HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
May 25, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #2,326 of 3,181
The only way to tell is to take the player out of the case after a while of use and feel its temperature compared to a period of use without a case. And depending on the temperature of the places you're using it in, you can be anywhere from entirely fine with the case on to "are you sure you even want to listen to music in this weather? And you'd like to put a case on me? When you'd much rather run around butt naked yourself?"
😛
I use the bundled case in indoor climate, ambient temp. <= 72 F, never more than a wee tad warm. I'm told that charging while in use is the only setting in which it may get toasty so never do so.

May 25, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #2,327 of 3,181
The only way to tell is to take the player out of the case after a while of use and feel its temperature compared to a period of use without a case. And depending on the temperature of the places you're using it in, you can be anywhere from entirely fine with the case on to "are you sure you even want to listen to music in this weather? And you'd like to put a case on me? When you'd much rather run around butt naked yourself?"
😛
I usually use my devices without a case (except for the Kindle), but the RS6 has such a beautiful case that the temptation to use it is quite strong, huh. :smile:

May 27, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #2,329 of 3,181
I first found a file from 2L nordic. I used that as a benchmark for its native recording, MQA, which OS by RS6. I also used the native file for myself to oversample it using a program called PGGB to the same level which RS6 oversample for the MQA file.
In short, OS seems to only work for the MQA file on RS6. It adds a pleasant warmth to the sound, which I usually expect DSD to sound like. The same file oversample to 705 kHz sounded sharper, more detail in the treble, which suggests Hiby on FIR filter in OS adds warmth at a sacrifice to treble speed and attack.
RS6 supports 2xDXD, which is crazy! I did not try 32bit DXD, and all files were 24 bit, but if you really have a favourite album and you want to hear what it is capable of, try upsampling it and feeding it to your RS6, you never know what you might hear!

PGGB Elevates Sound Quality with Improved Precision
https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/blogs/news/pggb-adds-high-precision-modes
The listening group thus expected some improvement in sound quality but they were shocked at what they heard. Music had a much improved transparency and realism with more nuance and natural detail. If you think this seems far fetched, please check out the high precision processed tracks below (16fS @ 24 bit depth and other settings at defaults). Tracks provided under fair use guidelines for education of the audiophile public.

I really don't post much here anymore, though it's my birthday today and I'd like to give all of you a present.

Please visit the site linked above and get those sample tracks for free, let's make sure that we're enabling NOS for the very best results.

qi97wkR.jpg

The first 3 tracks got 128-bit while the last one was created with 256-bit floating point precision respectively.

IMHO we don't even know what RS6 is TRULY capable of until we've got our hands on one of those sample tracks.

May 27, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #2,330 of 3,181
https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/blogs/news/pggb-adds-high-precision-modes

I really don't post much here anymore, though it's my birthday today and I'd like to give all of you a present.

Please visit the site linked above and get those sample tracks for free, let's make sure that we're enabling NOS for the very best results.

qi97wkR.jpg

The first 3 tracks got 128-bit while the last one was created with 256-bit floating point precision respectively.

IMHO we don't even know what RS6 is TRULY capable of until we've got our hands on one of those sample tracks.

If you are resampling with a million taps you should be PROUD of how many ripples there are in the square wave, and those ripples would extend all the way out to 1 million samples from the stairstep~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In any case, the OS/NOS distinction does not apply to tracks over 96kHz. They're always played "straight" in this regard (you could call it NOS). But would not give the yellow line result if your square wave is resampled from 4x kHz to 7xx kHz using a 1 million tap resampling filter, if those 1 million taps are being used in any meaningful way (steeper cutoff--more taps required. With more than 1 million taps to play with you can literally perfectly cut off a 44.1kHz recording at 22049Hz leaving less than 1Hz for transition. Which would let you pass as much HF information as possible. And cause ripples 1 million samples in length if there's significant content at 22050Hz to be cut out.)

Unless you're using an apodizing filter, but in which case the stairstep would be more like a slope than a step. And you would have no use for more than a few thousand taps.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 27, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #2,331 of 3,181
By the way, it would be interesting to know who listens in NOS mode and who listens in OS mode. I personally think that on most tracks the player in OS mode sounds more natural, but on tracks with poor recording quality, NOS definitely wins.

May 27, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #2,332 of 3,181
By the way, it would be interesting to know who listens in NOS mode and who listens in OS mode. I personally think that on most tracks the player in OS mode sounds more natural, but on tracks with poor recording quality, NOS definitely wins.

NOS when I want less sparkle/ringing and more direct mids. Not a massive difference between the two however, unlike a Cayin RU6 where they sound vastly different.

May 27, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #2,333 of 3,181
NOS when I want less sparkle/ringing and more direct mids. Not a massive difference between the two however, unlike a Cayin RU6 where they sound vastly different.
Weird, I hear a huge difference, mostly in the treble. NOS is just darker and a bit rougher. I get the most out of NOS when I listen to something like Terror — The Damned, the Shamed, it's just the best combination of player and music, maximum enjoyment. Or Slayer — Undisputed Attitude. But other genres may lack treble.

Update: To be honest, I listened to these two albums in OS mode and realized that they sound just as great as they did in NOS mode. Good music can't be ruined, right? :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #2,334 of 3,181

qi97wkR.jpg

Interested to have a listen, but not sure what I'm doing wrong as I'm getting "File format not supported" error when I try to play any of those 4 tracks on my RS6.

They're just .wav's right, so what's the trick? They play OK in Apple Music and sound pretty good with the BF2...

May 27, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #2,335 of 3,181

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 27, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #2,336 of 3,181
I think that's because the player only supports up to 384kHz as an INPUT sample rate (although it would upsample up to 768kHz for MQA)...
When I'm feeding it 2xDXD (768 hkz wav) what is the player doing? I see t play it flawlessly but at the same time it disables all filter, EQ setting.

Is it downsampling to some other frequency?

May 27, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #2,337 of 3,181
When I'm feeding it 2xDXD (768 hkz wav) what is the player doing? I see t play it flawlessly but at the same time it disables all filter, EQ setting.

Is it downsampling to some other frequency?
Scratch what I said above, I would have to submit the PGGB files to HiBy HQ for analysis.

I see the player is capable of up to 768kHz direct playback now, I just haven't ever used it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back