps will notice these imperfections. Yes it is all about the sound but my first thought when presses the button was eh??? What gives, then i tried again and even opened another app to check that i wasnt going mad. This was a disctraction to me for me even if it was only for 5mins. When i could have been enjoying the great sound from the device. ( more than 5mins as i am posting about it here ) :)

Jan 14, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #5,304 of 6,628
Relax. Enjoy. Don't repl
yes it is all relative BUT this hasnt cost me £100-£200 and if they are making the effort to make a high quality item in stainless steel and going to the effort of metal buttons with inset decals then they should make the extra effort to make sure that the function matches the decals. It is the little bits that make the difference and even if it costs £600 and not £3k then peeps will notice these imperfections. Yes it is all about the sound but my first thought when presses the button was eh??? What gives, then i tried again and even opened another app to check that i wasnt going mad. This was a disctraction to me for me even if it was only for 5mins. When i could have been enjoying the great sound from the device. ( more than 5mins as i am posting about it here ) :)
Hahaha. Relax. Enjoy. Don't reply. Just listen to the music.

Jan 14, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #5,305 of 6,628
I spent hours trying to update to Android 8--watched the video, read Joe's instructions. No joy on my Windows 10 Pro PC. Everything works until the very end. The scroll bar on the installer scrolls green to %100, then the bar turns RED. I tried every thing I could think of and read about. No joy. I was hoping this would fix the abysmal bluetooth range.

You are on Windows 10 so try this - skip step 1. Do not install Qualcomm driver (if you already install it, please uninstall it and restart computer just to make sure). Start with step 2. Connect R6 to computer, wait to see charging screen and then press "Power", "Volume +" and "Volume -" simultanously. Windows should detect and install correct Qualcomm driver. Then you can proceed to step three (make sure to check COM port) and it should update without problems.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #5,306 of 6,628
No LG device has more than one DAC chip inside. But repeating a falsehood enough times makes it the truth I suppose
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...unded-indiegogo.852042/page-294#post-14488296

No the balanced out on the R6 is not "balanced" in the sense of having a hot, cold terminal and a ground to reference against for noise rejection, but neither is that necessary in the short run to the headphones. What it does have is complete separation of the left and right channels thanks to removal of the common ground. But if you want a 5-pin output, that's the 4.4mm port on the upcoming R6 pro. I don't think it's necessary for the benefits of balanced on headphones as you seem to think, but it *is* a more sturdy port mechanically
Hiby R6 was my favorite player to date and your points on balenced output are noted. It's just seems odd that all balenced outputs have more power. Done on purpose. As far as the LG V40 "quad dac" is what lg named it. Marketing. Still has very capable ess sabre chip and an open. Quad dac is just a word they use. It actually refers to the output stages that are chosen by the phone. Which is my only grip. Can't change gain by yourself you have to trick the phone. I suggest you listen to the LG v40 with full size cans in high impedance mode then pass judgement. You will be surprised. Having said that, as far as a dedicated player Hiby R6 was my favorite. I'm looking forward to the pro version so I can give up my external amp. It would be like having the Astell & Kern kann without the bulk and software

Jan 14, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #5,307 of 6,628
Ever since the Tidal update that gives access to Masters albums everything I play from tidal is displaying 88.2k up in the corner whether it a masters album or hifi. Is this correct? Shouldn't mqa/master files display 96k, and standard hifi at 44.1 or 48k. Before the update, everything was playing at 44 if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if this is only certain masters albums that are 24bit 96k, or if they all should be that bitrate. Also I'm still on older android, so not sure if that might affect tidal.

If anyone else has any tips, or wants to share their experience with tidal after the Masters update it'd be much appreciated.

Jan 14, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #5,308 of 6,628
Hiby R6 was my favorite player to date and your points on balenced output are noted. It's just seems odd that all balenced outputs have more power. Done on purpose. As far as the LG V40 "quad dac" is what lg named it. Marketing. Still has very capable ess sabre chip and an open. Quad dac is just a word they use. It actually refers to the output stages that are chosen by the phone. Which is my only grip. Can't change gain by yourself you have to trick the phone. I suggest you listen to the LG v40 with full size cans in high impedance mode then pass judgement. You will be surprised. Having said that, as far as a dedicated player Hiby R6 was my favorite. I'm looking forward to the pro version so I can give up my external amp. It would be like having the Astell & Kern kann without the bulk and software

It's not a marketing ploy for the R6:
The power to the earpieces is proportional to the square of the difference in voltage between its two pins.
In the case of single-ended there's one op-amp driving the voltage swing against a fixed ground.
In the case of balanced there's two op-amps driving the voltage to swing in opposite directions. Thus the voltage swing would have doubled and the power would have quadrupled if not for other practical limitations in the system!

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 14, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #5,309 of 6,628
It's not a marketing ploy for the R6:
The power to the earpieces is proportional to the square of the difference in voltage between its two pins.
In the case of single-ended there's one op-amp driving the voltage swing against a fixed ground.
In the case of balanced there's two op-amps driving the voltage to swing in opposite directions. Thus the voltage swing would have doubled and the power would have quadrupled if not for other practical limitations in the system!
Joe, it’s worth taking a step back and reminding people that dual dacs = 2 dacs, “quad dac” = 1 dac and not 4 as might be expected from reading the phrase. Whether it sounds great or not great...it’s just misleading.

Jan 15, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #5,310 of 6,628
Joe, it’s worth taking a step back and reminding people that dual dacs = 2 dacs, “quad dac” = 1 dac and not 4 as might be expected from reading the phrase. Whether it sounds great or not great...it’s just misleading.

I'm quoting his comment on my very post dedicated to debunking the "quad" DAC. I don't know how many times I can repeat it :sleepy:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back