Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable - new tiny and mighty DAC&AMP
Aug 29, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #76 of 862
You should contact HIDIZS, maybe your unit has some kind of issue (?)

Sonata was pretty much recognized right away on my PC and phone, didn't cause any issues (?)

Have you been able to switch between the different fw versions?

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #78 of 862
Have not tried that. I used it as it came from the factory, worked well, didn't try changing anything about it (?)

I see, I'm having problems changing fw as well that's why I'm asking. I'd like to be able to answer phone calls when using IEM's/headphones with a mic with it but I've not been able to activate that feature.....

Aug 30, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #79 of 862
You should contact HIDIZS, maybe your unit has some kind of issue (?)
I did it and got a prompt first response. I then updated the firmware successfully to "pure music" on my notebook. I only had to give it the correct VID and PID I took from the device manager (VID: 22E1 and PID: E202). My music device the LG G5 then "saw" the Sonata with several apps, the Oneplus 3 still does not recognize it, but that is not my main music device anyway.

Sep 5, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #80 of 862
This DAC is exactly what I've been looking for! But...

I have a Huawei Honor 8 (Android 7 / Emui 5), and from what I've read in this thread, threre has been some issues with compatibility.

Never had any problem when using my smartphone with other OTG devices, such as the Topping NX2, the Xduoo XQ-23. I even tried it with a mouse and a thumb drive using a OnePlus OTG adapter, and it has worked fine.

I am interested in using FW mode D, but I would like to know if this will work with my Honor 8. Is there anyone who tried with this Huawei smartohone generation (Honor 8 / Huawei P9...)?

Sep 5, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #81 of 862
This DAC is exactly what I've been looking for! But...

I have a Huawei Honor 8 (Android 7 / Emui 5), and from what I've read in this thread, threre has been some issues with compatibility.

Never had any problem when using my smartphone with other OTG devices, such as the Topping NX2, the Xduoo XQ-23. I even tried it with a mouse and a thumb drive using a OnePlus OTG adapter, and it has worked fine.

I am interested in using FW mode D, but I would like to know if this will work with my Honor 8. Is there anyone who tried with this Huawei smartohone generation (Honor 8 / Huawei P9...)?
It does not work for Huawei, there are people who comment and it does not work

Sep 5, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #82 of 862
It does not work for Huawei, there are people who comment and it does not work

Thank you.

Apparently, @carlymart made it work with Huawei P20, but this smartphone is a newer generation than mine's, with a new processor. Maybe I'll contact Hibizs...

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #83 of 862
Thank you.

Apparently, @carlymart made it work with Huawei P20, but this smartphone is a newer generation than mine's, with a new processor. Maybe I'll contact Hibizs...
I'm almost certainly not because Huawei uses the usb-c in another way. For something the htc, google, essential phone are not compatible with the same adapters that can use Huawei, Xiaomi and other Asian brands

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #84 of 862
I have 2 headphones: a Superlux HD 681 Evo (32Ω) and Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250Ω)
My PC has a good internal amplifier and both works pretty well (with the DT 990 Pro I have to keep the volume under 60%, otherwise it becomes really loud) and I have a OnePlus 5 which handle surprisingly the DT 990 Pro (at 100% it's still at a lower volume than my PC at 60%)
With this cable I should get much better results both in my PC and in my phone with both headphone (I'm sure that the Superlux will get advantages but I'm not sure about the DT 990 Pro)?

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #85 of 862
Yes, correct.

Just ordered this little guy (~25 euro with discount which is steal), we will see if it will improve listening experience from simple Asus laptop with integrated audio.

Sep 13, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #87 of 862
Just received this little guy today. Just a note for potential buyers- Right out of the box my unit could only do 24-bit 48 kHz maximum (both Mac and PC). I tried to flash the firmware to the Pure Music profile on my PC (you cannot use Mac OS to update the firmware) but kept getting an error saying that the USB was not detected. Turns out you have to manually enter the device USB ID recognized by your PC. Mine were VID: 22E1 and PID: E202. You can find these details under Hardware Manger and then going to Details and Hardware ID. Once you put those values in, the Sonata HD II will be detected and the firmware update process will run. Once done the Sonata HD's full potential will be unlocked, going all the way to 24-bit 192 kHz :)

Currently testing these out with my ER4SR. First impressions vs my 2017 MacBook Pro 15" - it sounds a tint warmer (which I enjoy), bass is more rounded and deeper, the overall sound is more full bodied. Vocals sound a bit more relaxed and laid back. The MacBook Pro sounds a little thin sounding in comparison. One of the main reasons why I got this was because I could plug it directly into my MBP via USB-C without needing any dongles. For $40, I am loving this tiny little powerhouse.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #88 of 862
Got my Sonata today.

Regarding the uncertainty of it being able to play on Huawei smartphones, here you go:

WP_20180917_20_23_55_Pro.jpg

Using the "D" firmware. Thanks @Lieon , the IDs you used worked on mine!

As for the sound... It is great. Much better than the Honor 8 indeed. Never had this experience from a smartphone and didn't believe this could work so well.

Sep 19, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #90 of 862
Is there a way to know whether or not I flashed my unit to D correctly?
Yes. First of all, the software will pop up a confirmation. Second, when you use the adaptor with a smartphone and an app that allows you to lock on usb bit perfect transfer, you will be able to play 192khz files. On other firmwares, you won't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back